Normal for toddler to poo 5 times a day?

megtan

My son is 14 months. Recently, he has been pooing up to 5 times a day. Used to be 2-3 times but now 4-5 times. Sometimes like mash, sometimes like playdoh. Don't think it's diarrhea since not watery.

Is it normal to poo so much and so frequent?

He's taking 3 meals and 2 snacks, and around 300-400ml of fresh milk each day.

candy_ian

is he teething and putting more things into his mouth? my usually doesnt have watery stool unless he's teething and he would put his finger in to touch his gums thus giving him the very soft stools.. he's on 200 fresh milk, 3 meals, 2 snacks and BM as n when

joeybeadz

My son is 14 months. Recently, he has been pooing up to 5 times a day. Used to be 2-3 times but now 4-5 times. Sometimes like mash, sometimes like playdoh. Don't think it's diarrhea since not watery.

Pls monitor. My gal poos a lot at first too around that age, I cant remember. The ultimate was she poos during her sleep! And the smell was sourish like bad yogurt. We brought her to doc and found stomach flu/virus. Since then, we changed to soy based formula. The rest is history. :)

fionliu

Hi my girl 9 month plus oso poo 3 to 4 times a day too, I think it's normal as long the poo is nt watery and smell funny like other mummy say sourish like yogurt. But my girl poo usually after feed or during at feed, dun know it's ok bo? But think it's allrite as long she nt feeling well and happy. Btw stomach flu got any sign like baby feeling stomachache ?

shopaholic

Sounds too frequent to me. Maybe once in a while, I will take it that he's clearing his "system" if he is otherwise well and active. My 17 mth old poos an average of 2x a day. On some occasions, he has poo-ed a max of 4x but will return to his regular 1 to 2x routine the next day.

jaclyn13

Hi joeybeadz, Currently ur bb still drink soya formula? Bb do take cereal. My bb oso got diahorrea when drink his milk. Now using soya milk, dun noe can he take cereal. Tinking use other brand... How?

Last edited:

jaclyn13

My son is 14 months. Recently, he has been pooing up to 5 times a day. Used to be 2-3 times but now 4-5 times. Sometimes like mash, sometimes like playdoh. dont't think it's diarrhea since not watery.

Tink u better take a photo of the mash poo poo, let's dr see. Cos is not gd tat they poo poo more than normal times. My 1-2 times day. Recently, poo poo 4-6 times day, the milk not suitable. Wil bringing him see pd, n ask him how is it, is it the milk not suitable or jus stomache flu. He now 7 mths old

Mummy to Baby V

I weaned my boy from breastmilk to fresh milk too, did it gradually from 14 months to 18 months. Not all young toddlers can adjust to fresh milk well, may need time, so do it gradually.

Instead of only fresh milk as milk feed during day, I also offered homemade plain yoghurt. The good bacteria in yoghurt helps strengthen the digestive system.

Normal poo frequency is 3 times a day to 1 time in 3 days.
4-5 times seem a lot, so better consult paed and let him know details of child's diet.

Stomach flu (or gastroenteritis) is caused by virus that can spread easily through pee / saliva / contaminated food. I got it once years ago; son got it few months back.
It comes with weird feeling in stomach (may not ache), severe bouts of diarrhoea and / or vomiting. My son had diarrhoea more than 10 times a day for several days. Appetite completely went away for a few days too.

Last edited:

joeybeadz

Hi joeybeadz, Currently ur bb still drink soya formula? Bb do take cereal. My bb oso got diahorrea when drink his milk. Now using soya milk, dun noe can he take cereal. Tinking use other brand... How?
Yes. still drinking soya formula. I tried to change back to cow's formula and she can taste the difference and rejects it. My bb can take cereal, but never mix with milk. Just add warm plain water. I am feeding her with Healthy Times Organic.