korean couple let baby starve to death

An internet-obsessed Korean couple allegedly allowed their infant daughter to starve to death while they cared for their virtual child, police said on Friday.

Kim Yoo-chul, 41, and his partner Choi Mi-sun, 25, fed their three-month-old baby only on visits home between 12-hour sessions at a neighbourhood internet cafe, where they were raising an avatar daughter in a Second-Life-style game called Prius online, police said.

Leaving their real daughter at their home in a suburb of Seoul to fend for herself, the pair, who were unemployed, spent hours role-playing in the virtual reality game, which allows users to choose a career and friends, granting them offspring as a reward for passing a certain level.

The pair became obsessed with nurturing their virtual daughter, called Anima, but neglected their real daughter, who was not named.

Eventually, the couple returned home after one 12-hour session in September to find the child dead and called police. The pair were arrested on Friday after an autopsy showed that the baby died from prolonged malnutrition.

"The couple seemed to have lost their will to live a normal life, because they didn't have jobs and gave birth to a premature baby," Chung Jin-won, a police officer in Suwon, the Seoul suburb, told the Yonhap news agency.

"They indulged themselves in the online game of raising a virtual character so as to escape from reality, which led to the death of their real baby."
The Kims also confessed to police that they had been feeding rotten, powdered milk and had often spanked their crying baby.

:wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry::wecry:

god bless the little soul . . .

Last edited:

apollo

i just watched this news few mins ago.

and i felt so angry n upset that there is such parents ard! such a disgrace! the poor baby! when she died, she was only 2.5 kilO! i was telling my hubby, the couple shd just go and die! or let them starve to death!

poor baby, hope she can RIP... =(

paull

*faint* i also just watched this on news..
hope the baby can RIP, tou tai in a better family..

apollo

2.5kg for a 3 month old baby....

at least "throw" baby to family or some homes laa.........

*heart wrenching*
yup, 2.5 kilo!!!!

i was shocked too when i heard 2.5kilo and even asked my hubby "huh? 2.5?"

i really rather they give up the baby for adoption or sth.. =(

Pamper

I heard of this from my mother-in-law and read it again here.. I rather they dump her at orphanage rather then this.. agree with apollo.. should let them starve to death too..

may the dear little life rip.. pray for her next life to just have a normal mind parent!

woofy55

huh.. i nvr see / read news... so sad and disgusted knowing about this. Yes, hope the baby RIP.. :(

bbee09

Oh my god... that's too cruel. If they had brought the baby out to the world, they should behave like one. If they do not want the baby, they should have give up for adoption, or make other arrangements instead. Hope that they will feel guilty, and they be convicted for such cruelty...

when i was feeding my baby these 2 days... i keep thinking about the poor little korean baby.... 12 hourly sessions?!!!!!? rotten milk!!!!!!!!!!!!?? spanking when baby cry?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've never ever wished for anyone to rot in hell before but NOW YES!!!!!!! TO THE KOREAN COUPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ting

saw this on FB ytd.. so sad lorr, the parents really KNS!!!

poor lil baby, think the parents still living in virtual world that they forget they hv a real baby lahs.

helenkong

poor baby...
the baby must be suffer for quite some time...
omg...starve to death....i hardly imagine if i not been fed in 8 hours...dying...gastric...wat also come and attack me.
Imagine this is premature baby and starving...omg...
must a painful process...i hope the baby RIP and curse the both couple live in hell

poor baby...
the baby must be suffer for quite some time...
omg...starve to death....i hardly imagine if i not been fed in 8 hours...dying...gastric...what also come and attack me.
Imagine this is premature baby and starving...omg...
must a painful process...i hope the baby RIP and curse the both couple live in hell

some more is whom the little baby should trust most!!!

must have cried so bad until hopeless then slowly pass away............

feel like crying whenever i remember this baby's suffering

TANZHENZHI

Yes, saw this news yesterday. I was shocked too. I told my MIL that the BB weight only 2.5kilo when she died. So poor thing. She really suffer alot b4 she died. Hope she rest in peace.

pkshl

my hb told me abt this news yesterday morning & i was so shocked. i asked him iszit the parents very young age, when he told me the father was 41, i was like HUH! 41 & still behaving like a kid? & even playing a game of looking after a virtual baby online! silly parents!:nah:

last time my boy @ 3mths need to be fed hourly.

poor baby! RIP :embarrassed:

Starbat11

My heart goes out to the bb. Imagine this little one crying in hunger, wet diaper and no one to attend to her. Many of us here would quickly cuddle our bb when they cry. Shower them with lots of hugs and kisses. Yet, this poor bb had none,except being abused.

Makes me sad to read of such cruelty esp to such a young and helpless infant.

Renzie

Saw the news on the papers. Its so sad for the baby.

The guy is come on...41 years old!! Don't he have a sense of responsibility or something? They treasure their online "babies" more than their real life one???? Its so maddening.

Jobless and still have money to play online games?? I rather they give the child to other family who know how to love and care for her. Hubby and I love playing games as well. But there's something call responsibility, priority and love. esh.

eissacsirhc

This is a really sad story.. Really canot believe they take the time n effort to care for a virtual baby and den let their own baby starve... the irony...

joeyz

it is heart wrenching. My heart goes out to the little baby. It is a serious problem being so addicted in online gaming. I am sure there are still some irresponsible parents out there that have not been caught yet.

mumsietay

Poor poor baby...may she be lavished with lots of hugs and kisses by the angels in heaven....Rest in peace, baby......