Plain Water

Sweet Memory

Hi,

My baby is 9 weeks old and I've started to give him plain water when he was 8 weeks old. But most of time he will get choke when feeding him the plain water. The teat i used is new born teat. Anyone can advice me? Thks.

apollo

Hi,

My baby is 9 weeks old and I've started to give him plain water when he was 8 weeks old. But most of time he will get choke when feeding him the plain water. The teat i used is new born teat. Anyone can advice me? Thks.
baby below 6 mths dun nd any water. just give him milk will do. =)

Ting

as water is thinner than milk, therefore, i think it will be best if u give him bit by bit.
also hold him slightly more upright instead of lying flat down.
dont worry, after a while, they will learn to "stop" the water flow with their tongue. LOL~

hmjn

My boy is 10 weeks old and will also choke sometimes when i am feeding him water. I am alrady using no 2 teats. He always will be playing with the teats and sometimes water tends to fill his mouth so i always pull it out to prevent too much water filling his mouth. When he drink, he will also tend to drink too fast so I also tend to pull it out to prevent him to drink too fast. Also feed him more upright instead of lying too flat.
I tend to feed my baby water in between feed to prevent any constipation. I noticed if I feed him less water, he tends to constipate.

JPng

My boy is 10 weeks old and will also choke sometimes when i am feeding him water. I am alrady using no 2 teats. He always will be playing with the teats and sometimes water tends to fill his mouth so i always pull it out to prevent too much water filling his mouth. When he drink, he will also tend to drink too fast so I also tend to pull it out to prevent him to drink too fast. Also feed him more upright instead of lying too flat.
I tend to feed my baby water in between feed to prevent any constipation. I noticed if I feed him less water, he tends to constipate.
hmm... tat's what my mum realised too. however, my paediatrician say tat babies dun need water as the milk is sufficient. however, he did mention tat if wanna give, no more than 30ml per day. purpose of water is to hydrate them.
my gal is now 2mths old, but we are still using no.1 teat as we tried "slightly bigger hole" (self-enlarge using needle), the flow is too fast for her. hehe...end up the milk "leak" from her mouth.

Sweet Memory

My baby is on formula so decided to give him water to prevent constipation. For breadfed babies then no need to give water right or it also applies to formula fed babies?

I did try to feed him bit by bit but still choke. I will also try to hold him upright position when feeding him and see it works for him. How much shld i give him daily, 30ml?

Thks for the advice.

I used the milk bottle that used to feed her milk and feed her water..

but I mix the plain water with the cripe water..

candy_ian

Actually both breast fed n formula fed babies do not need additional water as in formula the water is already diluted in the milk but if u r really keen in giving water then I think 30mls throughtout the day is gd enough. Too much water will cause the baby to b full thus too full to take in milk.
As for gripe water I think personally give it only if there's a need to eg. Wind in the tummy or colicky.. I've never given my son any gripe water or rid wind so far

is it, i give my daughter gripe water everyday and i thought is a must ??

how to know she got wind in stomach ler? she vomit milk everyday esp when she keep "kek" (like wanna poo and keep "kek" till her face red red, although she didnt wan to poo). then i thinking is it got wind so she keep vomit... sometime see she keep vomit till i oso don know how d..

candy_ian

It's not a must for gripe water.. If your baby throws up immediately after feed n large amt N immediately after feed then probAbly reflux. Do u burp your baby after feed?

apollo

is it, i give my daughter gripe water everyday and i thought is a must ??

how to know she got wind in stomach ? she vomit milk everyday esp when she keep "kek" (like wanna poo and keep "kek" till her face red red, although she didnt want to poo). then i thinking is it got wind so she keep vomit... sometime see she keep vomit till i also dont know how d..
it is NOT a must to give gripe water daily. ds only had gripe water ONCE, he is now 14mths.

yes colic might cause bb wo vomit out the milk but it could be reflux. if she vomit large amount of milk daily, better bring her to a pd. ds used to vomit, as in thosse merlion kind, abt 3x per day and we brough him to pd, pd said he has reflux. took 1 week medi still no imrpovement and was admitted to hospital for some blood and urine tests.

rmb to burp ur baby aft every feeds. and u can try to cut down her milk intake abit and see if she will still vomits. let her lie on an adult pillow aft milk. to let her upper body tilt slightly higher for 30min so can prevent her to vomit. =)

hmm.. then i tried not to give her everyday.... cox got to avoid milk time when give her gripe water to avoid her drink too much in one time n vomit.

at 1st I only burp her if she took formula, I thought bf no nd to burp till my colleague told me still need to burp even bf, then I only burp for her for every meal. But she will still vomit after burp.. sometime vomit few, sometime lot.. sometime milk come out together with burp (a bit only la).. got few time come out both from nose n mouth..

ya, cut down her milk intake oredy.. cox very scare when see she vomit out from both nose n mouth. My mum in law said is normal but when I ask my colleague around no ppl experience this before. So bit angry with her cox seems not really care my girl :p

candy_ian

hmm.. then i tried not to give her everyday.... cox got to avoid milk time when give her gripe water to avoid her drink too much in one time n vomit.

at 1st I only burp her if she took formula, I thought bf no need to burp till my colleague told me still need to burp even bf, then I only burp for her for every meal. But she will still vomit after burp.. sometime vomit few, sometime lot.. sometime milk come out together with burp (a bit only ).. got few time come out both from nose n mouth..

ya, cut down her milk intake oredy.. cox very scare when see she vomit out from both nose n mouth. My mum in law said is normal but when I ask my colleague around no ppl experience this before. So bit angry with her cox seems not really care my girl :p
i do think throwing up with large amt from nose n mouth sounds like a bad reflux. dp bring her to the pd if to put your mind at ease. actually for MIL i think in their era everything is normal. my MIL knows i dont follow whatever she says so i do not consult her for advice too..
like what apollo says to burp the bb after each feed and prop her up after feeding for 20-30 mins.
if giving gripe water to your bb to make her less hungry so she wont b taking in too much milk doesnt eactly sounds right cos gripe water is fluids too its just that your bb is prob taking in less milk so less nutrients but amount of fluid would b the same..

apollo

at 1st I only burp her if she took formula, I thought bf no need to burp till my colleague told me still need to burp even bf, then I only burp for her for every meal. But she will still vomit after burp.. sometime vomit few, sometime lot.. sometime milk come out together with burp (a bit only ).. got few time come out both from nose n mouth..

i do think throwing up with large amt from nose n mouth sounds like a bad reflux. dp bring her to the pediatrician if to put your mind at ease. actually for mother in law i think in their era everything is normal. my mother in law knows i dont follow whatever she says so i do not consult her for advice too..
like what apollo says to burp the baby after each feed and prop her up after feeding for 20-30 mins.
if giving gripe water to your baby to make her less hungry so she wont b taking in too much milk doesnt eactly sounds right cos gripe water is fluids too its just that your baby is prob taking in less milk so less nutrients but amount of fluid would b the same..
i agree with Candy. i think u shd bring ur bb to a pd asap. rmb i said, ds was lik tt too? i also didnt noe reflux is so resiour until my pd's nurse called me up and asked us to get ds admitted when we told them the medi does not wk.

my mum also used to tell me vomiting milk is normal, dun have to wry so much until she saw ds admitted, doing lotsa tests, changing FM, taking medi.. cos she used to think vomiting milk is 'good' cos can vomit out the 'phelgm' -.-"""

if is just those small amount lik those eldies said "orh ni" that kind is okay, but if is VOMITING, and esp on a daily and reegular basic, is not a normal and good thing.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy was colicky and windy in the early months, but we never gave gripe water, water or colic drops. He took his first sip of water at 6.5 months old. Both breastmilk and formula milk already contains water to hydrate baby. Unless paed recommends that you do so?

4-7 months is the peak for most reflux cases. My boy has slight reflux and usually burps out a splash of milk. Carrying him upright or letting him lie at an inclined 30-degree angle helps relieve the reflux.

For more serious reflux, do seek paed's opinion.

Take care! :)

Ting

i dont encourage giving too much gripe water. i think if give long term is not good.
usually if i feel tt pin has a bloated tummy, i will add in 1 drop of infacol (or rid wind) into her milk.
as for water, i just gave pin thru out the day, maybe 100ml or so a day. PD dont advise giving water cos they wry it might affect the kid's appetite. for pin, she still take in a amt of milk so i just gv her. :)