Is pneumococcal jabs compulsory?

chiro

my son took two jabs this year cos he above 1 yr old.. If below one yr old...they will need 2 jabs

apollo

yes. for babies who are borned from last yr nov onwards, pneumoccocal is compulsory. last time if babies below 6mth old took 1st jab pneu will nd to complete 4 jabs. but now it is compulsory and govt set it as 3 jab for babies who take the 1st jab below 6 mth old =)

Dizonne

hi,

think my post might be too late, but hopes it helps others who might come across this thread in future.

Fyi, pneumococcal is NOT COMPULSORY in Singapore yet. Even the jabs that are in our health booklet are NOT COMPULSORY. The only 2 jabs that are COMPULSORY BY LAW in Singapore are measles and diptheria.

What our govt is doing is encouraging us to vaccinate our kids, but these are all optional. For mummies who think that pneumococcal is not necessary, do not think that you are obliged to have the jabs taken.

From November 1, 2009, Medisave can be used to pay for pneumococcal vaccination of children.
2. The Ministry of Health (MOH) has accepted the recommendations of its Expert Committee on Immunisation to include the pneumococcal vaccination as the 10th vaccine in our National Childhood Immunisation Programme (NCIP). The current pneumococcal immunization coverage is about 20% of all newborns. With the inclusion of this vaccine in the NCIP, this will further reduce morbidity and mortality of invasive pneumococcal diseases in the long run.
Extension of Medisave
3. Parents can use their Baby Bonus cash gift and/or savings in their Child Development Accounts (CDA) to pay for all vaccinations, including pneumococcal vaccinations, at Baby Bonus approved medical institutions. The Baby Bonus and CDA can also be used to pay for siblings’ vaccination.
4. To further support this programme, parents will be able to use their Medisave for their children’s pneumococcal vaccinations. This will take effect from November 1, 2009. To protect the original purpose of Medisave which is to help pay hospitalization expenses, a withdrawal limit of $300 per Medisave account per year will be imposed. Existing Medisave use for Hepatitis B vaccinations will also be included under this annual $300 per account limit. There will be no co-payment or deductible required for the pneumococcal and Hepatitis B vaccinations.
Immunisation Schedule
5. Under the NCIP schedule, children will need three doses of the vaccine before they turn 2 (see Annex). MOH recommends catch-up vaccination for all children under 5 years of age. Baby Bonus, CDA and Medisave can also be used to pay for the catch-up immunization.
6. Immunisation can be done at GPs, polyclinics or pediatricians. Needy parents with insufficient Medisave balances can seek special financial assistance at the polyclinics.

I took this of MOH website .... So i think it should be highly recommend to take it to cover as many babies as possible .

I think the only one not "compulsory" is Rotarix . But anyway my BB took it ...

Last edited: