Menses & Breatfeeding

snowbear

Depends on individual. Some women only get their menses when they stop bfding. Others (like myself), get it while bfding. Mine came when bb was 3months old, then disappeared for 3 months then came back again and now has stabilised at a 33-day cycle (used to be 28-day cycle pre-preg). I have been exclusively bfding but menses still came back. The lactation consultant explained that sometimes when the bb starts sleeping thru the nite (i.e. didn't nurse for more than 4 hours), menses may come back for some women. Hence, it doesn't mean that if you bf exclusively you wun get menses.

Btw, there was a previous thread regarding bfding and the return of menses.... :)

shespice

Hi thanks :) I must have missed that thread. I breastfeed but not exclusively since I got back to work. Just got my menses and heavy too like tap and got cramps some more.

annie

ive been exclusively breastfeeding and my girl has been sleeping though the night( if it means a stretch of 4hrs as mentioned by snowbear) since maybe when she was 2.5mths or so but till now my menses still haven come. my girl is 7mths old liao

snowbear

Hi thanks :) I must have missed that thread. I breastfeed but not exclusively since I got back to work. Just got my menses and heavy too like tap and got cramps some more.
haha.. mine like tap too, last time not so heavy... sianz.

shespice

my baby does sleep through now as she is now 5 months plus. also perhaps since these days my timing interval for expressing milk at work also stretched to 8 hrs or so. will see if my menses will regulate coz my cycle has always been irregular and never know when it will come LOL. so my baby was a real surprise for me too! hahaha.

annie

my girl was a real surprise for me too as i was on contraceptive pills for 8yrs n still on the pill but then missed my menses dunno y.. went to check but was not preggy but was told to hold off the pills till my next menses come but my menses never come so i went to check n tada! i was preggy...lol

shespice

my girl was a real surprise for me too as i was on contraceptive pills for 8yrs and still on the pill but then missed my menses dont know why.. went to check but was not preggy but was told to hold off the pills till my next menses come but my menses never come so i went to check and tada! i was preggy...lol
LOL....but afterall, I think it is still a nice surprise eh? :). Hope you having fun with your little gal! Are you looking after her yourself?

snowbear

my girl was a real surprise for me too as i was on contraceptive pills for 8yrs and still on the pill but then missed my menses dont know why.. went to check but was not preggy but was told to hold off the pills till my next menses come but my menses never come so i went to check and tada! i was preggy...lol
wah! How many yrs have you been married then? Thought you just married a few years... haha... i dunno why i have that impression...

oblong

shepsice, jeff have not slept thru out the night yet. he is on semi-solids, so i may not nurse him for more than 4 hours.

i have also stretched my timing interval for expressing milk at work. my menses had came back like a tap recently. before this, there was a short light light flow. but this round one was so much longer and heavier compared to the pre-preggy days. quite sian and tiring after the menses too.

shespice

shepsice, jeff have not slept thru out the night yet. he is on semi-solids, so i may not nurse him for more than 4 hours.

i have also stretched my timing interval for expressing milk at work. my menses had came back like a tap recently. before this, there was a short light light flow. but this round one was so much longer and heavier compared to the pre-preggy days. quite sian and tiring after the menses too.
hi oblong, menses longer as in how long? more than a week? i am in my 4th day and thought it was tampering off this morning, then when at work, goodness the tap decided to flow again! yikes! so scared i stain my seat at work LOL. i haven't had a regular cycle since i was young, irregular as in some times six months also. so now that I suddenly had a surprise pregnancy last year, i will try to monitor to see if i have more regular cycle.

annie

yes im looking after her myself. snowbear, i started taking pills before i was even married lol. should say... i started taking pills when i started having regular sex...and yes i married only bout 3yrs

hmm nice surprise.. maybe.. i remember i was shock when doc say im preggy then i look emotionless and everything he says i just nod my head without much reaction lol. then he ask me...'do you plan to keep the baby??'. idiot lol. of cos i wanted to keep my baby. never ever though of abortion but was just surprise and dont know what i should do cos i didnt expect to have a baby so young..(im not young but i feel im still young for a bb lol)

Last edited:

linalee

Hihi, i'm new to the forum. Juz saw the posting here. I'm a mummy to be only in nov/dec... seems like i'm not the only person who has surprise bb with irregular menses :p

i guess when itz meant to be, it'll come!!! HEHEHE

MsPlumpy

For my DS1, I breastfed him till 6mths, menses came on the 4th mth. For my DS2 who is currently 7 mth, still on expressed milk, my menses have not come yet.

Cannot explain why, I was expressing from 5 times a day down to 3 times a day where the interval is ard 7 -8 hours ...

stonston

it depends alot on individual. in olden days their menses wont come until they stop BF cos their nutrition is not very good.

but now we are more aware of nutrition, can afford better food also, so it's different.
my menses came back when my boy was 8mths. i was latching n expressing everyday, but at irregular intervals cos of work. after it came back, it was quite regular, but the quantity of discharge is very little :)

shaynamommy

I just had my baby 2 months ago and already got my menses twice. rushed to the gynae and he explained that my hormone is all messed up but as I am still b/f partially, he did not prescribe any hormonal tablets to stabilize my menses. I was so worried that I would bleed to death and he assured me that it is only my menses and those who bleed to death are normally those who have just given birth (< 2 weeks). anyway, I chanced upon a good website that says that you are considered to be having very heavy flow if you use more than 12 regular pads during your menses. mine has tapered off, luckily.

oblong

hi oblong, menses longer as in how long? more than a week? i am in my 4th day and thought it was tampering off this morning, then when at work, goodness the tap decided to flow again! yikes! so scared i stain my seat at work LOL. i have not't had a regular cycle since i was young, irregular as in some times six months also. so now that I suddenly had a surprise pregnancy last year, i will try to monitor to see if i have more regular cycle.
it was longer than my previous cycles before i got preggy.

jojoki

hi mummies.. wen u guys say exclusive breastfeeding does that means from birth onwards zero formula? i breastfeed my bb but before milk set in first 10days i supplemented with formula after latching... thn subsequently.. whn i am away from baby.. my mum gives formula.. but in the past one month no formula at all.. (shes 3 months now) so wat does tat makes? and if i occasionaly supplement formula... wats the pro n cons over like zero formula?

missblue18

can i ask if no menses doesnt mean no ovulation right?which means if u are active again u might still concieve?

i just wanna be sure coz i plan my next one 4-5 yrs time!