Pls advise on expressing milk

littlerat

Yeah my baby is latching well currently. Yeah trying to keep stock to have time of my own ... That's my intention ...

Any one any advise?

vonn81

ya i wanna know why too ... but it seems baby having enough but dunno why still cannot express right? hai...perhaps u have get more cups to store..so if u only can express like 50ml and ur bb drink 100ml then give 2 lor. bobian. me doing that too.. last time i can express 120ml per side arh then too long din express now can only express 50-60ml :(

BudgetMum

hahas...i oso taste BM be4...actualli quite plain like no taste rite?
well, i have to disagree, 'mature' milk (the later milk that gives the milk a darker color) r pretty sweet -- that's y bb prefers BM to FM...

my sis also finds BM sweet & our kids prefers BM & in fact we have a hard time switching them to FM.

BudgetMum

ya i wanna know why too ... but it seems baby having enough but dunno why still cannot express right? hai...perhaps u have get more cups to store..so if u only can express like 50ml and ur bb drink 100ml then give 2 lor. bobian. me doing that too.. last time i can express 120ml per side arh then too long din express now can only express 50-60ml :(
its alright, i had mentioned this somewhere in another post... ...

our breasts react differently to individual's bb's latching & to the type of machine we used to express.....unless your breasts r super easy to adapt to change ;p

all, u need is to express more times to allow your breast to adjust to the machine or find another bpump which allows ur breasts to letdown faster etc...

good luck!

CanCanMum

well, i have to disagree, 'mature' milk (the later milk that gives the milk a darker color) r pretty sweet -- that's y bb prefers BM to FM...

my sis also finds BM sweet & our kids prefers BM & in fact we have a hard time switching them to FM.
no leh i tot FM is sweeter than BM???

dink there is a unique mummy taste in BM tat makes babies prefer BM to FM.

DodoTan

I had this problem at first when I was using the single pump. No matter how full also very little BM expressed. But when I switched to double pump, it's much better. When you pump both sides at the same time, somehow it will trigger the letdown better.

oblong

u can try taking a hot shower before you pump or put a hot compress. the other way is try pumping after every feed for abt 5 -10mins to slowly get used to the pump.

pastillies

Yes using dual can pump more milk. The other way to increase is to latch and pump at the same time.
hihi,
any share how to pump the otherside while BB is latching on?
I find the leaking milk fm the otherside when BB latches on very wasteful. But no hands to hold a pump to pump the otherside...

Also my breastpump is the ameda dual pump, how to use as a single pump?

thanks in advance for the help & advise.

littlerat

hihi,
any share how to pump the otherside while BB is latching on?
I find the leaking milk fm the otherside when BB latches on very wasteful. But no hands to hold a pump to pump the otherside...

Also my breastpump is the ameda dual pump, how to use as a single pump?

thanks in advance for the help & advise.
I presume what you have is auto pump ... what you can do is to get your husband or mother to hold the pump for you while you concentrate on feeding your baby ...

I am using a manual pump so can't advise you much on your issue.

snowbear

hi cancanmum,

nope i'm not working, but the thing is i have prob expressing now. cos too long din express le. Express until very long only 10-20ml. Unless my DD help me to suckle the other side than i can express more think cos of the let down bah. If i express when i'm not feeding her then i may not have enough to feed her later?? cos now my breast is more or less settle down le not much engorement already. then the milk is her amt each day.
(@_-)
Hi,
I've been TBF my baby since birth and she latched all the way since she was 2 months old (pumped out for her in the first month). When i first pumped again to make her semi-solid meal, it was very hard to pump out too. I called the lactation consultant and she told me to latch the baby and pump at the same time. Do this continuously for a week or so and your nipples should re-adjust to pumping again. :)

tylann72

I fully agreed. The BM is sweet. sometime if I didnt wipe the pump clean or there is residual on the table, it will attract ants!