Pneumococcal Jab..when is better?

Stan

Hi all

Just to share, my 19mth-old daughter is just recovering from pneumonia. She had high fever (>39*c) for more than 1 week, and cough spasms which has her shaking violently and barely eat anything during the worst days. Lost a lot of weight and had to be hospitalised with drip and nebuliser. It was quite scary and stressful.

So my advice is to jab earlier than later as young children is more prone to cold/flu which can infect the lungs. She only took the 1st jab (after she turned one). Regret not letting her take the jabs when she was under 1.

My 4mth-old son recently had his 1st jab together with the 6-in-1, and I was told by my paed that only 3 jabs required. Contrary to the worry that baby might not be able to take so many jabs at one go, he only has slight fever for 1 day.

BTW, I think pnemococcal jab is compulsory now for babies born after 1 Jan 10.
Wonder if the jabs are now complusory, are there any guidelines when is the best time to start? Now we see all the mummies are starting the jabs at different times and difference in advice by diff PD on the total no of jabs! Maybe shld call up MOH and ask?:001_302:

stonston

1. There are a few different brands in the market. With different brands/manufacturer, the usage would be different too. So it's best to follow the advise of the PD you intend to bring your child to.

2. Whether to give early or later has been in debate for very long. If your child is at high risk (in infantcare or CCC), then you should let your child be vaccinated early. If your child is only going to CCC at 18 months, then you can wait till after 1yo then vaccinate your child. Mine is already 3yo and I've not vaccinated him cos he's considered low risk according to PD. His CCC was a small place with very little children. His current kindergarten is even smaller, with only around 10 kids in each class and they do not mix the K1 & K2 with the N1 & N2. So his risk is very small. Wanted to let him take when they announced that can use Medisave but never got around to calling up the Polyclinic to fix an appt.

3. Side effects - there were severe side effects reported in US but there's no official news or website we can refer to for the side effects in Singapore. It's up to parents to decide if you are more worried about side effects. Based on what I read, it seems that side effects boils down to the ingredients used in the vaccination. Different manufacturers have different ingredients so this might be one of the possible causes.

hakisumi

apollo mummy..
i just brought graham for the pnemo jab..
yes its a 3+1 ..i also dunno y.. lol.. i forgot to ask..

i jus saw a chart like how many mths to mths is 3+1
den how many to how many mths is 3...

i think less than 6/7 mths is 3+1 jabs

i went to a GP for the injections.. can use cda.. his advise to me is like y not take it earlier... hmmm.. to give now or later is v individual de pah..

mandymtb

i am confused as well...

i tot my gal suppose to take 4 jabs, cos she took it first when she was 3mth as well... then the 2nd @ 5mth, was expecting the 3rd on her 6mth, then suddenly the clinic called and say no need, say the 3rd jab wait till she turns one YO, cos MOH changed the rule for pneumococcal jab again, from 4 back to 3 jabs...

am totally confused now, any mummies in the same situation?

apollo

apollo mummy..
i just brought graham for the pnemo jab..
yes its a 3+1 ..i also dont know y.. lol.. i forgot to ask..

i just saw a chart like how many mths to mths is 3+1
then how many to how many mths is 3...

i think less than 6/7 mths is 3+1 jabs

i went to a GP for the injections.. can use cda.. his advise to me is like y not take it earlier... hmmm.. to give now or later is very individual pah..
babe, so Graham also have to take total of 4 jabs??

Ivy Miao

Hi, can any mummies summaries the jabs that bbs have to take? My son just turn 1mth. He's due for his 6-in-1 jab in a week. Can we bring him out even after his 1st 6-in-1 jab?

apollo

Hi, can any mummies summaries the jabs that bbs have to take? My son just turn 1mth. He's due for his 6-in-1 jab in a week. Can we bring him out even after his 1st 6-in-1 jab?
usually i dun bring ds out aft his injection. cos i'm afriad he will have fever, so i will go home aft the injection and let him rest at hm.. cos he had fever n bad flu/cough when he had his 1st 5in1 when he was 3mths old..

Stan

depends on what u want actually.. i did 5 in 1 for DD, completed the Rotavirus and planned to start pneumococal after she turn 6mths...

Better not bring him out after his injections... cos like what apollo mummy said, maybe hv fever...in fact, i monitor my dd's temperature very closely for 2 days after her jabs...on my paed's advice..

hakisumi

Yea..I somehow agree too,I remember bringing him out after the 1st injection at 3rd mth,got slight fever at night.. But recently after the pnec injection + rotavirus at 4th mth..no fever..

Maybe after injection will be slightly weak so better avoid "wind"

Ivy Miao

usually i dont bring dear son out after his injection. cos i'm afriad he will have fever, so i will go home after the injection and let him rest at hm.. cos he had fever n bad flu/cough when he had his 1st 5in1 when he was 3mths old..
Apollo mummy, didnt u take 6-in-1? And... Why when he's 3months old? Hmm.. My boy will be taking his next week. He just turn 1month yesterday.

Thanks all mummies for reply. Will bring boy back home after jab. =)

apollo

Apollo mummy, didnt you take 6-in-1? And... Why when he's 3months old? Hmm.. My boy will be taking his next week. He just turn 1month yesterday.

Thanks all mummies for reply. Will bring boy back home after jab. =)
cos at 1st we brought him to polyclinic. for polyclinic, theier vaccines schedules is diffe from private pd, for poly, 6in1 starts at 3rd mth (at tt time) and i let ds took his 2nd hep b when he was 5weeks old.. aft tt we decided to bring him bk to our pd for further vaccines den the nurses told us the 'law' has 'change', if he take his 2heb b alrdy, den must take 5in1..

BUT BUT BUT, his vaccine schedule was lik 3rd mth, 5mth, 6mths.. shd be 3rd 4th th mth but he was ill so drag one mth bk.. and when it comes to 6mth old, taking his 3rd n last 5in1, we were told tt we can let him take 6in1 (5in1 + hep b) cos he has reach 6mths old alrdy..

hmm i not sure whether u understand what i'm trying to say anot, very complicated i noe. but in short, 5in1 n 6in1 is the SAME except tt 6in1 include 1dose of hep b vaccine. so u dont hav to go down to the clinic again for one of the hep b. save time =)

Ivy Miao

cos at 1st we brought him to polyclinic. for polyclinic, theier vaccines schedules is diffe from private pediatrician, for poly, 6in1 starts at 3rd month (at that time) and i let dear son took his 2nd hep b when he was 5weeks old.. after that we decided to bring him back to our pediatrician for further vaccines then the nurses told us the 'law' has 'change', if he take his 2heb b alrdy, then must take 5in1..

BUT BUT BUT, his vaccine schedule was lik 3rd month, 5mth, 6mths.. should be 3rd 4th th month but he was ill so drag one month back.. and when it comes to 6mth old, taking his 3rd n last 5in1, we were told that we can let him take 6in1 (5in1 + hep b) cos he has reach 6mths old alrdy..

hmm i not sure whether you understand what i'm trying to say anot, very complicated i know. but in short, 5in1 n 6in1 is the SAME except that 6in1 include 1dose of hep b vaccine. so you dont hav to go down to the clinic again for one of the hep b. save time =)
Oh!! I got it.. Thanks, Apollo mummy.. =)

huihui.quek

Hi Norfan, yesterday i had just brought my child (1yr old) for the Pneumococcal Jab and Hepatitis A.

For your infor, I understand from my Baby doctor is that Pneumococcal Jab needs 4 jabs if r baby took the vaccine at few months old. Therefore, he encouraged us to take the jab only after he turns one year old, as needs 2 jabs, the other jab will be taken when he turns 15 months.

pigletif

my pd said that for pneumococcal jab >
by law is 3 jab , which is 3 mth, 4mth , 5mth.
by the maunfacturer is 4 jab, 3mth, 4mth, 5mth and 1 yr old.

so its really depends on parents whether u want 3 or 4 jab.

JoyBliss

I visited polyclinic few days ago for ds 1st jab. I was told diff. practitioners follow diff. schedules. At polyclinic, they follow the schedule set by moh: <1yr= 3 jabs, >1 yr= 1 jab. ... So it will be 1st and last jab for ds (>1yr)

norfen

hmmmm....
my daughter turns 10mths in 2 days time..
so i guess i'll wait till she turns 1 yr old in 2 mths time then? for the pneumococcal jab...

what i understand from my PD is that if you take the first jab at the 3rd month, then 4 jabs in total. but if you start after the 6 month, then is first jab at month 7, seccond jab at month 9, then last jab after 1 years old. so if u give your baby jab at after 1 year, then is only one jab. Yes, now is compulsory, heard from the news.

Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 18 October 2009 1837 hrs
Parents will be able to use their Medisave to pay for their child's vaccinations against pneumococcal disease. And that is when the jab becomes compulsory for all newborns in Singapore.

All newborns in Singapore are given Hepatitis B shots, one of the first in a series of compulsory vaccinations they will get over the next 12 years under the National Childhood Immunisation Programme.

From November, the list will also include the pneumococcal vaccine, and parents will be able to use their Medisave accounts to pay for it.

Each vaccine shot costs between S$140 and S$180, and three doses are required by the time the child turns two.

apollo

mummies, i just checked with my pd. he said for babies below 6mths, need 4jabs. i asked him again y some mummies were saying their babies went for the 1st jab at 3rd mth old but only need 3jabs.

he told me the reason:

by right, if the 1st jab is taken below 6mths, need 4 jabs. but recently govt make pneumoccocal a compulsory jabs and they feel that since every babies will take this jab, the chances of babies getting pneu will be lower. however my pd said he personally encourage ds to complete the jabs just to play safe, cos no one can guarantee how low is the low chances =)

paperdebris

hi,
from the other post (injection-pediatrician,Polyclinic or GP? - Page 2) the pneumococcal at polyclinics is as below:
Pneumococcal - $160 per dose.
Package 1 : 2 doses + 1 booster for 3 / 5 / 15 months
Package 2 : 1 dose for between 12-59 months
my question is, how many doses does a 15 month bb needs? its stated 1 dose at poly, whereas in gp and pd they reccomend 2 doses. so if we follow the polyclinic, is 1 dose sufficient to cover the bb for pneumococcal?