Tyon

Hi all wonderful parents

My 5 month old son is diagnosed with Cornelia Lange Syndrome (CdLS). I have written an introduction in another thread, let me post it here:

My 3rd child Taeyon was born premature at 35 weeks. He was born in Dubai UAE as our family has been living here for the past 4.5 years.

Taeyon spend his first month in the ICU as he weighs only 1.48kg at birth. Not only does he has upper limbs abnormalities (max. 2 fingers on each arm and the left arm cannot be straighten), he also has bilateral cleft palate and gaps in his heart. He was eventually diagnosed with Cornelia Lange Syndrome (CdLS) which is rare affecting approx. 1 in 10,000 - 50,000 live births. My heart breaks when I see him for the first time especially when he first open his swollen eyes and look at me. Our lives were never the same then.

I remember one of the worst thing was to tell our families back home about him. Seeing their grief on the webcam was really heart wrenching.

Now Taeyon is 4 months, coming to 5 months soon. He has to be tube fed as he cannot swallow. There were many questions in our minds. Why didn’t the amnio test indicate this? Why didn’t the gynae detect his deformed hands during the numerous detailed scans? So many ‘Why?’ but there were no good answers. There were few useful resources we found on the internet and we learned that CdLS happens due to a mutation of genes and it could happen to anyone.

Recently he was hospitalized due to pneumonia. He stayed 4 long weeks. Now he’s home and slowly recovering. He is still weak from the infection and requires constant oxygen supply to maintain good saturation. His blood test still shows high level of CO2. He requires frequent suctioning which we both hate so much. But there was no other choice.

Life has to go on, we have to move on forward; I still have 2 other kids to take care of. Our initial grief has become more like an acceptance and we are more or less back on track.

Thats my story. Now I have a question: one of the doctor here suggest that we do a MRI or CT scan to see whether Tyon's brain is normal. He says most of these CdLS children have some degree of brain retardation or damage which we expect from the internet information we researched.

Me and hubby were not sure whether it is necessary. I mean so what if his brain is not normal? That doesnt change anything right? We will still continue to put him in therapy sessions and try to help him as best as we can. So what's the point? The doctor says it will help forsee whats going to happen in the next 6 months. That doesnt seem like a good reason. But nevertheless I still have some doubt at the back of my mind whether to do the scan at this young age.

What do you parents think? For those parents whose child did the brain scan; is it useful to know the results?

chloe.lim

Alpha Male
Hi all wonderful parents

My 5 month old son is diagnosed with Cornelia Lange Syndrome (CdLS). I have written an introduction in another thread, let me post it here:

My 3rd child Taeyon was born premature at 35 weeks. He was born in Dubai UAE as our family has been living here for the past 4.5 years.

Taeyon spend his first month in the ICU as he weighs only 1.48kg at birth. Not only does he has upper limbs abnormalities (max. 2 fingers on each arm and the left arm cannot be straighten), he also has bilateral cleft palate and gaps in his heart. He was eventually diagnosed with Cornelia Lange Syndrome (CdLS) which is rare affecting approx. 1 in 10,000 - 50,000 live births. My heart breaks when I see him for the first time especially when he first open his swollen eyes and look at me. Our lives were never the same then.

I remember one of the worst thing was to tell our families back home about him. Seeing their grief on the webcam was really heart wrenching.

Now Taeyon is 4 months, coming to 5 months soon. He has to be tube fed as he cannot swallow. There were many questions in our minds. Why didn’t the amnio test indicate this? Why didn’t the gynae detect his deformed hands during the numerous detailed scans? So many ‘Why?’ but there were no good answers. There were few useful resources we found on the internet and we learned that CdLS happens due to a mutation of genes and it could happen to anyone.

Recently he was hospitalized due to pneumonia. He stayed 4 long weeks. Now he’s home and slowly recovering. He is still weak from the infection and requires constant oxygen supply to maintain good saturation. His blood test still shows high level of CO2. He requires frequent suctioning which we both hate so much. But there was no other choice.

Life has to go on, we have to move on forward; I still have 2 other kids to take care of. Our initial grief has become more like an acceptance and we are more or less back on track.

Thats my story. Now I have a question: one of the doctor here suggest that we do a MRI or CT scan to see whether Tyon's brain is normal. He says most of these CdLS children have some degree of brain retardation or damage which we expect from the internet information we researched.

Me and hubby were not sure whether it is necessary. I mean so what if his brain is not normal? That doesnt change anything right? We will still continue to put him in therapy sessions and try to help him as best as we can. So what's the point? The doctor says it will help forsee whats going to happen in the next 6 months. That doesnt seem like a good reason. But nevertheless I still have some doubt at the back of my mind whether to do the scan at this young age.

What do you parents think? For those parents whose child did the brain scan; is it useful to know the results?
Hi Tyon,
We have a 4.5 yr old daughter who fits some of the description of cdls (After reading on your post i done some research), problem is she has not been diagnosed til today. & we did not pursue it either but focus purely on her needs. However it was glaring from her birth of her physical defect; namely microcephaly.
During the confusion initial year we had her go through an MRI, it was inconclusive on the doctor's point of view and all he could do was murmur a 'i guess it will be a 5% chance it will happen in your next child' which was not good enough for us, and til today the MRI hardcopies are sitting in a corner of the drawer collecting dust.
I think the purpose of these scans are to find out the diagnosis and since in your situation you already have a diagnosis we think it is not necessary to go through scans etc

For us we had an initial EEG done as well to determine daughter's sleeping issues. & we did find out that because of her microcephaly, she had very bad spiking brain activity during deep sleep, thats why she was always screaming in the middle of her sleep.

best of luck

epicurean

Hi Tyon,

I'm very sorry to hear about your son's condition and struggles. If there's anything, just ask in the forum coz one of the most daunting things about raising a child with special needs, is feeling alone on the journey of parenthood.

About the MRI scan, it was useful for my boy coz the cause of his cerebral palsy and epilepsy is bleeding and swelling of his brain. So at 1 week of life, when the bleeding stopped and swelling subsided, he did an MRI scan to determine the extent of damage. His neuro saw that the structure (including ventricular structures) is ok, along with the middle & back parts of his brain but there's extensive damage in his frontal lobe. That scan was useful to me & hubby in that its painfully blunt results shook us out of denial about Seb's condition. Our expectations became more realistic as we understood the implications of his medical issues. For his neuro, the results was a baseline for the next MRI scan taken when he was 5 months old which showed how his brain has developed (or not) and reassessing the extent of damage.

All his therapists (and osteopath) have seen his MRI scans which drive home the point about how low-functioning & high-dependency he is and consequently, how intensive and extensive therapy needs to be. In a way, those scans help me sift thru his therapists as there are those who were so horrified and were clearly too inexperienced to help him. We also used copies of the scans to get second opinions from other radiologists.

Hope this helps!