Porridge in Soup Stock

Domique

Hi all,

Normally soup stocks contain carrots...

thus i would like to check if its ok to cook porridge with soup stocks everyday. I am worried about my baby becoming "yellow" as he will be having carrots everyday in the soup stocks? Or is boiling carrots in soup stocks different from eating "orange" food?

Please advise.

Phoebii Cheng

For me I cook porridge with soup stocks too everyday, but I use different soup stork....for vegetable stock, I use brocolli, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes with ikan billis or silver fish

For meat stock, I use chicken, fish, beef (sometimes only), pork

Or sometimes I mix some veges with some meat to make stock.....

Did you only use carrots for stock?

Alaric turning yellow? mayb you might want to check with PD, last time I did hear once that eating a lot of carrots will make your skin a bit yellowish......

Domique

his meat stocks and veg stocks also got carrots in it to make it sweet....

no carrots or orange food how to make it sweet? headache....

I am now cutting on his orange food now. :)

Thanks Phoebii

For me I cook porridge with soup stocks too everyday, but I use different soup stork....for vegetable stock, I use brocolli, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes with ikan billis or silver fish

For meat stock, I use chicken, fish, beef (sometimes only), pork

Or sometimes I mix some veges with some meat to make stock.....

Did you only use carrots for stock?

Alaric turning yellow? mayb you might want to check with pediatrician, last time I did hear once that eating a lot of carrots will make your skin a bit yellowish......

Phoebii Cheng

Actually carrots in soup does not make it sweet

To make soup stock sweet, you might need to put in a bit of red dates or "gou qi"

autumn82

But the quantity of carrots isn't alot rite? If so, shouldn't be turning yellow... U can add onions as well to sweeten the soup.. :)

youkiko

can use butternut squash...very sweet also but cannot consumpt everyday..later bb turning yellowish..i normally cook porridge with same stock for 2-3days then change to other stock for 2-3days..bb will not get bored eating the same porridge everyday. cooking porridge using magic pot (thermal pot) is very easy n fast..just let the rice n stock boiled n add all the ingredients n put into the pot. no need to stir n the porridge will ready after 3-4hrs depend on the porridge texture you want.

uddermummy

hi dom, you may want to cut down on carrots and other fruits that contain lots of vitamin a.

Vitamin a remains in the body for quite some time so it's easier to overdose on vitamin a.

i think for soup stock, you can also try using dried chinese mushrooms, meat like chicken, and dried anchovies (ikan bilis)?

Domique

care to share what fruits (other than those orangey ones which i know they are rich in vit a) also contain lots of vit a?

hi dom, you may want to cut down on carrots and other fruits that contain lots of vitamin a.

Vitamin a remains in the body for quite some time so it's easier to overdose on vitamin a.

i think for soup stock, you can also try using dried chinese mushrooms, meat like chicken, and dried anchovies (ikan bilis)?

uddermummy

i googled and got this list:

liver
sweet potatos
carrots
mangoes
spinach
cantaloupe
dried apricots
milk
egg yolks
mozzarella cheese

am not so sure about the milk though...

Domique

Thanks for the effort and infor. greatly appreciated!

i googled and got this list:

liver
sweet potatos
carrots
mangoes
spinach
cantaloupe
dried apricots
milk
egg yolks
mozzarella cheese

am not so sure about the milk though...

shulyn

Hi all,

Normally soup stocks contain carrots...

thus i would like to check if its ok to cook porridge with soup stocks everyday. I am worried about my baby becoming "yellow" as he will be having carrots everyday in the soup stocks? Or is boiling carrots in soup stocks different from eating "orange" food?

Please advise.
Hi Domique,

Giving too much 'orange' food will cause baby to become yellow. I talk to a nurse in SBCC and she told me not to give too much food that is high in beta carotene as beta carotene is responsible for 'orange babies'. You might be giving too much especially having carrots, pumpkin etc everyday.

For me, sometimes i will use veggie stocks (contain lotus, apples, pearl corn). Most of the time me and my mum will use a generous portion of lean pork to cook with treston porridge and its already very sweet. Hey, you tried giving alaric 'Huai shan'? Taste so nice when cook with porridge:) Once a week i will make ikan billis soup stock and cook with his porridge with pork or chicken.

Juan

Hi Domique,

Giving too much 'orange' food will cause baby to become yellow. I talk to a nurse in SBCC and she told me not to give too much food that is high in beta carotene as beta carotene is responsible for 'orange babies'. You might be giving too much especially having carrots, pumpkin etc everyday.

For me, sometimes i will use veggie stocks (contain lotus, apples, pearl corn). Most of the time me and my mum will use a generous portion of lean pork to cook with treston porridge and its already very sweet. Hey, you tried giving alaric 'Huai shan'? Taste so nice when cook with porridge:) Once a week i will make ikan billis soup stock and cook with his porridge with pork or chicken.
Shulyn, pearl corn same as the normal corn sell in pair at NTUC? "Huai shan" you giving to your son is the chinese dry Huai Shan or those sell in raw at NTUC? What other stuff will you put when you cook Huai Shan porridge?

shulyn

Shulyn, pearl corn same as the normal corn sell in pair at NTUC? "Huai shan" you giving to your son is the chinese dry Huai Shan or those sell in raw at NTUC? What other stuff will you put when you cook Huai Shan porridge?
Hi Juan,

So far i know Fairprice dont sell pearl corn, i can only find it in wet market. I bought the 'Huai Shan' from wet market, imported from Japan. Pls remember to check with the veggie store where is it from cos got come from china and japan. Personally i find it tasty, taste like potato. When you cut and wash the huai shan, its very sticky no matter how you wash, its normal...

My porridge: I give dear son brown/white rice porridge for his dinner with Huai Shan (4 times a week) cook with a generous portion of lean pork. Veggie and fish steam separetely and serve with the porridge. Sometimes i will cook his porridge with my pre-prepared soup stocks like veggie soup stock and once a week will give ikan billis soup stock. For stuffs like carrot, pumpkin, tofu, pearl peas, egg yolk etc will either give it for lunch with cereal or dinner....

Juan

Hi Juan,

So far i know Fairprice dont sell pearl corn, i can only find it in wet market. I bought the 'Huai Shan' from wet market, imported from Japan. Pls remember to check with the veggie store where is it from cos got come from china and japan. Personally i find it tasty, taste like potato. When you cut and wash the huai shan, its very sticky no matter how you wash, its normal...

My porridge: I give dear son brown/white rice porridge for his dinner with Huai Shan (4 times a week) cook with a generous portion of lean pork. Veggie and fish steam separetely and serve with the porridge. Sometimes i will cook his porridge with my pre-prepared soup stocks like veggie soup stock and once a week will give ikan billis soup stock. For stuffs like carrot, pumpkin, tofu, pearl peas, egg yolk etc will either give it for lunch with cereal or dinner....
You puree the veggie or just serve after steam? Your boy can chew it? My girl just going to 8mths next week, she still don't know how to eat if serve separately, so everything must cook until very soft and add to the porridge.

camom

The fresh one is called Shan1 Yao4, the dried one is called huai shan.. Better buy fr wet markets, the ones in NTUC look so off.

jojoki

sometimes i put apples n pears, almost everytime i prepare porridge i use pumpkin n carrot, just a cube will do... no need a lot mar. but ya my nephew whom use to eat loads of carrot puree/ pumpkin was very yellow n orangey in fact but now at 3 plus he's super fair, his mom is ang moh! but as bb wah! super yellow n orangey!

Mummy to Baby V

Pearl corn seems to be sweetcorn; much sweeter than the usual corn. We used that for the vegetable stock and it tasted very sweet.

Our current stock uses sweetcorn, celery and carrot.

Gei Ji can be used, note that it's high in Vit A too.
Most fruits and vegetables that are orange and red are high in Vit A.

May also try apples and pears.

Happy cooking! :)

Cheers,
Mummy to BabyV
Win a Modern Cloth Diaper worth $30 at Mummy's Reviews Giveaway