latch or express? dilemma!!

felicity

I'm in a big dilemma and hope experienced mummies can help.

Currently my 20-day-old bb has been milking me full time. She either sleeps or wants to latch, and she sleeps very little! Because of that my life has been a complete wreck. I wake up when she cries, first thing is latch her... Whole day i'll be latching her in bed till nipples very sore, back also very sore.. N until I miss my own breakfast, starving n thirsty, sometimes have to let her cry while I run to toilet or grab a drink. In between rush my lunch or dinner in 5 minutes and back to attend to her. Even trying to bathe her is difficult, she full time crying n struggling.. She's only not crying when latched.

I hv friends who tell me to continue because it's normal and it's a mother's sacrifice to let the bb have the best. Latching is the best n is good bonding...

Then another group of friends used to express n bottle feed... Told me how easy it is, every 3 hr u spend 15 min express, 10 min feed, the rest of the time is yours. Very easy why suffer like what I'm going through...

My parents say I dun hv enough milk that's why she always hungry n want me to supplement w fm, but when I express (when she was in hospital for jaundice) I can express up to 110ml each time.

Hubby think bb too spoilt...

Should i stop latching n just express for her? I still believe in breast milk is the best. Hope the breastfeeding mummies support group can help me... Thanks!

Memory

Felicity, u try calling breastfeeding organization for advise. If cant work, perhaps then consult tmc lactation consultant..

mangobees

Tmc lactation home service for 1.5hrs is $190plus

If you go down to their centre they charge 90plus per hour i think.

panpan

hi felicity,

i'll suggest you continue to latch on your baby instead.. U r producing enough milk! Your baby is sucking for comfort and norishment. When i had my boy he latch on almost every hr till abt 3 months!

You will have to wash the bottles and express the milk out.. isn't that more work to do?

What i think can help is a sling to help carry your baby around. Also, air dry and apply 3 layers of bm to your nipples to help it heal. It took me a while be4 my nipples are used to it.. and i had sore nipples for quite a while!

Jiayou mummy!! Breast milk is best for the baby. Just take a day at a time!

so u are still doing confinement right.. hmmm i don't know whether u believe old wife tale or not, was told bb will get slightly better and not as cranky, keep crying after full month:)

mine was abit cranky especially at night throughout, and it is true, after full month, i get better rest.

u got 10 more days to go, bear with it. meanwhile , source for lactation help if it really bothers u.

personally agree what u said. breastmilk is the best, but to latch or to express, as long as it is breastmilk , it should not be a problem.

choose a right way which is best for u and baby is the most important.

U should opt for a combination so that u could take a break yourself. Ur baby seems to be a buffet eater.They drink as and when they like. So instead 110ml at 1 feeding he may be drinking 30-50ml each latch. U r offering him both breast and latch till he auto release or u timed your latching? Suggest u don't time.
Prepare water near you coz u need to drink whenever thirsty to produce enough milk. 110ml u express is how many hrs interval every 3 hrs? If yes u have enough milk for 20days old baby.
Latching is always the best but if u r full time working mom please read up on bottle rejection. Baby will reject bottle by 2 months onward if u fully latch on.

felicity

Thank u all!!

panpan.. But my girl doesn't ask to latch every hour... She's latching every waking hours and can be latching for 4-5hrs on ends! That's why my nipples so sore n I'm so devastated... I couldn't even stop to hv a decent meal, hv to rush everything. Sigh... Thanks for the encouragement!

ilovebbdylan thanks!! Gosh... Do we all hv to go through hell during confinement? Will try to endure through the last 10 days!!

Milkbunnysingapore I let her latch and didn't time her.. She's latching for hours! So I really dunno if she's drinking a lot or little, is it I hv too little supply or she's just comfort suckling. V vexed and confused. Maybe will try to latch n pump... Thanks!! Now v difficult cos always latching, can only pump when she's sleeping but I wanna sleep too zzz...

Hi felicity
Understand what you are gg thru now.. Hang on . Don't despair . Newborns are usually like that . As weeks passes by as they grow , they will change their feeding method. Usually they want to suck for comfort .. I believe all mothers produce enough breastmilk for their child but u also need to take care of yr meals n make sure u drink lots of water to keep u hydrated n produce more milk..
Latching is the best but if u r tired, u can express yr breastmilk n keep it n if there is someone else at home, or yr hubby, can help you to bottlefeed the baby using yr expressed milk.. Cos they say, baby will get confuse if u breastfeed n bottle feed him . He will wonder y he's given the bottle if he can get it directly from you :)
U can get a little rest too.
If you still can't cope, best you seek lactation consultation.. Good luck :)

felicity

Thank princesses!

Omg I'm so sad... I just pumped for 15 min... 2 hrs after I last latched. I bottle fed bb ebm n she went to slp already. Then combined both sides only 45ml. Why? :( even the first ever time I pumped I get 60ml combined. Peak was 110ml combined... Why suddenly drop till like that, plus my nipples were aching like mad when pumping n so little only. Omg so demoralized :(

Thank princesses!

Omg I'm so sad... I just pumped for 15 min... 2 hours after I last latched. I bottle fed baby ebm n she went to sleep already. Then combined both sides only 45ml. Why? :( even the first ever time I pumped I get 60ml combined. Peak was 110ml combined... Why suddenly drop till like that, plus my nipples were aching like mad when pumping n so little only. Omg so demoralized :(
Felicity, try after latching, drink soup or warm water then pump immediately. Even if only 10ml. It's ok. 10 mins pump then rest 10 mins then pump another 10mins.
So 2 hrs later when u latch ur baby again do the same pump session after latching.

Hope you will have lots of milk if you do this for 3 consecutive days. :)

Jode

Hey Felicity
Don't have much input to provide you here.
Just wanna tell you to JIA YOU! and hang in there.
Do what best suits you and your baby, whether is latch or express. And remember, your baby will out-grow this phase and things will get better...
Gambatte!!!

juzme

Hi Felicity,
Congratulations to your newborn! Want to share my experience... I am also a new mummy that has given birth to my little gal in June... It's great to hear that you are hanging in there... Breastfeeding is tough but rewarding... best gift for baby.

Latching on is definitely a good bonding time with baby, however you need to stay in good condition to provide continuous care for your baby. First, make sure you get lots of rest and make sure you eat and drink enough water. This is important to ensure good breastmilk supply. Try and take a nap whenever your baby is sleeping. Second, after each time your baby latch on, express for another 5 mins. Does not matter if there is nothing initially. This is to simulate demand, after a few days, you will see an increase in supply. You are definitely producing enough for the baby, else baby will be cranky even during feeding.

Do you have any help during confinement to help take care/comfort the baby while baby is not latching? If have, maybe it is good to try and time your baby latch on time so that baby is not on suckling for hours. Let baby latch on ~15-20mins on each side and then let baby sleep...

felicity

Thank you everyone. Last night I took milo n fenugreek n went to pump but even lesser milk... Feel so miserable. Keep crying when I latch her :(

Then usually when bb wakes up at night will go back to slp after feeding on one breast. Last night was latching for almost 3 hrs like keep not having enough and I was so exhausted. After that put her back in cot n totally knocked out... Then 1 hr later she cried again I cannot take it and made fm for her, but I felt so bad I cried throughout the whole time feeding her, telling bb I'm so sorry mummy don't have enough milk for you :( now i just woke up crying. I was crying through the night. I'm really going mad.

Later will try calling breastfeeding helpline.

bruti732

hi, check if you have a good latch. you may be latching but not very good which had caused sore nipples. but sore nipples may also be caused by very long period the baby is
on the breast.

do you swaddle your baby? we had tried that on the 1st month and baby is less cranky and less crying.

also, make sure you get enough rest, food and water. 1st weeks i had i am too stressed with less sleep because baby wants to latch all the time and i also often check if baby wants to feed. result exhaustion, decrease in milk supply. what my husband did, he took over taking care of the baby. he asked me to sleep a good 8 hours. they used ebm while i sleep. after that i felt better. sore nipples healed faster - i used the medela purelan.

as to latch or express, you can combine. during my 1st month , i latch then i express so i can stimulate mill production. your supply of 110ml express each time is already good esp if you express every 2-3hrs.

i think the benefit of latching is the bonding you can create with your baby. this cannot be replaced and this is the only time we can make this bond.

juzme

Felicity,
sometimes baby continue to suckle on breast for comfort even if they have enough, that's why i suggest timing your baby latch on time. if you detach baby after ~15-20mins from each breast and baby not longer cry, probably have enough. then it's time for you and baby to rest. if you have some help at home (hubby, parents, in-laws, confinement lady,...) get them to help look after baby while you rest.

maybe you can start with a 2-2.5hr routine to build up your milk supply. let baby latch on 15 mins on each side... plus burping, probably around 45 mins in all. then pump for another 5 mins, then rest. start the routine again 2-2.5hr from the last start time. this way, you should see your supply increase in about 2 days time. it does happen just after a few feeds, so much perserve.

don't feel too bad that you had to feed fm. baby can feel your emotions and not good for you and your milk supply if you are overly worried and feel pressured. once your milk supply has increased, you can convert to total bf. if you had to use fm at this stage, do use syringe or spoon to feed baby so minimize chance of nipple confusion...

There's no harm to feed fm don't cry bout it. Just relax as ur emotion will affect ur baby.
Based on your description sounds like baby not properly latched on. There are tons of reasons and to identify suggest u visit a LC.
Continue to pump and increase your fluid. There are also mummies who are so successful even by pumping exclusively. Get a double pump, medela , Ameda, avent all good brand.

felicity

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate all your advices and encouragements.

Just now bb latched on one side after struggling for so long, then cried after a while... I switched side n she suckled hungrily again... After a while cry again.. Im thinking cos no more flow :( in the end gave her some fm...

Called LC.. Told that it's not normal to latch nonstop.. Probably not enough, and I agree. Told to feed little bit fm to settle her after latching for long, with cup to avoid confusion. But my parents using bottle for her.. Also dunno what cup to use :/ told to reassess over weekend n see if wanna go down for LC to review on Monday as I called quite late just now.

Will continue to pump.. I'm using medela freestyle. Really thanks a lot! I dunno what to do without all the encouragement.