Pocket money / Allowance

vion

Wow, if the child is only in Pri sch and u give $50 a week, it's like $10 a day? That's a lot!!! Dun u think so?

Pri sch canteen food is normally like 50cts or 60cts. Giving $10 a day, aren't we giving tooooo much??? hehe

But of course if older then also need to increase according to age lor....older, bigger, eat more ma.....
Haha, rjj, my elder ger oredi in P1 tis yr..she's bringing $1.50 per sch day now...i presumed there'll b an increase as she grows up...question is in future thus my $50 per wk allowance is applicable from say secondary sch onwards ba...:tlaugh:

vion

i give enough only for emergency use...like need to buy eraser and pencils or exercise books cos no more etc.

However, I will encourage my daughter to get ready all the things she needs for school and buy the necessities from Popular as it is cheaper with discount.

As for food, I will prepare her lunch box as she is a rather slow eater. By the time she queue for food and eat, think at her second mouth the bell will ring.

So the pocket money is more for emergency use and if not use, will be put into piggy bank and accumulate to buy her own favourite stuff.
I oso always mk sure dd has all the stationery she needs. Side track a bit hor, wat wld u prepare for her cos worried by recess time food wld turn bad due to the hot weather. :tlaugh:

stonston

i use to get $2/mealin sec sch....this is how my mum calculate:

a plate of something in sch typically cost $0.80 - $1
a drink costs $0.50
Fruit/snacks around $0.50

so if gotta take recess n lunch, will get $4....

if need to buy stationary, clothes, etc...i tell my mum, she will bring me go n buy...
n she keeps a $10 in my wallet for emergencies...i'm not suppose to use it unless it is an emergency...she checks tt e $10 is still there once a week :)

oh ya, weekends i will get $5 if i go out..if watch movie my parents will buy tix for me first, then give me $ for popcorn...tt's all lor...

i tink too little would be better than too much...my frens had alot of $$ to spare in sec sch n during JC/Uni days...now they start working, dunno how to save at all....

LoVeS

i rmb i gotten $360 per mth for 3 meals per day for 1mth coz my parents always not ard, include transport, hp bills n even my daily needs

maine78

i got $20 per month coz v poor tat time n single income only. Mostly i'll skip recess n go hm eat instead eat at school. No transport coz i'll walk hm

rjj

$5~$10 per day is toooo much even in Sec school. Unless of cos, dis child needs to settle most meals outside.

I agree with Stonston's mum.... my boy school 'something' is normally around 50cts or 60cts. As I dun encourage him to drink 'color' water, I give him $1 a day only. Even on days he is very hungry, he can buy 50cts of 2 items.

To give him a chance to learn money management, we actually give him $5 every Monday. He is then to work on that amount for 5 days. Of course, some weeks, he finish them by Thurs or Fri, he will have to tell us and explain where the money goes. We will then give him another $1 or $2.

Like Stonston's mum, we oso give him extra $2, which he cannot use. Unless emergency. Why $10 daily? Everyday got emergencies?

Actually these kids really spend a lot on things that are not necessary whenever they have toooo much.

I know of a ger, she always buy stationaries for her frens. When her parents question her, she say so that ppl will play wif her when she give them presents..... is this the right way? Wat makes her think she'll not have any fren if she dun give presents leh? So young know how to 'buy' ppl liao.... scary?

stonston

I know of a ger, she always buy stationaries for her frens. When her parents question her, she say so that ppl will play wif her when she give them presents..... is this the right way? Wat makes her think she'll not have any fren if she dun give presents leh? So young know how to 'buy' ppl liao.... scary?
i noe of alot of pple who r like tt...always treat their frens, always buy stuff for their frens...

for me my mum gave me weekly pocket money in pri, monthly in sec....then when i started working after Os i got my own bank acct with ATM card...

for my sis she gave monthly pocket $ since P5....n she has her own ATM card since sec sch...my mum transfers her allowance over every mth n my mum keeps e bank book in which she updates regularly to check my sis' spending....

cos sometimes it is easier to save money u cant 'touch'....my sis is v good at saving $$, she managed to save alot already....

CynCyn

Ya I mean $5-$10 is for secondary school . I dunno how to cook and i dont think i will be learning either . So meals gotta settle outside . So I think is more then enough for this amount .

But of cos in primary school won't give this much . Pri. school things so cheap . Maybe $2 to $4 range ? Not too much right .

LoVeS

Ya I mean $5-$10 is for secondary school . I dunno how to cook and i dont think i will be learning either . So meals gotta settle outside . So I think is more then enough for this amount .

But of cos in primary school won't give this much . Pri. school things so cheap . Maybe $2 to $4 range ? Not too much right .
ya not too much but if need to settle outside for rest of the meals 2-4 not enuff liao.

Carol

I'd rather give too little than too much . If he needs more , he can ask it from me provided he has a valid reason for spending . I'd rather they be independant and work part time if they feels that they need more . Then they'll know the pains of earning money and not overspending . Dun wan them to come running to me and hold his hands out when he's broke .

M

^Mami_Jazz^

I'd rather give too little than too much . If he needs more , he can ask it from me provided he has a valid reason for spending . I'd rather they be independant and work part time if they feels that they need more . Then they'll know the pains of earning money and not overspending . Dun wan them to come running to me and hold his hands out when he's broke .
Yes, same thinking :tlaugh:
Thru hard ways then they & learn & grow