is my baby underweight?

pkshl

my boy is 5mths+. ystd my mum said he doesn't know how to roll yet. i said he knows how to turn & doesn't know how to roll over cos when he can't turn he'll start crying. den my mum said my boy seems to ve lost weight. she commented that his size looks small for a 5mth+ baby..

last week at PD took his weight was 6.6kg. is he underweight?
he's on brown rice & his usual milk feedings...

Ting

think u need to check his percentile..
with regards to rollin, u can encourage him like when he is stuck, then help him roll over then praise him. slowly he will learn from there.
some kids r faster, some progress slightly slower, dun worry. :)
also, size shouldnt be an issue as long as he is growing..
pin has some classmates who r only a few mths different from her but yet they r much smaller in size (be it boy or girl)...

pkshl

think you need to check his percentile..
with regards to rollin, you can encourage him like when he is stuck, then help him roll over then praise him. slowly he will learn from there.
some kids are faster, some progress slightly slower, dont worry. :)
also, size shouldnt be an issue as long as he is growing..
pin has some classmates who are only a few mths different from her but yet they are much smaller in size (be it boy or girl)...
how to check his percentile?

Phoebii Cheng

I think different bbs grow at different pace.....don't b mindful of what pple say if not you will end up being stressful

My son tht time at abt 10mths or 11mths he is only 8kg and he is in the 50 percentile....average my hubby told me tht our son is a good size cos he don't know how to walk yet, so if we hv abt 80 or 90 percentile bb then it would be too heavy for us.

Plus oso my son almost every month got cough & flu cos' he is in infant care tht time.....so he put on weight then lose it

Don't worry......

Btw, to check percentile, you can check your son's health booklet, the one that you bring for his vaccinations

diymummy

I don't think your baby is underweight. My baby was 7kg at 6 mths and now almost 1 yr still haven't hit 8kg. He's now in the 25% percentile. Yes, there's a chart in the health booklet where you can see the percentile. Or you can ask your PD to check for you during your next visit.

If you and your hubby are small size, so will your baby.

My baby could turn from front to back at 4 mths. He only learnt how to roll at abt 7 mths.

Give your baby some time. :) I think he's doing fine.

pkshl

I think different bbs grow at different pace.....dont't b mindful of what pple say if not you will end up being stressful

My son tht time at about 10mths or 11mths he is only 8kg and he is in the 50 percentile....average my hubby told me tht our son is a good size cos he dont't know how to walk yet, so if we have about 80 or 90 percentile baby then it would be too heavy for us.

Plus also my son almost every month got cough & flu cos' he is in infant care tht time.....so he put on weight then lose it

dont't worry......

Btw, to check percentile, you can check your son's health booklet, the one that you bring for his vaccinations
ya i know what u mean but sometimes i can't help but feel fedup when MIL keeps comparing my boy with her daughter's baby(1mth difference). she always say my boy so small wherelse her daughter's baby can eat alot & can do this & that.but most of the time i juz tel myself, is ok, her daughter's baby is fat & will be obese if continue eating so much..

eileenpxp

ya i know what you mean but sometimes i can't help but feel fedup when mother in law keeps comparing my boy with her daughter's baby(1mth difference). she always say my boy so small wherelse her daughter's baby can eat alot & can do this & that.but most of the time i just tel myself, is ok, her daughter's baby is fat & will be obese if continue eating so much..
reading thru...afraid the polyclinic nurse might have plotted wrongly..she mentioned my boy is @ 50 percentile...my boy is 3 months now: weight @ 6.37 kg...his birth weight was 3.63 kg...but lost quite a bit last time due to milk allergy that was detected subsequently

jxmummy

MIL always like to compare, as long as yr baby is healthy, i don't see the need why should they compare (my mil likes to compare alot with her bro's daughter, also difference by 1 month!!!) but anyway, i think yr baby is ok, each baby is different when coming to learn new things, currently my dd is close to 8 months, last check weight at 7 months is 8.5kg. she's on 3 feeds of milk and 2 feeds of porridge.

apollo

i dont think ur baby is underweight.

what is his birth weight? as long as by 4-5mths, he has doubled his weight. is okay. meaning, if his birth weight is 3kg, he shd be ard 6kilo when he is 4-5mths old.. roughly lik tt.. small babies is good! dont need to carry until ur wrist going to break..

as for rolling, ds only know how to flip to his tummy, and dont know hw to flip bk.. lik what Ting mentioned, can try to encourage them... at least ur ds is trying hard right? =)

apollo

mother in law always like to compare, as long as your baby is healthy, i dont't see the need why should they compare (my mother in law likes to compare alot with her bro's daughter, also difference by 1 month!!!) but anyway, i think your baby is ok, each baby is different when coming to learn new things, currently my dear daughter is close to 8 months, last check weight at 7 months is 8.5kg. she's on 3 feeds of milk and 2 feeds of porridge.

i agree! being healthy is much more impt than hw heavy our babies is... actu EVERY mum, mil lik to compare one... sometimes v frustrating but no choice.. at least next time we know what to do when our kids grow up, DONT COMPARE them with others. haha...

Phoebii Cheng

ya i know what you mean but sometimes i can't help but feel fedup when mother in law keeps comparing my boy with her daughter's baby(1mth difference). she always say my boy so small wherelse her daughter's baby can eat alot & can do this & that.but most of the time i just tel myself, is ok, her daughter's baby is fat & will be obese if continue eating so much..

Ya, that's why u need to be cool...when ur mother in law compares, let your mother in law knows that u r happy with the way ur son is growing now, if too chubby later too heavy to carry even for her lor......

TANZHENZHI

Don't worry about your baby, he's not underweight. Like what diymummy says the baby will follow parents genes. My son also learns to roll over when he's 7months. so be patient. Old ppl often likes to compare, let them be, for me i listen and smile and dun bother ;)

Domique

when people always compare Alaric with other bb, as Alaric is of a smaller built and not those meaty type.... i just tell them every bb is different...

sigh... cannot stand comparison!

Ting

comparison is fine, just let them think for all they want.. though its still annoying.
my mum lagi better, she compare pin n me when i was her age.. -.-"
u see, its like tt. sometimes my mum will compare pin with other kids, (but to pin's advantage) then i will tell her, dont compare other ppl kids with pin laa, what for? later ppl say u haolian.. ROFL!

Ting

when people always compare Alaric with other baby, as Alaric is of a smaller built and not those meaty type.... i just tell them every baby is different...

sigh... cannot stand comparison!
yah, i agree.
imagine if every single baby is of the same size, same weight n height... then when they grow up also same, so when they become adults also expect the same? so scary right? macham toys/robot. tell those ppl different factory what! DUH~

TS, if your MIL compare ya DS to another kid, then u compare her with someone else laa, see she like anot.. -.-"

meiteoh

Eva is in the lower than average percentile when it comes to weight (only 5.4 kg at 4 months) - she's average for her height though. But I'm not fuss as the paed did reassure me that while numerically, she may seem underweight, she looks fine - Michelin tyres everywhere and double-chin. He also did remind me that she was a small baby to begin with and babies put on 1 kg every month until their third month and then after that much more less.

So his take? If your baby looks chubby/not starving or stick thin, is active and hitting his/her milestones, to hell with the numbers.

Comparisons can be a nightmare as they'll go on and on as if you're a bad mother. If it becomes unbearable, just turn around and go "Every baby is different, just like how we are all different" and walk away.

camom

Aiya, why the obession with chubby bbs? So long as bb is healthy and active, it's fine with me. I have 1 fat & 1 thin bb but the thin bb is much much healthier than the fat one. Anyway, the fat one stopped growing horizontally after 1yo. She's now 6+ yo and still weigh less than 17kg. I think she's going to drop off the chart very soon :(

Last edited:

pkshl

yah, i agree.
imagine if every single baby is of the same size, same weight n height... then when they grow up also same, so when they become adults also expect the same? so scary right? macham toys/robot. tell those ppl different factory what! DUH~

TS, if your mother in law compare ya dear son to another kid, then you compare her with someone else laa, see she like anot.. -.-"

:tlaugh:nice one!:Dancing_tongue:

apollo

[/b]

:tlaugh:nice one!:Dancing_tongue:
HAHA! den u can say "maaaa, u know horr, my fren's mil v good lehh, not lorr sorr, wont compare her kids with others.. very good, next time i also want be such mil... " HAHA!!!

smilly00

Hello
Not a day goes by that I don't have parents tell me how worried they are about their "skinny" baby. There's usually no reason to worry. Many children who don't look like the classic Gerber baby are nevertheless gaining weight just fine.
But there are a few situations where a child may truly be too thin for his or her age. If you suspect that your son is underweight for his age then it's important to discuss it with your doctor and get her opinion and recommendations.
There's no universally accepted cutoff point between what's underweight for a baby and what's merely lean. But the pediatric growth charts I use at each "well-child check" -- routine checkups for young children -- help me decide. Certain situations raise a red flag with me, and prompt me to look for problems affecting a child's rate of weight gain. I look for the following:
  • A sudden drop of two major percentiles (for example, from the 75th to 25th percentile) in a child who has been gaining weight along a specific curve on the growth chart. (A percentile is a statistical way to compare one child's weight with that of many other children.)
  • Weight that is less than the third percentile for age. (Of course, a child who comes from a family that is very small may look way below average on the pediatric growth chart but may be a perfectly normal weight for his family.)
  • Slower than average daily weight gain for age (for example, for a 13-month-old the average monthly weight gain is about .25 kilograms, or half a pound).
  • Weight that is disproportionately low for a child's height.