My 1week old baby gal

actan1

Alpha Male
Dear all,

Need advise again...
My baby gal has been rap like a cacoon since the day she comes back and me and my wife make an effort every time to rap her up, the problem is that she always struggle and cries which she will keep pushing and her small tiny hands will be out eventually.

1) I need to ask till what age can i dun have to rap her up...
2) The other question is how warm is the milk supposed to be for feeding her...
3) When can i place her on the yo yo mattress
Thanks for your help...

Ottermum

Wrapping? you mean swaddling right?

1) you can read my thread 'when to stop swaddling bb' in this forum...some bbs can take it, some don't...is it too hot for her when she's being swaddled? my DS's was so hot but he didn't struggle...ended having lots of rashes! i swaddled him til 3.5 months...

2) dunno how to answer this question...how warm...drop few drops onto your hand you'll know whether it's right or not...in fact infants can take room temp. milk but better add LITTLE hot water to prevent wind in her stomach...

3) yoyo...Sarong cradle right? my DS sleeps in it @ 2nd month til now he's still using it during the day for naps...at night he sleeps in his cot...

relax n keep your cool it's not easy to handle a NB...think about it she's only out into this world for a week...hold n cuddle her as much as you can she needs LOVE...times flies soon it'll be manageable

hope these help:001_302:

actan1

Alpha Male
Siaojie,

Yes, I mean wrapping.. not rapping..
Do u have the link for the topic.. sorry i couldn't find

isabelandrew

swaddling a baby keeps the baby calm lor, thinking she/he still in the womb.

my baby in the 1st month only swaddle body cos her hand refuse to be wrap.
2nd month, she is so hot, we let her wear shorts and short sleeved.

it really depend on baby. my friend's baby just refuse to be wrap :p

warm milk ah? we test in the inner part of our elbow. not too hot, so long as my inner elbow feels comfortable, ok liao

Yo Yo thingy => I super kia SI. KK recommend NO. so my baby only sleep on playpen mattress...

AugBoyz

Swaddling creates the security n comfort feeling when in the womb. as the rest have mentioned, it depends on ur baby. I used cloth nappy to swaddle my son so its not too warm for him since the cloth is quite thin n "airy".

I think I replied ur 1st thread abt this B4 ur wife give birth, mix the milk with warm water n cooled water, then drip few drops on ur wrist as this is the more sensitive. If u feel pain means its too hot lah haha~

My son slept in sarong fm 4mths to abt 1yr old, then have to give up coz the mobile sarong rack couldn't withstand his weight *lol* Then again I dun place him into sarong to sleep thru the nite coz I was afraid of dependancy. Nap is ok coz its only few hours. For bed time we will move him from the sarong to the bed after he went into deep slumber.

lisa_ng

Dear all,

Need advise again...
My baby gal has been rap like a cacoon since the day she comes back and me and my wife make an effort every time to rap her up, the problem is that she always struggle and cries which she will keep pushing and her small tiny hands will be out eventually.

Thanks for your help...
My cl swaddle my girl when she was born and we did that until she's one month.
for tat swaddling make the baby feel secure like still in the mother's womb.
and for an other pantang reason, so tat she won't 多手多脚

on alternate days we will leave either one of her arms out of the swaddle cloth. by doing so she can move her curious hand around. but mittens is a must.

i remember i read somewhere ard 45 degrees warm water is good for making milk.
for me, my air pot stays at 60degrees. after pouring into milk bottle and pouring in the milk powder the temp should have drop.
so mayb juz nice for my girl.

for those sarong or hammock, we did not use it until my girl 6mos over.
i understand that the baby head and brain is still soft shouldn't rock her so much. so i dare not try until she's 6mos over.
still now my girl still nap in sarong in the afternoon.

Last edited:

actan1

Alpha Male
Dear all,

Thanks for all your reply..
I just had some argument with my MIL as she insist on wrapping.. My wife have to pacify her now... Just imagine u are being wrapped up in a warm day using bathing towels.. I am worried that my baby cannot grow and sometimes, she just dun like it and stretches till her face is so red...

Ottermum

old folks are like that they always believe in wrapping the bb...it makes them feel secured...like when they're in mummy's womb...

but some bbs can't take it...like your DD...let your MIL know (thru your wife) that DD's always struggling...it's obvious that she doesn't like it...

my mum got scolded by me so many times when DS's born...cos she introduced so many unnecessary things which my DH thought are all rubbish...n won't tell her n vented his anger n frustrations on me...so you must understand they want it to be done these ways cos they've been there n just wanna lighten your load, make your job easier...

let her know nicely that you think DD doesn't like to be wrapped up...if she's uncomfortable she can't sleep well...old folks will be worried if bb doesn't sleep well one...

lastly... just be patient about it...you'll get the hang of it soon...bbs grow up so fast :wong22:enjoy every moment ok...good luck!!:001_302::001_302:

Last edited:

actan1

Alpha Male
Siaojie,

I already let her know but she still insist... i was intending to let her take care after me and my wife starts to work.. but now i am more firm on sending her to infant care...

NOW, i can only keep my 2 eyes close until my wife's confinement is over....

nucleus

Alpha Male
For Newborn.... swaddling (wrapping) a baby when sleeping helps the baby feel secure... (it is the same reason we leave a bean-sprout pillow on the baby's chest for slightly older babies)

Imagine it gives the same sensation when you hug someone...

When baby is wide awake and alert... and the room temperature is warm... it is ok to leave him free to exercise his arms and legs and discover his own limps and ability to move.... he is learning and discovering about himself...

If you are still concerned about catching a chill, wear long sleeves and put on mittens... and put him away from direct fan or aircon blowing...

I swaddled by son for 2 months ... wrapped tightly when he sleeps at night... wrapped loosely in the day time.

-------------------------------------------

newborn's skull bones (head) is very soft... if you leave your baby sleeping face up for the whole sleep period... when he wakes up... and you feel the back of his head. you may find it is slightly flat... from resting in the same position too long... it is a good idea to change his sleep position every 2-3 hours to prevent this problem..

some old folks believe the yao-lan solves this problem because the yao-lan netting will follow the shape of the baby-head.....

Personally... I prefer not to use the yao-lan ever... especially on a newborn. But if you must at least wait until after 3 months..... I don't think the rocking is good for a newborn... (ie brain development) but that is just my personal belief.

Newborns will sleep alot naturally... they get tired easily and don't need the up-down rocking motion to help them sleep.

Plus some babies become so addicted to the yao-lan they may be unable to sleep without the rocking. Good luck to you if you decide to bring your baby for a holiday... if you have this problem.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
Ottermum said:
old folks are like that they always believe in wrapping the bb...it makes them feel secured...like when they're in mummy's womb...

but some bbs can't take it...like your DD...let your MIL know (thru your wife) that DD's always struggling...it's obvious that she doesn't like it...
actan1 said:
Siaojie,
I already let her know but she still insist...
Pardon me, since I know you would probably not like to hear what I have to say ... but I just have to put on record that your MIL is doing nothing wrong.

There are 2 issues here:
1) Wrapping the baby up provides it with a sense of security, exactly like what it was having while still in mummy's tummy. Have you ever noticed that the baby sleeps better & longer when wrapped up?
2) If the worry is about the baby feeling too warm, then the wrapping can always be done using a cloth diaper ... on top of that, just let the baby wear a singlet & a diaper. I dun do that becoz the confinement was done in an aircon room.

Again, IMHO ... dun judge with your eyes but with your baby's shoes. It's obviously uncomfortable becoz none of us, as adults, would tolerate being wrapped up ... but if you talked about the baby stretching until the face also went all red, may I ask if it was not the same when the baby was still in mummy's tummy?
Only diff being you didn't get to see it ... & therefore, did not get a chance to judge with your eyes. Think about it.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

actan1 said:
i was intending to let her take care after me and my wife starts to work.. but now i am more firm on sending her to infant care...
Have you actually started surveying the infant care facilities?
Are you sure they are going to do things as you wish & order?

From what I've seen for myself, infants only receive attention during feeding & bathing time ... other than that, they are just "left to rot" in the cot. Is that what you really want? Or you'd now rather have your little precious be taken care of 1-to-1 by a grandmother who is doing all this out of love?

Communications will always be tough, bearing in mind all the generation gap, culture gap, language gap, etc.
But whatever the case, take things easy ... if what your MIL does is neither gonna threaten the life nor impede the growth & development of your little one, then what's wrong with closing both eyes?
:wink: :wink:

Spiralng

Dear all,

Thanks for all your reply..
I just had some argument with my MIL as she insist on wrapping.. My wife have to pacify her now... Just imagine u are being wrapped up in a warm day using bathing towels.. I am worried that my baby cannot grow and sometimes, she just dun like it and stretches till her face is so red...
Ehh....baby always stretched. That's why it takes skill to wrap the baby up. For all my babies, I wrapped them up with diaper cloth. But you hv to keep wrapping, cos when they stretch or struggle, their hands will come up and you hv to rewrapped again. It's easier to handle the baby when they are wrapped cos their hands won't get in the way. Sometimes, it's not so advisable to argue with MIL especially if they are the caretaker.