Offended being a SAHM

EnFlor

I have 4 kids(no maid) & I still get comments from insensitive relatives like "So, when r you going back to teaching? So wasted your job & degree & your $3k-4k salary!"...."Wah you so good no need to go to work tomorrow eh!"...."Best eh, no need to work!"

Aarrrgghhhh!!! Feel like kicking their butts!!

Yeah, i got the same kindda shit too when we meet relatives (esp hubby's side) on festive seasons. And the same qs will be thrown at me. After answering their qs, some would give me 'funny' look and remark something like, "alamak, so sayang, u study so many years, end up like this."....Damn! LIKE WHAT!!!!! Just coz i choose my kids+family over career, would that make me a dumb woman ????

I don't care anymore. Not as if i depend on them to pay for my family's expenses or to provide for my family's happiness, right. All depends on my husband. If he says OK to work, i'll go. But right now, he is the one who says FOCUS on the kids first. And I am 90% happy with this arrangement, however, i can't deny that a little part of me yearn to go back to work.

cocraze

I have 4 kids(no maid) & I still get comments from insensitive relatives like "So, when r you going back to teaching? So wasted your job & degree & your $3k-4k salary!"...."Wah you so good no need to go to work tomorrow eh!"...."Best eh, no need to work!"

Aarrrgghhhh!!! Feel like kicking their butts!!
kams,
btw, one reason I decided (even long before we started family planning) that I would take care of my kids myself was because of what I saw in school. My students were problematic because they themselves faced dysfunctional families at home. Parents mostly double income, no time to talk to them or take care of their needs. Some clearly use $$$ to compensate their kids for their lack of time spent with them (this boy became a police case eventually).

So, if you also feel the same way, maybe you can retort that "no point having $3k-4k salary if my kids turn out bad cos I'm taking care of other people's kids MORE than my own", or "you like 'high' salary of teacher, why dont you go be one?", or "I save on salary by not having to pay a few hundred dollars for domestic help, or thousands of dollars for sending kid to infantcare/childcare". Or just "you envious I dont have to work huh? Then you go resign tomorrow also lor!"

cocraze

Haha cocraze! I like your replies!:Dancing_wub:
hehehe, *paiseh* these are the replies to give to people you bochup/want to be sarcastic to.... Im like that one, direct and straightforward if I want to... :)

In any case, the replies are factual, anyway. Not that I want to be 'clever' and invent my own reasons......