my baby is underweight

tiziana

hi, i would like to know is there any ways to help my dd gain weight, she is currently 9 mths+ and is weighing 6.7kg, she is underweight but she is healthy, i everyday will feed her porridge once a day, currently she is drinking 180ml milk. sometimes she dun finish the milk, always leave a bit left, duno wad to do also. pls help. Thanks alot!:tlaugh:

elaine01

FM or BM?

9 mths ........maybe should give semi-solids for lunch & dinner, cereal for breakfast. snack between meals to be milk.

jeSsie_Dz

giv her more carbo food lor.. like mashed potato.. or u can add in to her porridge..
anyway she mayb just small built like u :)

rjj

hi, i would like to know is there any ways to help my dd gain weight, she is currently 9 mths+ and is weighing 6.7kg, she is underweight but she is healthy, i everyday will feed her porridge once a day, currently she is drinking 180ml milk. sometimes she dun finish the milk, always leave a bit left, duno wad to do also. pls help. Thanks alot!:tlaugh:
My boi is also 9mths, but he is 9.4kg.

He also take porridge once a day ard 11am, then cereal ard 6pm. Milk is also 180ml, also sometimes dun finish.... other time we give him little snacks...

I suppose if doc say she is ok, she should be fine, right? You do bring her for the regular assessments wif the doc, do you? Like DZ says, she maybe small built like you leh....

stonston

my boi is turning 9 mths in a few days..he weighs 9kg plus n is already considered as small built...

at 9mth, they should be getting 2-3 meals of solid food per day...
at this stage, solids r more impt than milk...

u should try giving larger portions of food (preferably high fat foods like avocado, fish, meat)...my boi is now eating 3 chinese bowls of food everyday on top of milk...

for milk, i will recd Similac Neosure (tt is if u r not bf)....it is meant for underweight babies....nutritional value is very high and is easily digested also....

Celina

my boy now is rching his 4th mth, weighing at 7+ kg.. the weigh is dat impt, so long as i feel he's healthy i tink its good.. or conslut baby doc..

stonston

my boy now is rching his 4th mth, weighing at 7+ kg.. the weigh is dat impt, so long as i feel he's healthy i tink its good.. or conslut baby doc..
weight is an indicator if bb is well-fed or not...

if ur bb was born with low birth weight, then usualli PD will tell u to give slightly more milk/food for catch up growth to occur...

for low bw babies, catch up growth is very possible within e first 2 yrs....which means they may be same weight range as their peers by age 2 even if they were half their weight at birth :)

for 6+kg, if baby was born at 1+kg, then it is possible :)

tiziana

Maybe you would like to give her porridge for both lunch and dinner. This is the diet plan of my one year old boy. He is abt 10.5kg. When he is 6 months old, he was already 8.5kg. Did not grow much during the past 6 months as he was sick few times and he is super active.

6.30am: 180ml FM
8.00am: 1 small bowl of Oatmeal Cereal
10.00am: 210ml FM
12noon: 1 big bowl of brown rice porridge + fish + meat + vege
3.00pm: 210ml FM
4.30pm: Mixed grain cereal + fruits (sometimes miss this meal, depends on how long he naps
6.00pm: 1 big bown of brown rice porridge + meat + fish + vege
10.15pm: 150ml FM
wow, u really feed alot for your baby, think im gonna follow the same way as u :001_302::001_302::001_302:

my dd is very fussy too, everyday feed her porridge she will get really fidgetive when she dun wanna eat already, force her she will scream, milk also dun wan finish despite she is alr drinking very little le.

leesm105

introduce more semi-solid food slowly to them, like bread, oats. Baby weight at 1 yr old is 3 times of birth-weight. so, continue to working on to add more fruits to her daily meal too.

maybe you can get some brown rice powder from those chinese medicine store. Its a bit expensive but it is very nuitritious and it helps to improve appetite because they mix in some herbs too. My 8 month old used to drink 160ml but after we gave him this for a week he now drinks about 200ml every 3 hours. To cook it mix it with water and stir continuously until the mixture boils. Then mix some of it into your baby's milk for alternate feedings.

If your baby doesnt like porridge maybe you can give her other things cereals, egg custard or mashed potatoes?

Last edited:

whitediamond

so upsetting... my boy is now 8mths old n he weighs only 6kg... in fact he had lost abt 1 kg within the last 2 mths... i m now looking for a good PD who is experience in this area (weight gain / digestive) any recommendation?? pls help... i m really at a loss now...