My baby boy start crying at night

joelhoon

Dear Mummies,

My little 3months 4 week baby boy, start crying every night around 10pm, since last week. He was sleepy, and dozing off, but he will sudenly open his eyes and start crying. We have to try to carry him :wong19:, paficy him, pat him, we try almost everything we can think off. Then he would finally fall asleep after 1 to 2 hrs if crying...

It is kinda heart breaking to see him cry himself to sleep.

Is he teething? or any other issue?

hira

Don't worry Mummy. It happens when they are a bit restless. Sometimes pacifiying him in any way won't work. You can try cuddling him close to your arms, rock gently and sing some lullaby songs. It does work at times!

joelhoon

I did that..he would fall asleep for a min or so..then he start crying again..if i continue to cuddle him, he would start kicking and get angry....cry more fierce....
My hubby sing to him....
My mother rock him...
I mean, we try each method every day...and each time..different thing settle him....

hira

Seems like restless as he is sleeping for a min or so. Well, we just have to try out different methods then to calm him down.
Maybe you can try giving him a warm bath...dim the lights at night so he can differentiate between day and night...if your ac is on, so dress him in full...including mittens and booties...my son used to moan at night whenever his hands and feet were exposed at night with the ac on...but dress him in lighter full covered clothing as well...heavy clothing may make them feel uncomfortable as well. And try giving him gripe water as well at night to relieve any wind. These are the few things I do when my son gets cranky at night before sleep.

This tip is to encourage you not to run in at the slightest whimper because crying between sleep cycles is normal and expected. Babies might not do it every sleep cycle, but they do some. I am not saying you need to allow your baby to cry-it-out, but any amount of crying feels a lot longer than it is. My 2nd son did not have as much of a luxury to be attended to at the slightest whimper because I had my older son to take care of, too. I remember when my 2nd son was around 2 months old, I was fixing my first son lunch and #2 (his name is Nicholas, btw) woke up from his nap. I couldn’t get to him right away, but was walking to his room by the 3 or 4 minute mark and my hand was on the doorknob and he went back to sleep!! I would have disturbed his nap had I been in there any sooner. Of course, at 2 a.m. 3 or 4 minutes feels more like 30, but just keep it in mind and look at the clock.

As I said before, when my eldest son woke up from his nap, crying, it usually meant he was not done sleeping (whether he went back to sleep or not was hit or miss), so if he did wake up crying at least I knew whether to run in there or not. At the very least, I gave him 5 minutes to try to fall back to sleep…that is until I nap trained him. Having said that, I know one woman whose baby, 90% of the time, woke up crying and that’s just how he came out of his sleep cycles, so it didn’t have the same meaning for her.

joelhoon

I did gave him gripe water. He end up vomitting milk and cry more....

Gave him warm bath every night before the last feed on the day and let him rest awhile before his start moan for sleep.

One night tried rub his tummy with Jamu oil, he fall asleep right away.
Second nite, cuddle him, he sleep right away.
third nite swadle him, he sleep.
Fourth nite, un swadle him, he sleep
so on and on..different method every nite.

Got one night he cry so hard and he woke my mother, and mother just walk in the room, talk to him, pat him a little and he just sleep..Faints!!!!

We do not run in at the slightest whimper.

At first we tot he played too much in day...so we stop playing with him....

then we tot he sleep too much in the afternoon...

so on and on....

I know this is normal, but i want to find out why and what trouble him...and see what others mummy experianced and how you settle your baby when he cry like this...

engel

Could b a phase he's going through..:) my girl used to cry quite abit after 7 pm after she was abt 3 mths, thought it was colic, but it wasn't every night . Then we thought we over stimulateD her in the day, but she chose herself when and what she wants to play..... "shrugs" ...

Anyways same as u, had to use different methods to soothe her, but it eventually died down after a couple of wks.... Nvr knew why till now...

B tolerant:) the phase would b over soon.....

It was similar to my baby when he was about 2 months old.. There were a few days in a row when he would cry very loudly, until his whole face turned red and there were tears.. My mil carried him and he became quiet immediately.. The next night, we swaddled him and it works.. The following night, nothing works and he fell asleep by himself after crying for a while.. It was ok for a few days and then it happened again..

It seems to be a phase that he was going through, and it is ok now.. Once in a while when he cries very loudly / badly, we would cuddle, rock and sing to him, trying to calm him down enough for him to suck his pacifier.. And he settles down easier when he sucks his pacifier..

keiramok

oh my girl has the same issue when she's 3 months old.

headache it was omg. we tried all sorts of methods to pacify her, cuddling, singing, making faces haha. just had to trial and error each time, 'cuz somehow the same method doesn't work every time.

yep and we don't run to her at the slightest whimper. sometimes she would just cry for like a min and fell back to sleep. it's normal.

i think giving the baby a warm bath every night will help the baby feel more comfortable and more likely to have a better sleep :)

My baby does that even now she's 10mths old. Every time she's wants to nap or slp at night, she will cry, usually feeding her water or if it happens to be last feed, she will doze off, sometimes she just wants me to cuddle her, sing song, put over shoulder, pat her butt, but sometimes when she doze Off close eyes while cuddling she not happy kicks me and expects me to put her on her bed and pat her, so now I know her patterns very well already! Haha