Need advice

wawa

After 2 days of raining, i think my boy has fall sick today. He has been coughing for like 30 times and sneezing like 20 times today. he only does that when he's awake and he slept the whole morning. When he started his coughing last night, i thought he had choked instead as I didnt expect him to be sick at such young age (1 and half month old).

By the time I realise he's sick, his pd had already closed for the morning and will only be available tonight. I'm very worried, should I wait till night or bring him to polyclinic now? I have no familiar GP in my area as I only moved here for a year plus only. He has been sleeping like nobody's business and that's worrying me more as he usually wakes up for hours in the morning and noon.

Other than carrying him, is there any ways to make him more comfortable and better? Due to frequent carrying, my main hand's wrist is in pain. :embarrassed:

DodoTan

If you are really very concerned, you can bring him to KK. It's 24hours. BUT, very expensive. min $80 if I'm not wrong. And be prepared to stay there for hours. If there is a concern, they actually get you to hang around so that they can monitor every so often.

uddermummy

actually the queue at kk may not be that long nowadays cos of the swine flu.

i went there about 1 week ago (emergency) on a sat and the pd saw my dd within an hour. the place was really quite empty.

CanCanMum

After 2 days of raining, i think my boy has fall sick today. He has been coughing for like 30 times and sneezing like 20 times today. he only does that when he's awake and he slept the whole morning. When he started his coughing last night, i thought he had choked instead as I didnt expect him to be sick at such young age (1 and half month old).

By the time I realise he's sick, his pediatrician had already closed for the morning and will only be available tonight. I'm very worried, should I wait till night or bring him to polyclinic now? I have no familiar GP in my area as I only moved here for a year plus only. He has been sleeping like nobody's business and that's worrying me more as he usually wakes up for hours in the morning and noon.

Other than carrying him, is there any ways to make him more comfortable and better? Due to frequent carrying, my main hand's wrist is in pain. :embarrassed:
my opinion is that you should see the pediatrician tonite, coz you will be beta at ease rather than worrying throughout the whole night~

GPs whom you dont know wil not work becoz they dont know your baby's medical history....and they cannot diagnose accurately as well as give the right medicine for your baby. And worse is babies cannot talk and tell the doctor where they feel discomfort which all will rely on the doctors diagnosis and how well they know your baby

babies will be more cranky then usual when they are sick and unwell, so carrying around is the only way to make them feel they are loved and someone by their side.

wawa

I went to both polyclinic and pd yesterday. :err:

When I reached polyclinic in less than 5mins, power failure.. The whole of polyclinic was in darkness and it took them a few mins before realising they should just go to the switch box and push it back. Then took them more than 20mins to start to manually register everyone as the pcs and the auto registration machines are down even power came back.

Saw the doctor and totally lost confident about her when she called the pharmacy right in front of me asking them what kind of medicine should she prescribed to my baby. I was like "huh?" Thought she supposed to know it instead of asking around. :elvis:

The medicine they gave require me to give 1.25ml each time which I feel is why so much? A month plus baby can eat that much of medicine? The more I think, the more I feel uneasy and end up going back to his pd in the night.

He had his phelgm sucked out again as he has blocked nose and when he cough, pd heard the cough carry lots of phglem too. Now his on medication of 0.4ml which is so much lesser than polyclinic's medicine. :001_302:

Guess this kind of money cannot save and at least I feel more at ease when doctor shows his confidence to his patients' parents.

uddermummy

I went to both polyclinic and pediatrician yesterday. :err:

When I reached polyclinic in less than 5mins, power failure.. The whole of polyclinic was in darkness and it took them a few mins before realising they should just go to the switch box and push it back. Then took them more than 20mins to start to manually register everyone as the pcs and the auto registration machines are down even power came back.

Saw the doctor and totally lost confident about her when she called the pharmacy right in front of me asking them what kind of medicine should she prescribed to my baby. I was like "huh?" Thought she supposed to know it instead of asking around. :elvis:

The medicine they gave require me to give 1.25ml each time which I feel is why so much? A month plus baby can eat that much of medicine? The more I think, the more I feel uneasy and end up going back to his pediatrician in the night.

He had his phelgm sucked out again as he has blocked nose and when he cough, pediatrician heard the cough carry lots of phglem too. Now his on medication of 0.4ml which is so much lesser than polyclinic's medicine. :001_302:

Guess this kind of money cannot save and at least I feel more at ease when doctor shows his confidence to his patients' parents.
you'll be surprised cos pharmacists know the meds better than docs. sometimes the docs themselves dont' know the side effects of the drugs.

hope your darling is feeling better!

hstan15

hi wawa

is ya baby ok now? still gt phelgm? is it something like running nose. is so, u can by the nasal spray at pharmacy and use it. heard its good.

for medicine, pls do remember don feed the baby beyong three days.

wawa

you'll be surprised cos pharmacists know the meds better than docs. sometimes the docs themselves dont' know the side effects of the drugs.

hope your darling is feeling better!
I didn't know it till 2 days ago. Think next time can ask pharmacists what type of medicine to take instead of visiting doctor then, haha..

wawa

He's better now, didn't cough as much as the first day but the nose is still blocked.

Still can hear the phelgm but cant see it. Not like running nose, can only hear the sound but cannot see anything.

hstan15, why the medicine can only eat 3 days? His pd didnt tell me anything. :embarrassed:

BbpHir3

juz an advice... nv let the cough n sneeze (block nose n phlgem) to advance/ escalate, cuz it might become as seriuos as bronchitis, n causing lil one to haf sensitive airways/ nose/ lungs... tat's wat happen to my lil gal... =(

Gerry

Hi Wawa,

My son catches a cold easily when he was very young, got his first cold when he was like 1-2 mths around your boy's age. (he's almost 3 yrs now :). Anyway, the padeatrician gave him medicine like ILIADIN 0.01% nosedrop (also avail at normal pharmacies) for blocked nose and it was very effective. But you must not use for more than 5 days in a row as it may result in over-reliance.

Slightly raise the baby's head to relieve the discomfort. Use an aspirator (available at most pharmacies- I used it quite often as my boy has frequent colds) to suck the mucus from his nose about 5-10 min after adding saline drops (available from pharmacies) to his nostrils to loosen them.

I know it can be very tiring for the mum when their young ones get a cold. Stay cool and steal pockets of rest whenever you can. Take care!