Is it too early to start school(pre nursery) at age 2.5? Pre-nur is it just a warm-up

mac_t13

I'm a SAHM, my girl is 30 mth. I'm in a dilemma as to whether to send her to pre-nursery next year or let her start nursery at 3.5? Is it too early to start school? She is the only child at home, her playmates are mummy and grandmother. Her daily routine are flash card, watch mio-luli channel and some educational videos from library. She goes to playground daily and goes out to library or shopping mall once a week. Pre-nursery and nursery are they just a warm up for them to go formal K1? She used to go playgroup at 2 for abt 4 mth because she picked up lots of bad habits from there, so I stop her from going. She has no separation anxiety since the first day of school. Everytime I asked her "do u want to go to school", her ans is "Yes"! I would like to have some advice from mummy out there. Thanks

Last edited:

CanCanMum

Re: Is it too early to start school(pre nursery) at age 2.5? Pre-nur is it just a war

Hi,

30months toddler is ready to explore new friends and how to interact with others.

i send Baber to playgroup when he was 30months!! Its fun!! Although they did not learn much but he has made many friends. I noticed he is more vocal too after he went to school.

basically they learn how to interact with others of the same age. Its good exposure for them.

Baber attends nursery when he was 3 years old. He enjoys school and has learnt a lot.

So i would suggest u can start looking around for some playgroups to enrol yr DD in~~~good luck.

There are a few suggestions in this forum to look for, have fun!!

Ting

Re: Is it too early to start school(pre nursery) at age 2.5? Pre-nur is it just a war

i would think 30 months is a good time to start letting her go to pre sch n explore n interact.
pin was in CC since 18 mths old.
she learns much in sch, gets more sociable n she enjoys pretty herself pretty much.
her teacher commented she is very helpful with her peers n is like a big sister to them (though they r more or less same age) n she has good leadership skills. :)

perhaps your girl is a very interactive child n enjoys being arnd peers her age, thus, she loves to go sch. perhaps u can start her off with playgroup first.

Jan

My boy actually attended those toodler class when he was 20 mths. I really see alot of difference in him. And when comparing him with the other toodlers of his age, he is able to express himself better in term of vocal... and he is also able to enjoy company from his peers...

The only thing you have to face is they get sick very easily when they start going to school but i believe all these will come sooner or later...

I sent my daughter to toddler's class when she was 18 months old. Its beneficial and they learnt how to share and pack things after using them So its pretty good. :)

And you can have a break when ur child is in school as well. hehe

helenkong

hmm, 2.5 years old is a lil bit early for me.
My son is 3 years old.
And he always as in Homeschool.

I also have the worries about the nursery as our babies might learned bad habits from there.

I once send him to nursery when he was 30 months old.
And just 2 days, he learned to use finger to point at ppl's face and scold u or demand u...(act like teacher-i realize that when i have my 3rd visit while they were schooling)
Unfortunately, it doesnt make me feel pleasant when i saw my son was actually been bitten by a baby girl( nearly everyday).
One room fits with more than 20 babies...
That also another issue.

So i decided to let my son to have home school which I'm the teacher and my mom is the assistant till now.
its been practicing for few months,so far so good.
my neighbors also sending their babies over to my house so they also can have social surrounding and learn together.

If your babies are ready for school, then it wont be a problem.
Just to remind that there are articles that suggesting parents not to send their kids to school too early which is before aged 4.
Well, i guess it has something to do with their cerebral brain.
I'll find out the article again and share it with you here :p

musikbox

I sent my son and daughter to school both at 18 months for exposure.
I try to start off slowly with only once a week for about an hour or so. I see good benefits to both as they response to instructions better, become more independent and enjoy play too. I sent them to play school early as I believe that the social interaction help them to see outside of themselves. My mother, who looks after them most of the time tend to be more protective of them and so, my fear initially was that they'll be too pampered and lack independency. Well, school seems to help create a channel for them to experience outside of their comfort zone. My son is already 6 years and is still keen to go to school. I guess choosing a good programme for your child is important too. One which promotes bad habits is definitely no no of course. And, YES! It actually makes me feel less guilty when I stay home and doesn't really do much play/teaching with them. School is a real good option for a lazy mum like myself...heehee...