Piano theory

Any mummies with children learning piano?

Do you help ur child when they are doing their theory homework (that is if there is?)

I am asking because myy dd has theory homework, grade 1 theory papers and she can't seems to understand them. She needs to be explained what the questions are asking about and so on. Plus her theory also not very good.

I used to teach her when she first started out cos it was very easy. But now... I simply do not know what is going on as I am not musically trained. But I got the talent of understanding it and explaining to her... and I pick up the theory as she learns.

So what shd I do? Coach her? not coach her and leave her to it? let her teacher explain?

stonston

how old is ur gal? actualli i personalli wont encourage forcing ur kid to take theory so young....onli take e lessons but not e exam...exam onli take when need to progress beyond grade 5 for practical....

e stress fm needing to take theory exams may cause ur gal to hate music for life....
my sister is a good example...

my dd is only in k2...

i don't know why she was given the theory papers ( we paid for it though). Her piano teacher is the one who decides what is to be done. Since we, parents, do not have any lessons in piano so we totally have no idea.

maybe i need to talk to the teacher for details but she doesn't seems to be able to understand what we ask sometimes...

stonston

lts, k2 onli got so much stress? my worry is ur gal still young, she may not understand the instructions in e paper...
maybe u wanna talk to e teacher again...

i remember my teacher focused on practical skills...she taught me theory as we go along, but nvr force me to take exam or do endless practice papers lor...
when she felt i was ready to take theory exam, i was p3....and she purposely let me take grade 2 although i was already learning grade 5 stuff...she say first time take paper, dun take too hard one....n i got distinction for my grade 2 theory....tell u, it was a very good experience...gave me alot of confidence to study hard for my next theory paper...

for my sis, her teacher jus force her to take exam lor...then now she super hate music bcos of e teacher's approach...
a good teacher will make e student interested n self-motivated...not force e child into learning lor...

wilcris

Firstly why do your gal need to do theory? Is she going to any pratical examinations?
Your gal is still young, theory is more difficult than pratical, i think is hard for a K2 kid to do theory without teacher explain to her clearly.

It is best for you to talk to the teacher.

apparently, her teacher says that she is quite good in piano so want to let her take the grade one exam ard next yr but she did not tell us what exam, practical or theory.

And i checked with others who have piano lessons, they told me usually they take the practical first. So I assumed it is the practical.

Think i assumed too much....

dd tried to do the theory herself but she don't remember much abt the theory taught in that short time and she ended up telling me she doesn't know how to do her homework. So we decided that we will not re-teach her but asked her to ask her teacher. But it is still the same.

stonston

lts, usualli they let them take practical first...theory usualli will skip grade n will let them take when they r older n able to read n understand e instructions on e exam paper....

actualli u should talk to e teacher...if u cant communicate with e teacher, it will be very hard for ur gal to continue lei...

wilcris

Agreed with Stonston, pratical come first. Theory, unless u need to take grade 5 and above than you need theory. Plus see which school examination taken.

pianojazzy

I am looking at the piano teacher's view.

I always encourage my students to take theory exam first b4 practical. So they know what it is going on. Also a grade 5 theory is required for grade 6-8 practical so it is good to finish theory exam first before practical. I have seen cases that students haven touch theory before except for some basic after completing grade 5 practical. They hace to spend a yr or 2 to finish theory syllabus and tae the exam. And might not even pass the first time.

However, it depends on the age of the student as well. Reason being, in grade 1 theory, it is not difficult for us but there are time values like 1/4, 1 1/2 etc. Some children still can't understand this so it is quite difficult for them. So imagine how blur will the children be.

Do make sure they understand and completed the theory book before starting theory papers and drill them with lots of theory paper till they can get 90+. Thats whay i normally do with my students. :)

so am i right to say that the piano teacher is suppose to teach the child the theory?
cos' my come home and teel me that she don't understand. With no piano background whatsoever, i have to read the questions and try to teach her.

So it become like i am the one learning the piano and not her.

I am just worried that she will continue to say she don't know and just let it be. I do not know how to make her understand that I am not able to teach her the theory part.

pianojazzy

Normally i drill a lot on theory and give them a lot of exercises. My students have no problem with it. Even if they have, they (or their parents) will msn, sms or call me.

For students at young age, i do not encourage them to take theory first as the time values is quite difficult for them to understand but i do have materials and activities to overcome it. Let me know if time values is a prob and i will let u know how to overcome it.

Sometimes, at this age, can only ask them to memorise as they don't understand it.

I do encourage parents to know and understand what they are doing but i do understand that parents are very busy and with no music background, it is not easy. Hence, i try to deal with the children myself.

Normally what parents can help is to memorise the key signatures and italian terms as i will not have time to go thru with it. I am sure your teacher think likewise. Do talk to your teacher about it and ask her how u should approach it as different ppl thinks differently ya :)

Do get back if u have more problems and i will try my best to help. Cheers

But sometimes is the children didn't want to do it or didn't focus so keep saying i don't know. I do have students like that.

happy2004

I started my boy on piano when he turn 3. I recommend age 3-4 to start piano as they can learn quite fast. And go for 1-to-1 instead of group so that you can have more attention from the teacher and your DS/DD can learn better.:tlaugh:

pianojazzy

I started my boy on piano when he turn 3. I recommend age 3-4 to start piano as they can learn quite fast. And go for 1-to-1 instead of group so that you can have more attention from the teacher and your DS/DD can learn better.:tlaugh:
That's right!!!

Hi, Few years back when my boy was 3 going 4, I did enrolled him for individual Piano lesson.

He just not attentive and the teacher is a guy and do not know how to handle small kid.

Ended up, I gotta withdraw him from the lesson.

Now, he is in P1, and eager to learn music. Am thinking should I let him go for Violin or Piano.

Also, where to get theory books?

pianojazzy

It is always good to start with piano first. As for theory books, they are easily available at music schools like yamaha, robert piano or christofori. Most music schools sell music books.

priscilla

It is always good to start with piano first. As for theory books, they are easily available at music schools like yamaha, robert piano or christofori. Most music schools sell music books.
Hi there

I just want to find out, how much do you charge for 1 to 1 piano lesson. We are deciding whether we should get a private piano teacher or for my boy to join a school 1 to 1 lesson.

yuki

i let my boys learned last yr when they turn 9 and 7. At this age, I had to say they learn faster cos they understand what the teacher is teaching as well as theory. I strictly think its unnecessary to start them on piano at toddler age unless they really enjoy it else its wasting of time n money as i think they can learn faster and more at older age. They had theory homework to do everywk in sch , else will be doing at home. So far i didn coach them on theory instead they come teach me how to play...*giggle*.( Their lesson is 1 to 1 in piano sch, fee are ard $90+ for 45mins /per mth. My elder son who start learning beginning of las yr had took his grade1 theory test las nov.)