OMG, my maid just informed me tat she bought a handphone

sufeit0115

just want to share my maid's handphone woes here. I hired a transfer maid 2 months ago. I was a first time employer and I allowed my maid to use handphone. I told her specifically only to use at night. In the first two weeks everything was fine. Slowly i discovered she would hide in the kitchen and toilet to use and when we brought her out shopping, she would push the stroller out of our sight (when we entered the shop) and hide some place to talk. Got one time husband and i could not find her and we got so worried. I lost my temper and I scolded her she should be waiting for us outside the shop. After the incident, she has improved a bit but still sometime would MIA.

To cut the story short, later i found out she has been using her mobile to surf facebook and she could post at least 50 comments each day. Then came her 1st off day. After she had her off day, I found she lost her mind in working and she slacked a lot. I try to talk to her but she didn't improve. So i demand to take back her handphone and only allowed to let her use at night, however she refused to give her handphone up (even after i threatened to send her back to Philippines). In the end, the agent asked us to transfer her out cos she still owe us placement fee.

As I left my toddler with the maid alone during daytime, I find it difficult to monitor her handphone usage.

Last edited:

JP12

Hi sufeit.
Now I have a new Filipino transfer maid after sacking my Indo transfer maid. I allow this maid to use her Hp..at night. Only after she finishes her chores for the day. Then early morning I take the hp back. I keep her hp with me when she is not using. Perhaps u can try that. She has two HPs! But she is quite initiative in returning her hp to me every morning. So far ok...

MsKoh1973

just want to share my maid's handphone woes here. I hired a transfer maid 2 months ago. I was a first time employer and I allowed my maid to use handphone. I told her specifically only to use at night. In the first two weeks everything was fine. Slowly i discovered she would hide in the kitchen and toilet to use and when we brought her out shopping, she would push the stroller out of our sight (when we entered the shop) and hide some place to talk. Got one time husband and i could not find her and we got so worried. I lost my temper and I scolded her she should be waiting for us outside the shop. After the incident, she has improved a bit but still sometime would MIA.

To cut the story short, later i found out she has been using her mobile to surf facebook and she could post at least 50 comments each day. Then came her 1st off day. After she had her off day, I found she lost her mind in working and she slacked a lot. I try to talk to her but she didn't improve. So i demand to take back her handphone and only allowed to let her use at night, however she refused to give her handphone up (even after i threatened to send her back to Philippines). In the end, the agent asked us to transfer her out cos she still owe us placement fee.

As I left my toddler with the maid alone during daytime, I find it difficult to monitor her handphone usage.
Good thing u sent her back, imagine, if day time, onlyl she and the bb at home, she busy on the line, even if bb cry, she oso dun bother. u mentioned that even shopping she can go MIA, its possible that she so busy chatting, accident can just happen or she loss the bb.

Heng u send her back. Wise decision. Think the agent will just try to "sell" her to another employer.

sufeit0115

Hi sufeit.
Now I have a new Filipino transfer maid after sacking my Indo transfer maid. I allow this maid to use her Hp..at night. Only after she finishes her chores for the day. Then early morning I take the hp back. I keep her hp with me when she is not using. Perhaps you can try that. She has two HPs! But she is quite initiative in returning her hp to me every morning. So far ok...
I feel my biggest mistake is to let my maid use the hp when she first came. However I think it's quite difficult to demand them not to 'own' a hp nowdays. So this is what I think i plan to do with my second maid - if she don't have hp (which I doubt so) this will be my blessing. If she has, I will take hp during the day and return only at night.

sufeit0115

It was a difficult decision to transfer her as the second maid could be worse. But her attitude of 'die die' refuse to hand over her hp made me feel she won't change. She also became very slacked in her work after she returned from her 1st off day. Btw she was wearing super short hot pant, wearing heavy makeup and nail polish to meet up her friends. I even saw her pictures posted in her facebook dancing with some guys which she claimed are her friend's boyfriend. Yes the agent will transfer her to other poor employer, which I am feeling very guilty about it, otherwise my placement fee would be forfeited.

I was her second employer since she arrived sg on Jan 11. Her 1st employer transferred her out after 3 months. She claimed that it was her who insisted to transfer cos she could not manage with 2 kids. Now I finally experienced the real reason!

Last edited:

kittyyeo

I feel my biggest mistake is to let my maid use the hp when she first came. However I think it's quite difficult to demand them not to 'own' a hp nowdays. So this is what I think i plan to do with my second maid - if she don't have hp (which I doubt so) this will be my blessing. If she has, I will take hp during the day and return only at night.
what if she stays up late in the night, the next day becom every tired? dose off while looking after ur kids?

sufeit0115

what if she stays up late in the night, the next day becom every tired? dose off while looking after your kids?
Hi I am only planning to let my maid use the hp for max 1 hour per night then I will take back. Actually also need to see how the maid is, then decide whether this 'measure' is needed.

Btw, this current maid is still with me and I am waiting for my indo maid to come. I've read your post on other thread, your maid is somewhat similar to mine - low cleanliness level, poor in doing household chore, lazy. You have made a right choice to send her back, I think it's not good to tolerate her for the sake of your health in long term. I hope we will have good luck in getting a better maid next time!

Last edited:

JP12

It was a difficult decision to transfer her as the second maid could be worse. But her attitude of 'die die' refuse to hand over her hp made me feel she won't change. She also became very slacked in her work after she returned from her 1st off day. Btw she was wearing super short hot pant, wearing heavy makeup and nail polish to meet up her friends. I even saw her pictures posted in her facebook dancing with some guys which she claimed are her friend's boyfriend. Yes the agent will transfer her to other poor employer, which I am feeling very guilty about it, otherwise my placement fee would be forfeited.

I was her second employer since she arrived sg on Jan 11. Her 1st employer transferred her out after 3 months. She claimed that it was her who insisted to transfer cos she could not manage with 2 kids. Now I finally experienced the real reason!
My first transfer maid had 3 employers frm feb last yr, before coming to me in Apr. I was her 4th emplyer. Agents will always tell us they choose to leave n say got 2 or 3 children in other household cannot handle, cope. But of coz we wont knw the real reason.
For my current Filipino maid, ther was once I took her down w me to guy groceries, I saw her changed into sleeveless (looks like halter neck style) But I told her to change n said many perverts around here mus b careful. So, she changed.
For her, I let her use her hp at night till early morn. But I told her not to talk on e phone in the same room when my baby sleeping. she can talk in the living rm or kitchen.