Is it colic?

jean1986

dear mummies,my son has been crying every night @ the same time. 5am wake up for feed,Feed already chg diapers already still cry.den fall asleep @ 630. den 7 cry again till 8 on n off. is this colic?
it's driving me crazy cause of the timing n of coz his getting louder crying.

Phoebii Cheng

Mayb you feel his tummy? Is it hard? Could be feeling uncomfortable....like what Ivy mummy says, you could rub some ru yi oil on his tummy and sole of his feet, put on socks at night.....

If crying persists, mayb you want to see the PD to confirm if it is colic? and get some med to relieve

apollo

babe, i agree with the other mummies, u can try apply ru yi oil 1st.. but if ur baby still keep crying, better bring to a pd. if confirm is colic, they can prescribe some medi for him. though those medi can be bought at most pharmacy, but better bring to pd, let him prescribe the dosage =)

jean1986

we've been putting ruyi oil but no use leh.. today he's been crying on off whole day..don't know what's the problem. paed can b seen @ polyclinic too right?

baby_elmo

how old is ur baby?

my baby is to be the same as yours.

then we tried to apply ru yi you and wrap my gal up with mini fleece blanket at night. she will sleep soundly till she's hungry then wake up. we have standby a pacifier for her to prevent her from prolong crying n got wind in her tummy.

woofy55

how old is your son? could be tummy got wind, could be hungry.. if u tried ruyi oil oredi, perhaps u want to increase the volume of the feed and see how? Has he been pooing?

jean1986

my son is only a week plus old.. he is piping regularly. mostly immediately aft a feed or even during a feed.

sorry,what is a mini fleece blanket?
I bought the colic drop fr pharmacy drip it into the feeding jus now.
hopefully it works.

diymummy

Hi jean,

At 1 week, your baby probably hit a growth spurt where his appetite will suddenly increase. During growth spurts, my baby would cry every hr for milk. This would usually last for a few days to a week.

If your baby's tummy looks bloated, it will be big and hard.

Also, is your baby poo-ing fine?

What is the brand of colic drops that you bought? What dosage are you giving? You should be only giving 1ml at this point because your baby is so young.

jean1986

the tummy looks fine to me..
poo is ok yellow in colour.. I used the blue packaging colic drop. only dropped 0.5ml as that is the min dosage stated

diymummy

0.5ml is fine. :)

It could be a growth spurt if you notice that his appetite increase suddenly. If whenever he cries, you feed milk and he is ok, it could well be a growth spurt. It will pass in a few days.

The next growth spurt will be at around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mths, 6 mths and 9 mths. I got this from kellymom website.

angelwendy

Yup ytd i tried to give my son the colic drop also.. cause he is having colic.. after that he is ok... :001_302: but of course dont use too often...

just wanna ask.. any mummy apply ru yi oil when baby is 1 week old?? or we must wait till 1 month old?? shall we avoid the cord area??

apollo

my son is only a week plus old.. he is piping regularly. mostly immediately after a feed or even during a feed.

I bought the colic drop fr pharmacy drip it into the feeding just now.
hopefully it works.
babe, i think for 1 week old baby, u better dun self medicate him!

always go to a pd, to get him prescribe u the right dosage. as the dosage for babies is not go by age but weight.

even now, i dont buy new medi for ds. i only self-medicate him with the previous medi his pd prescribed him. most of the time, i will call bk the clinic to check with them, esp when ds was younger. =)

Yup ytd i tried to give my son the colic drop also.. cause he is having colic.. after that he is ok... :001_302: but of course dont use too often...

just wanna ask.. any mummy apply ru yi oil when baby is 1 week old?? or we must wait till 1 month old?? shall we avoid the cord area??
my mum and CL started apply ru yi oil for ds once we came bk home. ard 4days old iirc..

if his cord have not drop, i think better avoid applying at that area..

Pamper

i apply ru yi oil the 1st day my baby return home.. i did the same for my elder one too.. they are fine.. normally i don avoid the cord area.. my father say is ok my mother say must avoid.. so it really depends.. if you are concern.. jus avoid to play safe.. most imptly baby will feel comfy after that n slp well.. ^^

joeyz

my son is only a week plus old.. he is piping regularly. mostly immediately after a feed or even during a feed.

I bought the colic drop fr pharmacy drip it into the feeding just now.
hopefully it works.
my son also hv this problem when he is week old back thn, he will cry esp at night, we even thought he saw those 'dirty' thing, cos the cry seem really like v ke-lian, me feel so heartache.. brought him to see PD, PD prescribe anti-colic drop and i fed him gripe water too. Thn i realised it could be the teat that is wearing out, hence i changed his teat and also try to pull out every 6-8 suck and it seem to work..:)

jean1986

my son also have this problem when he is week old back thn, he will cry esp at night, we even thought he saw those 'dirty' thing, cos the cry seem really like very ke-lian, me feel so heartache.. brought him to see pediatrician, pediatrician prescribe anti-colic drop and i fed him gripe water too. Thn i realised it could be the teat that is wearing out, hence i changed his teat and also try to pull out every 6-8 suck and it seem to work..:)
teat wear out so fast??
hmm the bottle i using only abt few days old leh..
i realise his belly button is bleeding after the cord dropped off. probably it's painful?

Mummy to Baby V

teat wear out so fast??
hmm the bottle i using only about few days old ..
i realise his belly button is bleeding after the cord dropped off. probably it's painful?
Paediatrician and our home-visit nurse said the cord area is not painful, need to clean often with alcohol wipe, and the way they clean it is very thorough and certainly not gentle. :)

Newborns may cry because they are not used to life outside the womb. Heard of the 4th trimester? Try reading Happiest Baby on the Block book or watch the DVD on how to soothe a crying baby in seconds or minutes.

Some ways:
- white noise (e.g. white noise CD, hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, washing machine) Womb is noisy while night time at home is quiet. White noise stops my boy's cries very quickly. :)
- swaddling or baby-wearing (sense of security as in womb)
- sucking (especially on the breasts, provide great comfort to baby)
- tummy massage (from baby's right side to left, top to down, little finger taps, lift his knees towards tummy. My boy farted A LOT when we did this. After he grew up a little, he was amused by this too.) Since the tummy massage worked brilliantly, we did not use any colic drops.

My boy was super-fussy and gassy: could cry from 2-6 am at times!!! The above methods saved our sleep. Good luck!

Last edited:

angelwendy

Paediatrician and our home-visit nurse said the cord area is not painful, need to clean often with alcohol wipe, and the way they clean it is very thorough and certainly not gentle. :)

Newborns may cry because they are not used to life outside the womb. Heard of the 4th trimester? Try reading Happiest Baby on the Block book or watch the DVD on how to soothe a crying baby in seconds or minutes.

Some ways:
- white noise (e.g. white noise CD, hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, washing machine) Womb is noisy while night time at home is quiet. White noise stops my boy's cries very quickly. :)
- swaddling or baby-wearing (sense of security as in womb)
- sucking (especially on the breasts, provide great comfort to baby)
- tummy massage (from baby's right side to left, top to down, little finger taps, lift his knees towards tummy. My boy farted A LOT when we did this. After he grew up a little, he was amused by this too.) Since the tummy massage worked brilliantly, we did not use any colic drops.

My boy was super-fussy and gassy: could cry from 2-6 am at times!!! The above methods saved our sleep. Good luck!
May i know where to get white noise CD??

Mummy to Baby V

We bought a sleep bear with white noise and a CD with various types of sounds (e.g. waterfall, waves, rainfall). Should be able to find such CDs for sleep/relaxation in most CD shops.

You may try recording your own white noise sound for 10 minutes and loop the sound continuously.

Even now, my boy is asleep with rainfall sound, this also helps mask noise in the household. He needs this because he is a very light-sleeper who wakes up frequently and very kaypo.

Detailed reviews of our experience at white noise |

Ivy Miao

My boy sleeps very very soundly with music on. Dont let the surrounding be toooo quiet when he sleeps. Else a slightest noise will makes em 'jump' which is no good. Let him get use to having sounds ard him. He wont feel scared and lonely. Get those yellow dimmer lights too. I dunno why, but when I off the lights in my room, totally darkness, son will keep crying. With mild lights on, he seems to be enjoying it + music + air-con, he can sleep thru 6hrs without crying for milk. Till sunrise...