Pneumococcal Jab..when is better?

norfen

I know there's a thread on Pneumococcal Jab, but the latest was dated a year ago, and I want some very updated inputs.
Seems that a majority of the mummies sent their kids for the jab when they are older, like 1-2 years old. reason being,

1) when they are younger, there are more no. of jabs to be taken. eg. 3 instead of 2? correct me if I'm wrong.

2) cost of per jab is quite ex, at the $180 range? so as to save cost, perhaps.
(but after the govt allows medisave to be used from Nov 09 onwards, i think this reason can be omitted)

I know of a friend who delayed the jab till her daughter turns 1 plus,
and found out from the doc that her daughter has asthma.

just want to know if anyone here has sent your child for the jab before he/she turns 1.
my daughter is 9mths plus now.. is it ok to send her now?

apollo

for pneumococcal jab, ds has his 1st jab when he was 3rd mth old, 2nd at 5th mth, 3rd at 6mth old.

we were told to bring him bk for the 4th jab when he is 1yr old =)

potato

Hm.. is there side effects to the jab? My daughter is 1 years old, can she take the jab when she turns two? She has not take the jab yet.. :)

apollo

Hm.. is there side effects to the jab? My daughter is 1 years old, can she take the jab when she turns two? She has not take the jab yet.. :)
so far ds is okay with it (keep my finger crossed).. during the 1st jab with the 5in1, he has fever for 3days, and also down with serious flu n cough.. so the 2nd n 3rd jabs, we gave him medi right aft the jabs.. but i not sure whether the fever is cause by pneu or 5in1..

potato

When my daughter had her second 6 in 1 jab, she had colic. It was so bad that i nearly had a breakdown.. I shudder to think about the past. :) She'll be having her MMR jab when she turns 15 months? As for the pneumococcal jab, i heard that if she have it after age 2, she'll need to take it only once? Is it true? :)

apollo

When my daughter had her second 6 in 1 jab, she had colic. It was so bad that i nearly had a breakdown.. I shudder to think about the past. :) She'll be having her MMR jab when she turns 15 months? As for the pneumococcal jab, i heard that if she have it after age 2, she'll need to take it only once? Is it true? :)
yup if i'm not wrong, aft 2yr old, take 1 jab for pneu only.. heard from Ting tt time.. actu i feel tt the colic is not cause by 6in1.. many babies has colic, ds too, and he got it b4 having vaccinations.. =)

norfen

Any other mummies with 9 to 10mths old infants who have yet to send for the pneu. Jab? My dd is turning 12mths in 2 mths time..dunno if i shd just send her then or now..

Gumi

Any other mummies with 9 to 10mths old infants who have yet to send for the pneu. Jab? My dear daughter is turning 12mths in 2 mths time..dont know if i should just send her then or now..
Hi
My son is coming to 11 months in a week's time and I am bringing him for this jab when he turns 1 years' old as advised by the PD and this is his first Pneumococcal jab.

JoyBliss

Hi Norfen,

My pediatrician advice: 3 jabs in total before 2 yrs old according to schedule. The older the child, the lesser #of jabs. As dear son is around 10mth then, pediatrician recommend to wait til 1 yr old then have the jab- 1x (save cost too). As this clinic does not accept medisave deduction, so I headed to polyclinic instead

Jurong polyclinic's advice: At 1yr, dear son may need 1 jab only, so need to assessed further on that day to confirm 1 jab is sufficient. And it can be taken together with MMR at 15 months. However, if possible, best to give as early as possible for protection, esp. when my dear son is in infantcare

the above are just advices given to me :)
You may wish to consult your doc for more concrete info on the timeline

Hi Mummies,

dear son's going for his 1st Pneumococcal jab next week and I'm superb duper worried on the fever, heard this jab can be quite "violent" for some... crossing my fingers and toes now... When does the fever usually start?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jmumi

Hello mummies,

Is this jab compulsory?? My HB not so keen in letting ds have this jab cos he feels tat so young why need to have so many virus in the body and dun no if got side effects?

apollo

side track abit.. but babies below 1 yr nd 3 or 4 jabs?? cos i saw some mummies saying 3jabs but my pd's nurse told us to bring ds for the 4th and 'final' pneu jab at 1yr old.. v confusing :embarrassed:

Stan

side track abit.. but babies below 1 yr need 3 or 4 jabs?? cos i saw some mummies saying 3jabs but my pediatrician's nurse told us to bring dear son for the 4th and 'final' pneu jab at 1yr old.. very confusing :embarrassed:
Is becos your son' 1st jab was at 3mths, that is why 4 jabs are needed in total.. If the 1st jab was done after baby turns 6mths, only 3 jab are needed...

florencepoh

Hi all

Just to share, my 19mth-old daughter is just recovering from pneumonia. She had high fever (>39*c) for more than 1 week, and cough spasms which has her shaking violently and barely eat anything during the worst days. Lost a lot of weight and had to be hospitalised with drip and nebuliser. It was quite scary and stressful.

So my advice is to jab earlier than later as young children is more prone to cold/flu which can infect the lungs. She only took the 1st jab (after she turned one). Regret not letting her take the jabs when she was under 1.

My 4mth-old son recently had his 1st jab together with the 6-in-1, and I was told by my paed that only 3 jabs required. Contrary to the worry that baby might not be able to take so many jabs at one go, he only has slight fever for 1 day.

BTW, I think pnemococcal jab is compulsory now for babies born after 1 Jan 10.

Flame Angel

Dear son is 7 months + now.. For pneumocol before 2 years is 3 jabs only
my son took his 1st jab along with 6 in 1 at 4 mths 2nd at 6 mths his 3rd dose will be after his completion of 1 year
During the 1st injection dear son had fever for 2 days , but 2nd injection he had fever for less than 1 day , may be his body got immune towards the jab I think so ..
Hope this helps

apollo

ehhh.. hw come ds need 4jabs?? izzit becos he took the 1st jab at 3mth old?? :embarrassed:

apollo

i dont't think so. My son took the jab at 3 months old too.. mayb you shld chk with the paed again.
babe, the 3 jab are all taken within the 1st yr right?? ds has done with the 1st 3 jabs alrdy.. mayb will check with my pd again this coming march =)