Is pacifier a must?

I tried my best to hold off the pacifier until my baby was around 2 months, he didnt refuse it at all. In fact once we gave it to him he sucked it so hard like a vaccum cleaner, and as long as there is the pacifier he would be so obedient for a very long time. But then when he was around 5 or 6 months, he just suddenly refused to suck it.

himawari

We didnt give her any pacifier until she was about 3 mths old. But then she rejected the pacifier completely at 4 mths.
She prefer her thumb now.
So i dont think its necessary.

Will it be too much for baby if you take away the pacifier from her and teach her a new method to go to sleep? How adaptable are they?

SH74

my CL kept asking us to give but u insist not to. at 2+mths old, i tried giving my bb once 'cause he was crying non-stop (dunno wat he wants). but he didnt suck it a single bit. that's the only time. ppl say that breastfed babies usu dun like pacifiers. mine still can sleep quite alright, w/o pacifier. but sometimes if i carry him, he'll want to suckle to sleep.

Porukadotzu

i gave my bb pacifier after her 1 mth coz sumtimes she'd cry thou she just drink milk and changed dipers, but seems like she's not addicted to it.. she prefer cuddled and sucked breast better than pacifer. sumtimes she reject pacifier too.

Thou i'm not breastfeed my baby exclusively, coz most of the time i fed her the breastmilk through bottle. But coz she don't really like pacifier, everytime i fed her using bottled then minutes later when she want to sleep she want to nibble breast too which makes her drink quite alot and sumtimes too full so she spits few of the milk out..

it is not a must to give baby pacifier, but its one of a way to calm baby once in a while..
but then again it's up to your baby wether they like it or not.. as my baby, she's ok with it but ok without it too..

my bb only sucks his paci when he's tired or needs to be comforted. once he sleep, or he's happy & laughing laughing ... the paci will *tiiiiiieeeeewwwww* all the way to somewhere else!!

once i was @ my mom's place ... he *tiiiieeeewww* his paci until it got lost under the bed! it remained lost for 1 month until my sis accidentally found it last weekend!!!!

mummymirda

My baby uses pacifier only when in the processes of sleeping.. Once asleep,the pacifier will *toooinnkkk* out from his mouth. I dont see any harm babies/toddlers using pacifier. Both my elder daughters was on pacifier till they were almost 3yo. And both have nice set of teeth. How do u explain that..:001_302:

did u take this chance to wean him off his pacifier?

who? me?

no lah. i personally don see the harm in pacifiers altho i secretly hope his lips won't be affected lah (my mom keeps telling everyone the reason my lips look horrible is becos she gave me pacifier when i was bb .... well, firstly ... MY LIPS ARE NOT HORRIBLE!!! ... hahaha!)

anyway, we had 3 more new pacifiers still in packaging so ... just give him new one! haha!

bbs use pacifiers for comfort. if bb grow dependent on it, it's the parents' fault. i am lucky that my bb is "stubborn" in his own pattern. if he doesnt need the paci, he will spit it out even if i try to keep it in his mouth!

vonn81

i was not fancy of the idea of giving pacifier really, BUT my mum keep saying children will wean off naturally when older like us ( me n my siblings) give liao i will be able to sleep she wont cry so much, i still refuse to give. haha

Then until 1 day...i really buay da han le, cos not easy to make her sleep esp at night when she is 2-3 mths old. so give lor. Initialy she doesnt like it will spilt out and i though hoho she doesnt like ley, but after she is used to it she needs it for comfy.

I only give her during sleeping time. once she fall asleep i will remove it or she will drop it out herself. Now trying not to let her use too often if she doesnt cry i will not give just pat pat her to sleep. it works sometimes...

I don't think whether bb sleeps well or not is attributed to use of pacifier, mb it varies for different bb bah... I personally don't like the idea of using a pacifier cos worried that will have a hard time weaning him off.. then when bb developed colic, my hubby insisted so we tried, but my bb refused to take it, so we din't give it to him anymore.. he sleeps well at night, just more active in the day.