Making rice porridge

Priya Diva

Hi everyone

How do you make rice porridge for your babies? Isit using sauce pan or slow cooker?

Which is a more efficient one to use esp for working mum?

When did you intro giving porridge to your baby?:wong19:

annie

slow cooker more efficient but im using normal pot cos i dun have slow cooker. cant use rice cooker cos the porridge i making for my girl is not much in qty..i started cooking rice porridge for her since 6.5mths old.

Beatricia

My mother-in-law use sauce pan to cook porridge for my son when he is around 7 mths old. She cooks the porridge in the afternoon (1 portion for lunch & 1 portion for dinner (just heat up the porridge in the evening). I think slow cooker is better for working mum as it is easier to manage.

annie

btw, anyone cooked porridge with those small dried scallops for your bb? my mum keep asking me to cook with red dates la, dried scallops la etc etc. can our bb eat? since how many mths? she say can make the porridge more sweet... n corn also.. anyone tried?

snowbear

Hi everyone

How do you make rice porridge for your babies? Isit using sauce pan or slow cooker?

Which is a more efficient one to use esp for working mum?

When did you intro giving porridge to your baby?:wong19:
i make porridge for dd using slow cooker (takes abt 2hrs). If pressed for time i'll use the saucepan. It's definitely more efficient to use the slow cooker coz u can just set it to cook and u can go do other stuff. I started giving baby porridge at about 8 months old coz i tried a few times before that and she just hated it so i stuck to giving cereal.

snowbear

My mother-in-law use sauce pan to cook porridge for my son when he is around 7 mths old. She cooks the porridge in the afternoon (1 portion for lunch & 1 portion for dinner (just heat up the porridge in the evening). I think slow cooker is better for working mum as it is easier to manage.
actually it's not good to warm up porridge. Shld cook when u need it coz keeping the porridge there and warming it up hours later will cause bb to have wind in the stomach. I warmed up porridge for my dd for a few days and realised that what old folks say abt this is true... aft i stopped doing that the wind in the tummy went away...

snowbear

btw, anyone cooked porridge with those small dried scallops for your baby? my mum keep asking me to cook with red dates , dried scallops etc etc. can our baby eat? since how many mths? she say can make the porridge more sweet... and corn also.. anyone tried?
i make porridge with veg stock instead of water to make the porridge sweeter. I use apples and corn to make the stock. Some babies are allergic to corn so you have to try once and see how first. Dried scallops introduce only at 1+year old coz it's seafood. i introduced red date to alicia at 10months. I put only 1 into her porridge (when i dont use stock). But it seems that she's not really keen on red date porridge compared to the porridge i cook with stock. You can also try adding wolfberries to her porridge. Mash when it's cooked. I started giving her wolfberries with her cod at about 9months.

Spiralng

I started to use slow cooker for my kids when they are 4mths. It's easier cos anytime the kids wan to eat u can just dish out. Normally, for babies, i just give porriage. Any ingredients i add in is to make the porriage sweet. I dun give it to my kids till they are older.

annie

snowbear u are back! hows your holiday! alicia slept well there?

hmm i always warm the porridge using microwave( i freeze n warm before giving ) cos my girl really eat too little.. i cant cook so little each time. i only cook 1/4 cup of porridge but that can keep for 5 meals! imagine... she is starting to eat more recently. today i gave her 2.5cubes n she finished them alL! lol. phew~ i realise she is a fast eater.. fast drinker also.. she always finish drinking milk (really emptying the breast) in 5mins! then her food also.. i give her n immediately its gone! i suspect she just swallow them lol. then i got to blow since its hot.. so she is always waiting for me.. sometimes she will fuss while im blowing. think im too slow. cant catch up with her lol. then she will cahse the spoon when i try to scoop the leftovers around her mouth with it. looks so hungry haha. funni...

btw, the freezing n warming of porridge so far dosent give her wind. alicia has wind pain or just wind(u tap her tummy n can hear the drum sound?). my girl since birth always have the wind in tummy sound but then that dosent bother her (no pain) n this got better since she started solid. recently i tap no wind sound..

snowbear

snowbear you are back! hows your holiday! alicia slept well there?
hiya, not so good... see my response in the other thread...

hmm i always warm the porridge using microwave( i freeze and warm before giving ) cos my girl really eat too little.. i cant cook so little each time. i only cook 1/4 cup of porridge but that can keep for 5 meals! imagine... she is starting to eat more recently. today i gave her 2.5cubes and she finished them alL! lol. phew~ i realise she is a fast eater.. fast drinker also.. she always finish drinking milk (really emptying the breast) in 5mins! then her food also.. i give her and immediately its gone! i suspect she just swallow them lol. then i got to blow since its hot.. so she is always waiting for me.. sometimes she will fuss while im blowing. think im too slow. cant catch up with her lol. then she will cahse the spoon when i try to scoop the leftovers around her mouth with it. looks so hungry haha. funni...
alicia also chases the spoon!!! haha.. funny. She also empties the breast very quickly... also under 5min drinker. I will squeeze my nipple to chk the colour of the milk to see whether she's really had the hindmilk already. haha... so far it's always hindmilk... :)

btw, the freezing and warming of porridge so far dosent give her wind. alicia has wind pain or just wind(you tap her tummy and can hear the drum sound?). my girl since birth always have the wind in tummy sound but then that dosent bother her (no pain) and this got better since she started solid. recently i tap no wind sound..
just wind. stomach sounds like a drum when tapped... Newborns usually have wind but shld clear when they're older and when they get wind it's prob due to the food intake.

annie

my girl tummy forever got wind wor... only till after start solid then better... i realise if she eat too much sweet potato also got wind but then i dun care la since she is not suffering from the wind.. been like this since young.. even though i freeze n heat her porridge using microwave, her tummy no wind cos these few days never give her sweet potato...

LoveBebe

my girl eats 2 porridge meals per day. so normally i cook 2 portions of porridges in a cooking pot first then pour all into a slow cooker to warm it throught out the day.

normally for babies, they don't have to eat sweet porridge, just normal porridge will do.
if not they may become too fussy about food.
now i add wolfberry to the porridge with veg and fish.
wolfberry is good for her eyes.

annie

but then plain porridge very bland leh.. ive never tried giving her plain ones cos i always add veg inside.. carrots, sweet potatos etc.. all sweet veg lol. gonna try those green veg next! those are not sweet. see if she likes them or not...

Priya Diva

i make porridge with veg stock instead of water to make the porridge sweeter. I use apples and corn to make the stock. Some babies are allergic to corn so you have to try once and see how first. Dried scallops introduce only at 1+year old coz it's seafood. i introduced red date to alicia at 10months. I put only 1 into her porridge (when i dont use stock). But it seems that she's not really keen on red date porridge compared to the porridge i cook with stock. You can also try adding wolfberries to her porridge. Mash when it's cooked. I started giving her wolfberries with her cod at about 9months.
Hi Snowbear

Can i know whats wolfberries? Where can you get them? When you say cod, do you mean cooked fish/ tablet? [ sorry a little blur] :red:

karinchue

wolfberries is used to strengthen the liver, the kidneys and the eyes, as well as the ability to nourish the blood.

snowbear

Hi Snowbear

Can i know whats wolfberries? Where can you get them? When you say cod, do you mean cooked fish/ tablet? [ sorry a little blur] :red:
Here's some info i got about wolfberries from Wolfberries: What Is A Wolfberry?:

(I've attached a photo of em: see below)

Wolfberry is a term used to refer to the red berries of the Lycium barbarum plant. You may also have heard the berries called goji berries. The wolfberry / goji berry is native to China, and is one of the many plants used in traditional Chinese medicine.

Health benefits of the wolfberry

Chinese herbalists and healers have used wolfberries for their nutritional benefits for centuries. Wolfberries are covered in ancient chinese medical texts, including the Ming Dynasty Compendium of Materia Medica from the 16th century and the Tang Dynasty treatise Yaoxing Lun from the 7th century.

Wolfberries contain a variety of nutrients which are beneficial to human health, including:
  • Zeaxanthin
  • Polysaccharides
  • Selenium
  • Beta-carotene
  • Calcium
  • 6 vitamins
  • Many others
You can get them at chinese medicinal halls like ZTP or Hock Hua. Not sure if supermarkets sell them. have not't chked that out. I get my supply from my mum. :)

Cod is a considered a white fish and is a good first fish to introduce to babies. It is easily available at supermarkets and wet markets. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Priya Diva

Here's some info i got about wolfberries from Wolfberries: What Is A Wolfberry?:

(I've attached a photo of em: see below)

Wolfberry is a term used to refer to the red berries of the Lycium barbarum plant. You may also have heard the berries called goji berries. The wolfberry / goji berry is native to China, and is one of the many plants used in traditional Chinese medicine.

Health benefits of the wolfberry

Chinese herbalists and healers have used wolfberries for their nutritional benefits for centuries. Wolfberries are covered in ancient chinese medical texts, including the Ming Dynasty Compendium of Materia Medica from the 16th century and the Tang Dynasty treatise Yaoxing Lun from the 7th century.

Wolfberries contain a variety of nutrients which are beneficial to human health, including:
  • Zeaxanthin
  • Polysaccharides
  • Selenium
  • Beta-carotene
  • Calcium
  • 6 vitamins
  • Many others
You can get them at chinese medicinal halls like ZTP or Hock Hua. Not sure if supermarkets sell them. have not't chked that out. I get my supply from my mum. :)

Cod is a considered a white fish and is a good first fish to introduce to babies. It is easily available at supermarkets and wet markets. :)
Hi thanks.. i will check out the chinese medicine shops for the wolfberries..:001_302: