MRI or CT scan

teenie

Dear all

Would like to find out for brain scan, MRI or CT scan is preferred?
The neuro in NUH recommend me to do CT scan
Is there any side effects on CT scan?

If I am a referred case fm polyclinic, I am assigned to a neuro (maybe not tht senior) does it mean I will be stuck w her thruout?

Angelmum

Dear all

Would like to find out for brain scan, MRI or CT scan is preferred?
The neuro in NUH recommend me to do CT scan
Is there any side effects on CT scan?

If I am a referred case fm polyclinic, I am assigned to a neuro (maybe not tht senior) does it mean I will be stuck w her thruout?

CT scan side effect... not to what I know
Yes, referred case from polyclinic = C class = no Neuro assigned. You'll see any Dr on duty. Could be senior, could be junior partner with a senior.

KJ mummy

From what I understand through the experience of my son's case, CT scan cannot see the inside of the brain. It only shows the outer part therefore if there is anything abnormal of the brain, an MRI can give a more accurate result.

I dont think there is any side effect of a CT scan...but for MRI becos the child may need to be sedated, a GA may have to be administered before the MRI. GA does have some risks but the percentage is below 1%. If the child needs to be under GA, a doc will explain to you all the side effects before they give.

teenie

thanks for all inputs

I have read up MRI has no radiation compare to CT scan, however more xpensive
Both procedures the child need to be sedated cos need to be v still
I have more or less decided to change my child's ct scan to MRI, though the wait for MRI is longer n its also more expenisve