Making rice porridge

i use the philips steamer to make porridge. its probably takes as much time as using a pan on the stove, but it comes with a timer, so no need to monitor, and i can make very small quantities with it.

Great idea to add wolfberries and dates! will try it next time. Both are dried fruits/berries, not herbs, and should be safe for babies.

Corn doesn't get soft with cooking, so for younger babies, may need to blend it before giving it to them.

My bb loves all the orange veges, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, carrots. Broccoli is also very nutritious. We usually just blend everything before serving...

annie

so far ive been giving my girl all those orange veg n she loves them as well. today gave her pumpkin n she finished them up! last time i tried she didnt want to eat.. maybe that time she was teething.. i myself dosent like pumpkin though.. a bit too strong taste for me... hee

23mummy

hi,slow cooker is more suitable for working mum,but pan is more fast n save on electricity...u can use ikan bilis to make soup den use d soup to cook porridge,damp sweet!small tips for u...aft u wash d rice,soak them in water for abt 10 o 15 min,den squeeze it,rice will break into small pcs so tat rice can be done less than half an hour!

annie

oh. i soak for 30mins or as long as i forget sometimes lol. but then i didnt squeeze it.. how to squeeze? i usually cook less than 10mins wor. maybe cos i soak very long...

snowbear

Corn doesn't get soft with cooking, so for younger babies, may need to blend it before giving it to them.
Yes, corn is not so easy to give to babies but it's a great ingredient for stock (provided your bb's not allergic to it). :) The porridge made with apple and corn stock smells very fragrant and tastes sweet.

crystal79

Yes, corn is not so easy to give to babies but it's a great ingredient for stock (provided your baby's not allergic to it). :) The porridge made with apple and corn stock smells very fragrant and tastes sweet.
Hi snowbear,

Wat and hw do u use to make veg stock and meat stock??? I only make the ikan bilis stock to cook porridge for my daughter.... pls advise ??? Thanks

annie

actually anything can be used as stock. eg if u boil sweet potato for your bb then u can reserve the water that u used to boil the potatoes as stock. then it become veg stock lor hehe. but dun use water that is used to boil carrots as stocks cos it contains high % of nitrate which is not good for bb. ikan bilis is a good choice since its so nutritious.

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

what and hw do you use to make veg stock and meat stock??? I only make the ikan bilis stock to cook porridge for my daughter.... pls advise ??? Thanks
you can use apples, corn, celery, carrots (after 8 months due to nitrates issue) for veg stock. I've experimented around and my dear daughter loves the stock i make with apples and corn. Some babies may be allergic to corn so you try 1 time and see how first. You can put as much veg and fruit as you like. Now i use 4 small apples and 2 corn cobs in a big soup pot and simmer for about 2hrs.

For chicken/pork stock, it's better if you intro the meat to baby first coz baby may find the smell and taste of the stock made with the meat too strong. After baby has accepted the meat then you can start making stock with meat. For the first time when you intro meat, puree it with water rather than the water in which you cooked the meat in. This will help baby accept it better.

crystal79

you can use apples, corn, celery, carrots (after 8 months due to nitrates issue) for veg stock. I've experimented around and my dear daughter loves the stock i make with apples and corn. Some babies may be allergic to corn so you try 1 time and see how first. You can put as much veg and fruit as you like. Now i use 4 small apples and 2 corn cobs in a big soup pot and simmer for about 2hrs.

For chicken/pork stock, it's better if you intro the meat to baby first coz baby may find the smell and taste of the stock made with the meat too strong. After baby has accepted the meat then you can start making stock with meat. For the first time when you intro meat, puree it with water rather than the water in which you cooked the meat in. This will help baby accept it better.
For apple, need to peel and cut before making veg stock?? or just throw the whole peel apple in??? btw do u still use the veg which u hv already use it to cook as stock and add it in the porridge or u throw it away and use a new batch of veg ???

Last edited:

snowbear

For apple, need to peel and cut before making veg stock?? or just throw the whole peel apple in??? btw do you still use the veg which you have already use it to cook as stock and add it in the porridge or you throw it away and use a new batch of veg ???
for apple i peel and cut into slices before throwing them into the pot to boil. Actually the skin also got some nutrients but coz scared that it may not be clean enuff even after cleaning it so i just peel it. I usually use a new batch of veg for adding in the porridge coz the veg for the stock quite tasteless after simmering for 2 hrs.

If your dd's still resisting porridge maybe u can try what i did yday. I made the porridge using short grain rice (japanese rice) and made it more pasty than usual then i make little balls out of them and pop them into dd's mouth. :001_302:you can do it with jap rice coz it's stickier than our normal long grain rice (thai rice).

crystal79

for apple i peel and cut into slices before throwing them into the pot to boil. Actually the skin also got some nutrients but coz scared that it may not be clean enuff even after cleaning it so i just peel it. I usually use a new batch of veg for adding in the porridge coz the veg for the stock quite tasteless after simmering for 2 hours.

If your dear daughter's still resisting porridge maybe you can try what i did yday. I made the porridge using short grain rice (japanese rice) and made it more pasty than usual then i make little balls out of them and pop them into dear daughter's mouth. :001_302:you can do it with jap rice coz it's stickier than our normal long grain rice (thai rice).
Oh i see, isit a must to simmer the veg stock for 2 hours?? Can i just simmer for 1 or 1 and a half hours??? Wat abt meat stock... hw long do i need to simmer?? Btw can i feed tomato to my 10mths old daughter?? Sorry to ask u so many questions... cos i not good in cooking and seldom cook oso.... heehee.

These few days when i feed my dear daughter porridge, she got eat finish... luckily or else i got to throw the porridge again... so wasted. :001_302:

Last edited:

snowbear

Oh i see, isit a must to simmer the veg stock for 2 hours?? Can i just simmer for 1 or 1 and a half hours??? what about meat stock... hw long do i need to simmer?? Btw can i feed tomato to my 10mths old daughter?? Sorry to ask you so many questions... cos i not good in cooking and seldom cook also.... heehee.

These few days when i feed my dear daughter porridge, she got eat finish... luckily or else i got to throw the porridge again... so wasted. :001_302:
i think if simmer only for 1hr, the stock not so concentrated. When i cook soup for dh and myself i simmer meat stock for quite a few hours so it's really thick. i cook stock via the reduction method (i put in a pot full of water then boil till about half the pot). But it's really your own preference. I find that when i boil longer, the soup is tastier (esp for meat stocks).

Yes, you can intro tomato to bb after 10months.

annie

so far i only use the water that is leftover from steaming or boiling the fruits/veg tat i puree for my girl as stock. i dun simmer cos they already got some taste n nutrients though not as strong la. cos the longer u cook those fruits n veg, the more nutrients lost thus i dun cook them too long...

btw, seaweed is veg or seafood?

snowbear

so far i only use the water that is leftover from steaming or boiling the fruits/veg that i puree for my girl as stock. i dont simmer cos they already got some taste and nutrients though not as strong . cos the longer you cook those fruits and veg, the more nutrients lost thus i dont cook them too long...

btw, seaweed is veg or seafood?
As long as u use the water that u cook the veg/fruits in, nutrients aren't lost coz the nutrients from the food has leached into the liquid (which is what we're trying to do for stocks anyway). :) That's why i throw away the veg/fruits aft that. Tasteless anyway.

i think seaweed is a veg... :) hee...

how was your surfing trip?

annie

hehe no la snowbear, i mean the fruits n veg's nutrients lost cos all goes into the water.. tats y i dun wanna cook too long. if cook too long those fruits n veg all no nutrients liao cannot eat liao hehe.

oh okok.. cos today breakfast she took a pc of seaweed.. hope she is ok with it. i lucky cos the hotel surf food for bb lol. they give miso soup and porridge. btw, do u give alicia soup? i never boil soup for my girl leh. dunno they need it or not?

hmm the trip was ok.. hot here. xian. summer soon. my girl very cranky today whole day cos yesterday didnt sleep enough. we sleep late then wake up early. total she only get 6hrs of night sleep n then a few catnap on the way.. she har.. see a different place then dun wan to sleep. cry n cry.. finally slept at 12am n then wake up at 6.30am...today also not enough sleep. jsut put her to bed. cry n scream like nobody's business. hai~

crystal79

i think if simmer only for 1hr, the stock not so concentrated. When i cook soup for dear husband and myself i simmer meat stock for quite a few hours so it's really thick. i cook stock via the reduction method (i put in a pot full of water then boil till about half the pot). But it's really your own preference. I find that when i boil longer, the soup is tastier (esp for meat stocks).
Yes, you can intro tomato to baby after 10months.
So if i put full pot of water, does it means tat i got to put alot of veg or meat ???

snowbear

So if i put full pot of water, does it means that i got to put alot of veg or meat ???
if i put a pot of water i usually use 4 apples and 2 corn cobs for veg stock. If meat stock, i'll use 2 chicken breast bones AND about $2-3 worth of pork ribs.

You can put as many ingredients as u want. Not a prob. :)

Last edited:

snowbear

oh okok.. cos today breakfast she took a pc of seaweed.. hope she is ok with it. i lucky cos the hotel surf food for baby lol. they give miso soup and porridge. btw, do you give alicia soup? i never boil soup for my girl . dont know they need it or not?
I boil the stock to cook her porridge rather than let her drink the soup coz she doesn't seem to like soupy stuff. I cooked soupy stuff like mee sua soup and macaroni soup for her but she doesn't like it.

hmm the trip was ok.. hot here. xian. summer soon. my girl very cranky today whole day cos yesterday didnt sleep enough. we sleep late then wake up early. total she only get 6hrs of night sleep and then a few catnap on the way.. she har.. see a different place then dont want to sleep. cry and cry.. finally slept at 12am and then wake up at 6.30am...today also not enough sleep. jsut put her to bed. cry and scream like nobody's business. hai~
Just let her catch up on her sleep now... no choice. Babies usually can't sleep well when they're at unfamiliar places and will cry and be very cranky when they dont get enuff sleep. How hot is summer at japan?

crystal79

if i put a pot of water i usually use 4 apples and 2 corn cobs for veg stock. If meat stock, i'll use 2 chicken breast bones AND about $2-3 worth of pork ribs.

You can put as many ingredients as you want. Not a prob. :)
Ic... ok. So do u use the same stock (meat or vege) everyday to cook with porridge or u got change the stock.... everytime i only use ikan bilis stock... think my dear daughter eat until sian liao... hahaha :tlaugh:

snowbear

Ic... ok. So do you use the same stock (meat or vege) everyday to cook with porridge or you got change the stock.... everytime i only use ikan bilis stock... think my dear daughter eat until sian ... hahaha :tlaugh:
i use the same stock coz i cook about a week's supply each time. But i dun feed porridge every day nowadays so i use the stock to cook her other food and she seems ok with it.