latch on or pump?

hi all

i have just started to breastfeed my baby n i m juz wondering whether i shd latch on most of the time or i shd do pumping at the same time? wats the difference? does pumping means easier to feed baby? sometimes my baby ll latch on but sometimes quite hard to latch on..when is the time to pump? but i know tat the more u pump the more milk u ll come in...but my baby dun feed so fast, sometimes 3hr n onli latch on for awhile only..my breasts already start to leak milk before the feeding time too, so i wonder whether i shd not pump now..hope all mummies can provide me some guidance, tks!

ast0212

Latching on is definitely the best way to feed baby as more milk is extracted when baby feeds. Pumps are not as efficient as babies and will only extract a portion of what baby actually takes.

Since breastmilk supply is based on demand, you wouldn't want to be solely pumping as this could see your supply drop. Also in the early days it is best to latch on baby on demand rather than pump. Pump only when necessary, like if you need to build up expressed breastmilk stock if you're going back to work, or if you are feeling painfully engorged and need some relief. Otherwise pumping and latching on in the early days (if you are already having ample supply) can lead to oversupply, and then more engorgement.

If baby is feeding 3 hourly and for a short time, this is fine as some babies are efficient at the breast. My nb would feed only 5-10 minutes in the early weeks too. They will change over time and baby may start feeding more or less but just make sure they are getting plenty of wet nappies since what goes in must come out!

All the best! :)

hi all

i have just started to breastfeed my baby n i m juz wondering whether i shd latch on most of the time or i shd do pumping at the same time? wats the difference? does pumping means easier to feed baby? sometimes my baby ll latch on but sometimes quite hard to latch on..when is the time to pump? but i know tat the more u pump the more milk u ll come in...but my baby dun feed so fast, sometimes 3hr n onli latch on for awhile only..my breasts already start to leak milk before the feeding time too, so i wonder whether i shd not pump now..hope all mummies can provide me some guidance, tks!
hi chocolate07,

i think it really depends on your preferences and whether you're busy at work. pumping can provide a more convenient solution if you're working.

Jojoai

LATCHING ! It's so much better & convenient. I still pump sometimes after feeds. Because I just want a additional supply in my freezer. More is better than less. But it's more troublesome lah. If you going back to work its a better idea to pump too ! I usually latch already will wait for an hour then pump. So that more supply but the next feeding I won't have little as I have 2hrs to replenish. It's good too. Because on the days your baby has growth spurt they won't be crying for more milk as you already have more milk ! All the best to you ! & happy breast feeding ! (;

Thanks all for ur replies!

Hi ast0212, ur nb latch on 5-10mins per breast per feeding?

Recently my newborn onli latch on one side of my breast per feeding time,is it normal? I onli managed to feed my baby one breast per feeding time n my baby seems to wake up after 1 or 2hrs for the nx feed..I tot per feeding muz offer both breasts n at least 20mins each breast? If baby onli feed one breast at one time, need to pump milk out for the nx breast? My baby oso hv preference for juz one breast n latch on better for one side..when I offer the other breast, my baby dun wan to latch on, anyone can advise the reason? v worried my baby is not getting enough milk..reli dunno whether I shd pump out so as to hv more milk for storage or not..but I heard tat not gd to introduce bottle so earli?

mommom

Hi chocolate07, u must try to latch baby on the not prefer breast as well. Otherwise if this carry on for too long u will end up with unbalance breasts. One side bigger... speaking from experience. :( My girl is 11 month old now, I'm still trying to reverse the damage done by latching my girl on the side she don't like more often.

If u want to introduce bottle, get Medela calma teats. It's specially for breastfeeding babies. Won't cause nipple confusion.