Mixing formula with milk cereal is it gd for babies?

tigerlily88

Hi my fren told me to mix formula for my baby with milk cereal to make my baby feel more full and less hungry that means will save abit on formula,she did that to her 3mths plus twins and they are okie.im just worried its not safe actually....my baby is only 1mth plus..

xicloudix

1mths + eat drink cereal???? For me i won't try.... how much formula they will drink, not much.... I will not save on formula...

but when my son is around 5 mths, i mix 1 scoop of rice cereal into his milk, partly to intro him to cereal and partly to make him fuller, coz his stomach can drink max 5 oz only, but 5oz he is not full enough

diymummy

Well, I wouldn't do it. It's a choking hazard. And 1 mth plus? Too young bah...

If you're feeling tired from lack of sleep, maybe you can get someone, eg, mum, mil or hubby, to stand in for you over the weekends while you can get a good stretch of 6 hrs sleep?

Since you're giving formula, you could get your hubby to do 1 feed while you sleep so at least you can get at least 5-6 hrs of unbroken sleep.

yanmummy

Yes my baby oso 1mth plus and i got the ceral for 4mth baby and add in his milk at nite so that baby will not wake up so often but not to save on his formula milk cost. That really do help and so far so good .

fioncess

i also dun really encourage u to do tt.. cos ur bb only 1mth plus... now my bb alr 16mth then i may do it cos i bringing her overseas worried the food she cant really take it so i thought i may do tt to make her fuller..other then tt i wun do it...

apollo

i dont think tt's the 'right' way to make an infant full. it's dangerous, u might choke her. and cereal is NOT suitable for an infant.

Infant at such young age tend to get hungry easily. ds used to get hungry every 2 hrs, at times every 1 hr. but we never add any cereal or thicken the milk just to make him full. like what my mum always tell us: ust tt the adults will be abit tired cos have to feed frequently but tt's just a passing phrase. dont take any shortcuts.

candy_ian

Why wld u want the baby to b fuller in the 1st place? They need the nutrients from the milk to male them grow. By making them fuller with cereal n r decreasing their milk intake. Morever 1month plus is too young for their tummies to digest the cereal.

Amulet

totally agree with june.jodi and candy_ian..

please do not do that.. those people who did that n claim that their kids are fine are just lucky coz it's medically proven that it is not fine at all..

what candy_ian said about milk intake n making baby feels fuller is wat i had always said to mothers who are contemplating in giving FM against BM to make baby stays full longer.. baby stays fuller means lower milk intake.. lower milk intake means lower nutrition intake.. why would mothers wan to do that? not for their own convenience i hope.. :)

tigerlily88

Thanks mummies for ur advice.I guess it does sound like a stupid shortcut.
Hubby is not much of a help.plus my baby has colic so its so hard..Cos he is always cranky and when he finally falls asleep after tantrums it wont be long till he wakes up again for feeds.Anyways apollo is rite ,It will be a passing phrase..

ast0212

It's something that was done in the old days like how 70 years ago they would start solids at 6 weeks. It is now not recommended after research shows that babies tummy's aren't mature enough to handle food other than milk.

Giving babies food won't necessarily make them sleep better. Some babies still wake up through the night on solids...it's just part of being a baby.

The cheapest alternative to formula is breastmilk....if not breastfeeding, then formula is best. Most babies can handle cow's milk between 6-12 months so they can go onto cow's milk without wasting money on 12month+ formula, since by then most babies get their nutrition from food and cow's milk is good too!

Renzie

I agree, your infant needs milk the most now, not cereal.

I only started adding a spoon of cereal into her milk when she's about 6++ months old, mainly because she refuses to drink just plain old milk unless she's super duper hungry. With cereal she'll at least drink more than half of it.

She's having 2 meals of solid food, and yet still wake up in the middle of the night for at least 1 feeding.

Just because other babies are alright doesn't mean you have to do the same to your's.

ling.er

As for mi i also dare not try give cereal to baby which only 1 mth old ... My son start cereal today only.. Juz nice 5 mth ** .. I also scare & worry weather he can swallow properly anot .
1mth old baby need more milk .. :wong19:

Ting

sorry to say but i feel that sometimes when relatives, parents, friends or even strangers (online) give u certain advices n suggestions, run a check online and see if it's true (there r many articles written by professionals, if not ask your doctor). dont just follow blindly.. giving cereal at 1 mth or 3 mths old is WAY TOO YOUNG.
milk is still the main source of food for babies under 1yo and cereal, porridge, or rather solids/semi solids are just supplements and for the kids to get a rough introduction of more textury food. if the baby is hungry, just feed more milk, i really dont understand why some parents resort to certain ways just for their own convenience sake.

apollo

sorry to say but i feel that sometimes when relatives, parents, friends or even strangers (online) give u certain advices n suggestions, run a check online and see if it's true (there r many articles written by professionals, if not ask your doctor). dont just follow blindly.. giving cereal at 1 mth or 3 mths old is WAY TOO YOUNG.
milk is still the main source of food for babies under 1yo and cereal, porridge, or rather solids/semi solids are just supplements and for the kids to get a rough introduction of more textury food. if the baby is hungry, just feed more milk, i really dont understand why some parents resort to certain ways just for their own convenience sake.
some parents, like the TS, at least will come forum to ASK b4 giving. but i seen some, they dont even bother to come forum to ask, go online to research. they feel tt: since tt who and who also use this method, no harm trying. i even seen mother feeding babies LESS than 2 MONTH old (or ard 1mth old only, forgot the actual age) ICE CREAM!!!!!!!

ash used to drink LOTSA milk very frequently, like I mentioned, sometimes every hourly. relatives gave stupid suggestion too and said just feed water until he is full. If they say feed abit water to rinse the mouth, sounds reasonable but if said feed water to make them full, i feel tt this is really very stupid. buahahahahahaha!!

joanneang

wow,i mth old bb drink milk with cereal?? i dun dare to do it too.. it might choke your bb,n 1mth old bb still so fragile,better to wait till 5mth ba...