Is my 1 yr old eating too little?

AngieTan

Hi all,

I am concerned whether my son is eating too little but his appetite has been small since newborn... Now I feed him the following on a daily basis : -

Morning : 150 - 180 ml of formula milk (depending on how much he wants to drink but nothing more than 180 ml)

Lunch : Meat or fish porridge (full Avent bowl meant for 12 months old)

Late afternoon : 150 - 180 ml of formula milk

Dinner : Meat or fish porridge / pasta

Right before bedtime : 150 - 180 ml of formula milk

I think his milk intake is too little as compared to other babies I know... He once reached 210 ml of milk but now slowly dropped to 150 ml... I am worried... But now their main meal is not milk is it? Still, I see other babies have more milk intakes for one day... Cannot seem to increase his appetite all these while...

He's not on the fleshy type but weight is okay... And still very active and playful... Should I be concerned? Just get very worried and upset to see his intake being so little as compared to other babies...

Appreciate all your advices...

Last edited:

Phoebii Cheng

For lunch & dinner did he finish the meals? for my son, if he drink milk, then he won't eat much for lunch or dinner.....

I think for 150 to 180ml of milk is ok for 1 year old, I know of my son's friend, who only drink 120ml ......

Different bb has diff appetite I guess

ling.er

Morning 630Am - 4 Oz of milk
9Am - Noodles / porridge / Pancake ( Depend wat In law buy & give )
12pm-1pm before slp another 4 Oz of milk
3-4Pm - Fish / Pumkin Porridg
In between 5-9pm he eat bread / bisuit / baby bite
Before slp 6-7Oz of milk !!!

I found it ok.As long ur baby weigh didt decrease so u dun have to worry much..

glitterfy1223343T604D30.jpg

Hi all,

I am concerned whether my son is eating too little but his appetite has been small since newborn... Now I feed him the following on a daily basis : -

Morning : 150 - 180 ml of formula milk (depending on how much he wants to drink but nothing more than 180 ml)

Lunch : Meat or fish porridge (full Avent bowl meant for 12 months old)

Late afternoon : 150 - 180 ml of formula milk

Dinner : Meat or fish porridge / pasta

Right before bedtime : 150 - 180 ml of formula milk

I think his milk intake is too little as compared to other babies I know... He once reached 210 ml of milk but now slowly dropped to 150 ml... I am worried... But now their main meal is not milk is it? Still, I see other babies have more milk intakes for one day... Cannot seem to increase his appetite all these while...

He's not on the fleshy type but weight is okay... And still very active and playful... Should I be concerned? Just get very worried and upset to see his intake being so little as compared to other babies...

Appreciate all your advices...

Agree with Ling.Er mama, it is ok but maybe u can try to give him fruit pureen in between of any two of meals.:D
9Am - Noodles / porridge / Pancake ( Depend what In law buy & give )
12pm-1pm before sleep another 4 Oz of milk
Before sleep 6-7Oz of milk !!!

I found it ok.As long your baby weigh didt decrease so you dont have to worry much..

View attachment 64277

AngieTan

For lunch & dinner did he finish the meals? for my son, if he drink milk, then he won't eat much for lunch or dinner.....

I think for 150 to 180ml of milk is ok for 1 year old, I know of my son's friend, who only drink 120ml ......

Different bb has diff appetite I guess
Ya he does finish his solids most of the time... Just that milk he always don't drink much... Should I not be too worried about the intake of milk now since he already turned one?

AngieTan

9Am - Noodles / porridge / Pancake ( Depend wat In law buy & give )
12pm-1pm before slp another 4 Oz of milk
Before slp 6-7Oz of milk !!!

I found it ok.As long ur baby weigh didt decrease so u dun have to worry much..

View attachment 64277
Okie... Looks like yours drinking lesser milk in the day hor? Hehe... May I ask how heavy is your boy?

AngieTan

Agree with Ling.Er mama, it is ok but maybe u can try to give him fruit pureen in between of any two of meals.:D
I am trying to squeeze in one more solid in the morning but tough as my boy wakes up quite late every morning so timing will be super tight... But I will continue trying... Scared overfeeding him also... Headache... :p

ling.er

Angie Mummy my boy was 9kg on the last weigh which was nearly 1month ago .. He dun drink much milk as well but he like to eat biscuit / bread / macoroni ~~!!

Wat time ur so wake up??

Mine is around 8-830am

my girl hitting 1YO on 10th next month, also quite worried her appetite, just weigh her at the doctor few days back, she's 9kg exact. doctor say ok.

8.30am - 120ml milk
12.30pm - finish a bowl of rice or porridge or whatever i cook, its not a big bowl, maybe like 3-4 tablespoons full of food. with fish, pumpkin or frog leg.
1.30pm- 120ml milk
3.30pm - biscuits
4.30pm - 120ml milk
7.30pm - dinnner, depends on what we eat for the day, usually rice or porridge she will eat more.
straight after dinner is fruit juice.
10.30pm or depends her bed time sometimes 10 or 11pm, 180ml of milk with cereal in it.

usually last till 5-8am depends on her, then she will cry for milk..

but her solid really quite little.

AngieTan

Angie Mummy my boy was 9kg on the last weigh which was nearly 1month ago .. He dun drink much milk as well but he like to eat biscuit / bread / macoroni ~~!!

Wat time ur so wake up??

Mine is around 8-830am
My son weighing 10.5 kg when weighed on 8 Sept... Guess it's ok?

My son wakes up between 8 to 10 am but I usually start his day with milk feed first... Wondering whether that's ok... But solid for breakfast will be hard to squeeze in... Hmm...

AngieTan

my girl hitting 1YO on 10th next month, also quite worried her appetite, just weigh her at the doctor few days back, she's 9kg exact. doctor say ok.

8.30am - 120ml milk
12.30pm - finish a bowl of rice or porridge or whatever i cook, its not a big bowl, maybe like 3-4 tablespoons full of food. with fish, pumpkin or frog leg.
1.30pm- 120ml milk
3.30pm - biscuits
4.30pm - 120ml milk
7.30pm - dinnner, depends on what we eat for the day, usually rice or porridge she will eat more.
straight after dinner is fruit juice.
10.30pm or depends her bed time sometimes 10 or 11pm, 180ml of milk with cereal in it.

usually last till 5-8am depends on her, then she will cry for milk..

but her solid really quite little.
Her weight seems fine leh, given that she's a girl IMO...

She seems to take well to milk hor? My boy is opposite... And I am thinking whether milk is stillas important to them now as before, that's why I worry...

Her weight seems fine leh, given that she's a girl IMO...

She seems to take well to milk hor? My boy is opposite... And I am thinking whether milk is stillas important to them now as before, that's why I worry...

ya, she still wants milk very often, i heard from doctors say milk is still very important, so try to feed more milk lor, sometimes on days she doesn't drink a lot milk, i will mix in her cereal or porridge. =X

ast0212

It's fine, continue to go according to his appetite. It usually changes at about 1 years old too. At one my son decided not to eat for a few weeks. He has days where he does not want to eat proper meals will snack on little things so I offer healthy snacks, and days he will eat a substantial amount. He's still a small eater but that's just the way he is. 17 months and 10kg but a very energetic and bright boy.

Like adults some can eat a lot, some have small appetites...

bakaholic

I try to feed my boy 3 meals a day and milk inbtw on weekends cos pediatrician told me they need 3 meals at 1 yr old.
I am a working mum so weekdays he get a fruit, brown rice fish porridge+veg and cereal+veg, with milk in-btw in the infant care centre. I couldn't give him dinner cos it will be too close to his milk feeds.

So, feeding schedule for weekend:
6+ :milk
9+ : Cereal + fruit
12+ : Lunch (millet, quinoa, rice porridge with veg & pork)
3+ :milk
6+: Porridge/pasta (millet, quinoa, rice porridge with veg & pork)
8+ : Milk
(will be giving whole eggs once he pass the allergry test)

If possible, give them other type of whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet, barley which are higher in proteins.

yes, now i cook brown rice for her for 1 meal daily, surprisely she eats it more than normal white rice, tea break healthy times barley cereal. hope she grows up healthy!

AngieTan

My son has just decided to skip 1 milk feed for the past 2 days... GREAT... Sighhhhhh...

The more worried I am, the more he "choot" pattern... =((((

Last edited:

bakaholic

Prob he decides he likes solids more? They have weird feeding patterns nowdays. Sometimes milk strike for days too. Just monitor..

ast0212

They also start drinking less milk after 1 year. As long as they get a variety of food it is ok since after a year the main nutrients will come from food.

smallsmallhand

I try to feed my boy 3 meals a day and milk inbtw on weekends cos pediatrician told me they need 3 meals at 1 yr old.
I am a working mum so weekdays he get a fruit, brown rice fish porridge+veg and cereal+veg, with milk in-btw in the infant care centre. I couldn't give him dinner cos it will be too close to his milk feeds.

So, feeding schedule for weekend:
6+ :milk
9+ : Cereal + fruit
12+ : Lunch (millet, quinoa, rice porridge with veg & pork)
3+ :milk
6+: Porridge/pasta (millet, quinoa, rice porridge with veg & pork)
8+ : Milk
(will be giving whole eggs once he pass the allergry test)

If possible, give them other type of whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, millet, barley which are higher in proteins.
Hi bakaholic mummy,

Your boy's schedule is almost exactly the same as my son's, including the variety of food ;-)

moncheri03

my boy turning 1 yr end of this month but only started to grow 2 teeth. Would like to feed him pasta / macroni but not sure if he can swollow. How do mummies cook the pasta? Is the pasta really soft after boiling as like porridge?
thanks