Menu for 14mths old

norfen

Wondering if mummies with 14mth old have a fixed timing (i.e bfast, lunch, dinner) for their tots.
I'm wrking full time, so my maid takes care of my daughter under my MIL's supervision. She cooks rice with vege/tofu soup and feeds her with that for bfast. Lunch usually rice biscuits and fruits. not so much of a meal, but my daughter is quite fussy and peckish. And dinner would be the same rice, vege and tofu.

I'm planning to draw up a table of menu for my maid to prepare for my daughter.. any recommendations based on your own experience? thanks!

meiteoh

Eva is just 11 mths but she has a pretty fixed eating schedule - I try to bring some routine into her daily life to make things easier for everyone, including herself. She has cereal with fruit or pancakes or yogurt or muffins for breakfast followed by a lunch with rice/pasta and veg/meat. If she has meat for lunch, she'll have veg for dinner and vice versa. For dinner it's the same.

For her lunch and dinner meals, I usually make things like soup with croutons, omelette, pasta with veg/meat sauce, rice with soup and so forth. Once in a while, she'll get some cereal with veg/meat puree but otherwise we're moving slowly to "adult" food.

If possible, try to include more meat in your daughter's diet. This is because from 1 yo onwards, solid food should be providing most of the nutrients and not from milk, and toddlers need iron and protein from animal sources. Also, too much calcium can hinder iron absorption so try to have at least one serving of meat a day - fish, egg, chicken, beef, etc.

For more inspiration on foods, you can check out wholesometoddlerfood.com - they are pretty cool ideas for food there. :)

apollo

ds is nearly 13mth old. currently he is having brekkie at 9.30-10am, lunchie btwn 12.30- 1.30pm, dinner btwn 6-7pm. depends on what time he wakes up in the morning and from his nap but usually dinner will be at 6.30pm unless we are going out.

morning we dont give him rice, cos seems abit too fulling. we give him pancake, cereal (those 12mth+ cereal) or bread. but he i not very interested in bread for his brekkie so usually we will gif cereal or pancake.

lunchie - usually will be porridge/meesua/ABC pasta/animal pasta.

dinner - either rice with soup or porridge. and also meat/fish/vege/tofu etc..

i try not to give repeat menu in the same day. if he had fish porridge in the afternoon, dinner will NOT be fish porridge again. even if porridge again also will be other type of porridge like minced pork, egg, tofu, vege etc...

Last edited:

Ting

i think u shld switch the morning rice to lunch n perhaps morning a lighter meal like milk with cereal biscuits or something.
also can give her bread, bao, pancakes, waffles, cereal (banana puffs) with milk.
lunch can be noodles, pasta, rice with soup or porridge.
dinner, will be gd if it is something diff from lunch.

isabelandrew

i think you shld switch the morning rice to lunch n perhaps morning a lighter meal like milk with cereal biscuits or something.
also can give her bread, bao, pancakes, waffles, cereal (banana puffs) with milk.
lunch can be noodles, pasta, rice with soup or porridge.
dinner, will be good if it is something diff from lunch.
My little one is 16 mths but she is on solid for some time already. Yes, fixed schedule.

7am 210ml Milk
830am heiz rusk biscuit or pigeon biscuit + 100ml water
10am 210 milk
1230 pm brown/white rice porridge with minced threadfin and minced pork, flavoured with carrot or meat (cook in slow cooker)
3pm banaa cereal or biscuit + water
4pm 210ml milk
530pm apple juice
7pm brown/white rice porridge with minced threadfin and egg yolk, flavoured with carrot or meat (cook in slow cooker)

my PD ask me to add more solid... im still trying to change slowly.

apollo

My little one is 16 mths but she is on solid for some time already. Yes, fixed schedule.

7am 210ml Milk
10am 210 milk
1230 pm brown/white rice porridge with minced threadfin and minced pork, flavoured with carrot or meat (cook in slow cooker)
4pm 210ml milk
530pm apple juice
7pm brown/white rice porridge with minced threadfin and egg yolk, flavoured with carrot or meat (cook in slow cooker)

my pediatrician ask me to add more solid... im still trying to change slowly.
add more solid? but she is having 3 meals solid alrdy right? from the schedule u stated, seems lik 2 lunch and 1 dinner. y dun u shift the cereal to the morning den the 3pm gif snacks lik biscuits??

JMHO =)

Ting

yah isabelandrew, i think u shld change the 830am with the 3pm would be gd. i think no need to give more solids cos she is alr on solids 3 times per day.
maybe perhaps instead of porridge can gv rice alr.. but softer then the usual rice we eat.. somewhere not as "mushy" as porridge. :)

meiteoh

7am 210ml Milk
10am 210 milk
4pm 210ml milk
530pm apple juice

my pediatrician ask me to add more solid... im still trying to change slowly.
I think you can opt to increase the amount for breakfast and vary it like pancakes, cereal and etc. Why your paed asked you to add more solids is that if your baby takes in too much milk/calcium, it can affect the absorption of other nutrients particularly iron.

Have you tried introducing foods like rice, noodles, etc?

apollo

I think you can opt to increase the amount for breakfast and vary it like pancakes, cereal and etc. Why your paed asked you to add more solids is that if your baby takes in too much milk/calcium, it can affect the absorption of other nutrients particularly iron.

Have you tried introducing foods like rice, noodles, etc?
yup, 16mth old shd be eating all these alrdy =)

Frenchkitty

My principle is simple - as long as it is nutritionally balanced with greens, grains, fruits etc according to the food pyramid, I'm happy.

My 13mth old's menu is a choice of the following:
Breakfast: Oats with fruits (strawberries / blueberries/bananas etc), wholemeal bread with fresh milk, banana smoothie, fruits with yogurt, cereal in fresh milk, ragi porridge (high in iron & amino acid), pancakes with cheese roll-ups

Lunch: organic brown rice porridge with spinach and tofu/sweet potato/ikan bilis powder, and a serving of fruit

Dinner: organic brown rice porridge with spinach, cod fish/lean meat, and a serving of fruit, or macaroni with shredded chicken and diced carrots.

Sometimes if I'm up to it I make organic pasta with fresh tomatoes and lean meat for him.