Parent Support Group (PSG)

Any FTWM involved in your children's school's PSG? Describe the nature of your involvement and do you think your involvement is beneficial to you and your child? Is it worth the time and effort?

One should not think about benefits when doing volunteering work.....

If you have the time, and want to help, then go ahead......

Depends on what kinda help you can provide and the time permitted........

You can do from bringing kids for their cca outdoor, library, tuition etc.......

summersweetz

I am in my the PSG in my sons school, however, sometimes what they ask of me, I cannot accomodate.
So I make my availability known to them. Also at the beginning of the year they normally have a PSG meeting, to tell you about their plans ahead. That would be a good time to see where you can fit in.
As for perks, I would say that with the tight security in schools nowadays, I am able to get in and be around my kids more.

nicmum

Any full time working mum involved in your children's school's PSG? Describe the nature of your involvement and do you think your involvement is beneficial to you and your child? Is it worth the time and effort?
I'm a FTM who's involved in my dear son school. I help the school in their religious studies and i have afew PVs' who come in to teach the lower pri girls. I found it fullfilling till my dear son was targeted by her teacher. Sadly to say,each time my dear son is involved, the punishment is harsher and if dear son is not involved, the punishment given to the rest of the class seemed like a breeze. I cannot help but wonder if i have done the right thing by volunteering.

DodoTan

nicmum, sorry to hear about how you feel. Perhaps you could find out more. It is unusual for teachers to target a particular pupil unless that pupil really does get into trouble practically on a daily basis. And if that is so, the teacher would have called and spoken to the parents many, many times.

Like wanye's mama said, being a volunteer should come from your heart and you should not seek to reap benefits from it. I speak as an eco-volunteer myself. Many-a-time, my fellow volunteers sacrifice a lot of their time and effort to serve the cause of the society.

As a teacher, I must say that the PSG is very important to any school. While every school engages their PSG in a different way, there is just not enough manpower to carry out a lot of things without their help. I must say that I am very grateful for the work the PSG does in my school. Even though things don't always go smoothly, it would be a lot worse without the PSG offering their help.

stonston

As a parent, I would gladly volunteer in PSG.

Reasons:
- More opportunities to find out about school's systems
- Get to know teachers & other staff in the school better, esp school management
- Get more involved in my son's learning (I'm volunteering at his current CCC to help them improve their academic syllabus & retraining their teachers to be able to help kids transit into Pri school smoothly)
- Meet other parents (can form informal gatherings for the kids, get to know updates tt other classes know but some classes dunno)
- Get to see what is going on in school (at events & normal school days)
- Feedback is more valued & school is usually less resistant to feedback from PSG as PSG members hv experienced the school first hand, not from hearsay from the kids

& once the teachers get to know you, they'll give you alot of feedback about your kiddo. But some kids do not like it, so it always depends on your child. Some kids find it embarrassing to hv their parents in school (some kids do tease other kids about this too). I hope my boy will like me in his school when he goes to pri sch :)

stonston

I'm a FTM who's involved in my dear son school. I help the school in their religious studies and i have afew PVs' who come in to teach the lower pri girls. I found it fullfilling till my dear son was targeted by her teacher. Sadly to say,each time my dear son is involved, the punishment is harsher and if dear son is not involved, the punishment given to the rest of the class seemed like a breeze. I cannot help but wonder if i have done the right thing by volunteering.
You should speak to the level head or HOD about this matter. Or the teacher-in-charge of PSG.

The teacher should NOT be targetting your son just because you are in the PSG. You should clarify this issue. If it's really your son acting up, at least you also can help tackle the problem by speaking to your son at home. But if the situation is such that the teacher is really targetting your boy (do speak to his classmates to get a better picture too), then some action needs to be taken. You might need to speak to that particular teacher personally to avoid your boy having such encounters again.