Milk & cereal

Agnes Josephine

I would like to find out is it normal for my ds to finish his cereal & also his milk @ the same time?

Just few days ago, I started him on cereal when he reached the 6 month mark... The 1st day was I tried feeding him cereal 1st & he only have a few mouths then started to cry.. Only stop crying when I give him milk right after the cereal... Then the 2nd day, when my mil tried feeding him cereal, he cried again so she gave him milk... Then mil tried giving cereal again (after his milk), he then started to eat... 3rd day also like that, milk 1st then cereal...

Today he eat cereal 1st then his milk... I always prepare 180ml of milk & poured some to mix the cereal (only 1 tablespoon)... So he normally drink finished the balance milk (if not wasted)... He finished his big bowl of cereal & also finished the balance milk...

Cuz I understand normally babies will only eat the cereal & will cry for milk 1+ hour after the cereal feed... But my ds like very different from the rest... Is my way correct? If not, what should I do?

TIA

jedamum

i read from some books that when you first start a baby on solids, you actually give milk first, then introduce cereal/semi-solids after the milk feed just to get the baby used to the taste, the texture and also being spoonfeed.

try for some time and then slowly you can give him cereal straight away.

and also, maybe you boy is too hungry to wait to be fed cereal and prefers his milk straight away.

each kid is different. my boy hates milk (like me), so no matter how hungry, he will just drink minimal milk and wait for his cereal, or prefers me to give biscuits while he waits for his cereal.

Agnes Josephine

i read from some books that when you first start a baby on solids, you actually give milk first, then introduce cereal/semi-solids after the milk feed just to get the baby used to the taste, the texture and also being spoonfeed.

try for some time and then slowly you can give him cereal straight away.

and also, maybe you boy is too hungry to wait to be fed cereal and prefers his milk straight away.

each kid is different. my boy hates milk (like me), so no matter how hungry, he will just drink minimal milk and wait for his cereal, or prefers me to give biscuits while he waits for his cereal.

oic... I spoonfed him... but I also heard to give milk after cereal lei... so which is which? but if I give milk 1st, how much milk should I give? currently he's drinking 210ml of milk... so if I give milk 1st before cereal, how much to give? still 210ml?

jedamum

AJ, i guess there is always 2 school of thoughts. perhaps the theory of introducing the cereal after the feed is to let the baby get used to being spoonfed first without the stress of having a hungry baby being frustrated at not getting his usual (milk), while the theory of feeding milk after the cereal is to top up the baby's diet cos usually first few solids are usually small portions.

In anycase, there is no hard and fast rule. You can go according to your kid's que and trial and error, to see which best fit. Ultimately, the cereal will replace the whole feed at that particular feeding slot. As for giving milk first, i would reckon you can try giving him 75-80% of his usual feed before mixing the rest into cereal. :)

Agnes Josephine

AJ, i guess there is always 2 school of thoughts. perhaps the theory of introducing the cereal after the feed is to let the baby get used to being spoonfed first without the stress of having a hungry baby being frustrated at not getting his usual (milk), while the theory of feeding milk after the cereal is to top up the baby's diet cos usually first few solids are usually small portions.

In anycase, there is no hard and fast rule. You can go according to your kid's que and trial and error, to see which best fit. Ultimately, the cereal will replace the whole feed at that particular feeding slot. As for giving milk first, i would reckon you can try giving him 75-80% of his usual feed before mixing the rest into cereal. :)

oic.... thanks Jedamum... :)

lisa_ng

i mix cereal with milk powder as i giving heinz baby first cereal think quite plain. usually feed cereal first then milk after a while when baby gets hungry again coz if feed milk half first baby not full then start to cry. will have difficultly to let her calm down to eat cereal thereafter. after 2 week of trial & error now baby can replace one milk feed with one cereal feed.

stonston

Many schools of thought, u can weigh e pros n cons urself :)

Give milk first
Pros: baby will not be very hungry so easy to accept new foods
Cons: baby may be too full to want anything more....

Give cereal/puree first
Pros: baby will not be too full to eat
Cons: baby may be too hungry, thus no mood to try new foods, so will kick up a fuss when not given milk

Give SOME milk first, then cereal/puree, followed by more milk
Pros: baby will not be too hungry or too full to try the new food, more receptive to new food
Cons: may overfeed baby, esp for those babies tt dunno how to stop!

Carol

Aj , initially the same thing happened the first time I feed Ds solids . I gave him cereal first . But he was too hungry , crying and sucking his fingers . So I tried to feed him a little bit before his feeding time . To let him try out the taste of the cereal . Small amount will do . Like 1/2 tsp . Then slowly as he get used to it , adjust the giving cereal time closer to the actual feeding time . That's wad I did :001_302:

Agnes Josephine

Aj , initially the same thing happened the first time I feed Ds solids . I gave him cereal first . But he was too hungry , crying and sucking his fingers . So I tried to feed him a little bit before his feeding time . To let him try out the taste of the cereal . Small amount will do . Like 1/2 tsp . Then slowly as he get used to it , adjust the giving cereal time closer to the actual feeding time . That's wad I did :001_302:

thanks Carol... will try tomorrow... Cuz I always don't know should I feed him cereal during 2nd feed or 3rd feed... And now, he started teething (cuz I can see 2 white spots in his lower gum), his appetite reduced... He used to finish 210ml every feed, but these few days only either drank 100ml for his 2nd & 3rd feed or totally go w/o milk for almost 6 hours... duhz~

CynCyn

My experience is the same like Carol . He will be crying so badly for milk too hungry for cereal by then . So what I've realise after trial and error that I can only feed him cereal 2hrs or 2 and a half hrs before his next feed .

lisa_ng

My experience is the same like Carol . He will be crying so badly for milk too hungry for cereal by then . So what I've realise after trial and error that I can only feed him cereal 2hrs or 2 and a half hrs before his next feed .
i prepare the cereal & start to feed her a little earlier like 30mins b4 her feeding time if not she will also start to cry. after a few times she got used to it & she will calm down after crying upon seeing her bowl to have her cereal. :)

Agnes Josephine

Thanks Cyn, Carol & lisa_ng

I now giving ds 1 hour before his next feed & he's kinda ok with it...think I got a hang of it already... :tlaugh:

Last edited:

maine78

I now giving ds 1 hour before his next feed & he's kinda ok with it...think I got a hang of it already... :tlaugh:
I feed my ds cereal 1hr be4 feeding time coz he take such a looong time (35-60mins) to eat his cereal. Initially when i feed cereal, i feed at feeding time and after 30mins, he'll be v hungry n v mang zhang.

denteo

Hi all,

me First time mummy.. can advice . i am feeding my 7mth plus baby 150ml of FM (as he cant drink much) at a inteval of every 4 hrs,is the interval time too long for a 7 mth plus baby like him as i know some baby can drink 150ml at a interval of 3 hrs n i am afraid that i might underfeed him.

so if i feed him milk before the cereal feeding. How much ml of milk should i feed him (still 150ml or less?) and must interval for many hrs then cereal feeding (how many ml of milk to add to rice cereal?) and interval for how many hrs will be the next milk feeding(still at 150 lm or lesser?) . as i know that millk is till the main nutrition for baby till 1 yrs old.:Dancing_tongue:

pls shares and advise..

denteo

Hi all,

me First time mummy.. can advice . i am feeding my 7mth plus baby 150ml of FM (as he cant drink much) at a inteval of every 4 hrs,is the interval time too long for a 7 mth plus baby like him as i know some baby can drink 150ml at a interval of 3 hrs n i am afraid that i might underfeed him.

so if i feed him milk before the cereal feeding. How much ml of milk should i feed him (still 150ml or less?) and must interval for many hrs then cereal feeding (how many ml of milk to add to rice cereal?) and interval for how many hrs will be the next milk feeding(still at 150 lm or lesser?) . as i know that millk is till the main nutrition for baby till 1 yrs old.:Dancing_tongue:

pls shares and advise..