Porridge

joycegian

I tried cooking normal rice porridge.
Wash the rice and cook over the fire about 15 - 30mins.
I realise that the normal rice will break up into smaller bits.

I also tried cooking brown rice porridge, same method.
But realise that brown rice wont break up into smaller bits.
It only turns very bloated.

After the rice is cooked, I will then put it into the grinder and make it a smooth consistency.
Then let it cool and then feed Dylan.

BUT he doesnt likes.
Anyway to make him like to eat home-cook porridge?

I let him eat those commercial brown rice cereal, just mix with water, he will eat alot.
But then home-cook one every mouth he eat he just spit it out.

Seems like all the commercial foods he will eat.
But home cook he eat a lil bit unless I mix it with the commercial cereals.

PinkDiamonds

Maybe commercial cereal has a taste in them that's why your baby will take it better?

You may wish to cook porridge with fish stock and add in some vegetable/fruit puree.

For me, I will cook the porridge with some fish stock, and add in a cube of frozen vegetable/fruit puree.

Not sure how old your child is. Mine is 6.5months and currently I give her carrot, apple, sweet potato, pumpkin purees. :)

joycegian

How do I make fish stock?
I've no idea what kind of fish to use.

I'm not a Kitchen person at all. LOLs.

Dylan is 7months+.. Going 8months in a few days time.

OH yes, I do add Vegetable/Fruit Puree always with the commercial cereal, He loves anything with the commercial.

But anything home cook without anything commercial, he will just eat a few mouths or sometimes just eat n spit out whatever he eats.

Maybe commercial cereal has a taste in them that's why your baby will take it better?

You may wish to cook porridge with fish stock and add in some vegetable/fruit puree.

For me, I will cook the porridge with some fish stock, and add in a cube of frozen vegetable/fruit puree.

Not sure how old your child is. Mine is 6.5months and currently I give her carrot, apple, sweet potato, pumpkin purees. :)

diymummy

I don't use fish stock. I just steam the fish and mash it into the porridge. It makes the porridge sweet with the other vegetables added in.

I think the commercial cereals are more fragrant than normal rice that's why your boy prefers it.

snowbear

For stock, you can chk out my blog. Alicia doesn't like fish stock so the stocks i've made for her so far are either meat and veggie stock or veggie and fruit stock.

For brown rice, you have to grind it up first before cooking or blend it/ press thru sieve after cooking for young bb. My dd started eating brown rice porridge as it is only after 10mths. For softer brown rice, you can soak overnight too.

joycegian

If I grind up Brown Rice first to powder form before cooking, Do I have to wash the rice first?

Because I tried washing the rice first then grinding it up and it all turn mushy.

What's the fastest method to cook brown rice porridge?

Dylan just turned 8months.
So don't need so smooth consistency.

snowbear

If I grind up Brown Rice first to powder form before cooking, Do I have to wash the rice first?

Because I tried washing the rice first then grinding it up and it all turn mushy.

What's the fastest method to cook brown rice porridge?

Dylan just turned 8months.
So dont't need so smooth consistency.
You need to let the rice dry after washing before grinding. Can either sun it or toast it.

Cooking the brown rice that you have ground into powder is the fastest way to cook brown rice porridge. Otherwise, whole brown rice grains take quite a while to cook.

joycegian

Ok,
I just wash the brown rice.
Dry it over a saucepan.
And its grinded into powder already.

And I read your blog about stocks.
What's corn cobs?

The meat/vegetable stock like troublesome leis..
So many ingredients..

And if lets say the ingredients used for boiling the soup, after that can use the ingredients to puree and keep for baby?

jojoki

brown rice needs much more water to cook than white rice.. everytime i boil porridge for bb i'll put a slice of japanese pumpkin.. it adds a lot of sweetness into the porridge. Pumpking has good nutritional values and softens easily. just cut into cubes n place to cook wth porridge. ONce done,u can easily mash it up with spoon.

Personally, I prepare porridge fr bb this way.

1. Place rice, carrots, potato n pumpkin into slow cooker to cook.

2. Steam a small slice of threadfin to mix with porridge.

3. Steam brocolli/ spinach. Puree them n add some to the porridge.

So far bb likes it.

snowbear

Ok,
I just wash the brown rice.
Dry it over a saucepan.
And its grinded into powder already.

And I read your blog about stocks.
What's corn cobs?

The meat/vegetable stock like troublesome leis..
So many ingredients..

And if lets say the ingredients used for boiling the soup, after that can use the ingredients to puree and keep for baby?
Corn cobs usually come in pairs at the supermarket. Just look out for corn at the veggie section.

No, i dun puree and keep the food for baby coz it already has no taste. All the taste is in the stock already...

Anyway, only need to boil stock every week or so. It's not like need to do it every day so I think it's not too troublesome...

Last edited:

Juan

hi mommies, if cook minced chicken/pork porridge will you let your baby eat the minced meat also? My girl is only 7.5mths old and she only can eat very very soft porridge. Still not very good in swallowing. I try to mash threadin fish and add to her porridge, she dun like it. And some I saw some mommies steam cod fish and just serve it alone, how you all feed to your baby? Will you mash the fish and feed your baby?

Ting

Juan, for minced pork, in the beginning, i do not give pin as i worry she cant chew, after she start chewing well, i let her try n if she doesnt gag, i will let her eat.
but im quite KS, will ask the butcher to mince it 2 times then when i go home i will still pound it with the knife n chop chop chop... lol~

autumn82

hi mommies, if cook minced chicken/pork porridge will you let your baby eat the minced meat also? My girl is only 7.5mths old and she only can eat very very soft porridge. Still not very good in swallowing. I try to mash threadin fish and add to her porridge, she dont like it. And some I saw some mommies steam cod fish and just serve it alone, how you all feed to your baby? Will you mash the fish and feed your baby?
I think you can hold alittle longer like 10mths++ and above then introduce meat to her coz her digestive system not as good yet and can't chew.

If she doesn't like adding fish into the porridge, u can steam the fish and mash it up. Give her one mouth of porridge, one mouth of fish.

diymummy

Hi Juan, I give my baby minced chicken. I will buy chicken breast from the market and cut into pieces. After steaming, I will blend it in my blender until very minced before mixing it into the porridge with other vege. I only intro chicken after 10mths.

For fish I use threadfin. I tried giving salmon before but my boy's tummy couldn't take it at 7.5 mths and had diarrhea. So my PD adviced me to put off oily fishes like salmon and cod till after 1 year of age. But I do know mummies here who give their babies salmon and cod and their babies are fine. So I guess it depends on how well your baby will take to oily fish. Oily fishes usually tastes nicer and has a richer flavour...

Or for fish you can try silver fish/white bait/ying yu? Can buy them fresh from the market. Mummies here recommend removing the head before using it. There's a thread about this fish. You might want to check it out. :)

Juan

Hi Juan, I give my baby minced chicken. I will buy chicken breast from the market and cut into pieces. After steaming, I will blend it in my blender until very minced before mixing it into the porridge with other vege. I only intro chicken after 10mths.

For fish I use threadfin. I tried giving salmon before but my boy's tummy couldn't take it at 7.5 mths and had diarrhea. So my pediatrician adviced me to put off oily fishes like salmon and cod till after 1 year of age. But I do know mummies here who give their babies salmon and cod and their babies are fine. So I guess it depends on how well your baby will take to oily fish. Oily fishes usually tastes nicer and has a richer flavour...

Or for fish you can try silver fish/white bait/ying yu? Can buy them fresh from the market. Mummies here recommend removing the head before using it. There's a thread about this fish. You might want to check it out. :)
Thanks diymummy, but for silver fish, I need to wash, dry it and grind to powder right? Or can I just cook the silver fish to the porridge, then let my girl just eat the porridge without the silver fish, will this nutrition for her?

diymummy

I've not tried preparing silver fish... But I've read that the mummies who wanna keep it will wash, dry and grind into powder then add into the porridge.

If you cook in the porridge direct I suppose if you eat the porridge got the taste, means the nutrition is also inside already ;) But eating the silver fish is good for baby... Got calcium. If baby cannot chew, then can put it off, can just let her get used to the taste first.

joycegian

HELP!! Pls advise, experience mummies.

according to snowbear's blog, I made the Vegetable/Fruit Stock.
Grinding the brown rice into powder.
Heat up 180ml of stock with 1 1/2 tablespoon of powdered brown rice.

Smells realli nice, but my boy still don't like.
HOW?

He seems to hate eating everything itself unless you mix it with his commercial cereals.

I cooked vege puree, give him eat as it is, he only eat one mouth and cry(trying to tell me he don't want?).
But if I mix with his cereal, he love it.

HOW??
I wana stop giving him commercial cereals and only feed him home-cooked food.

diymummy

Do you mix milk into his commercial cereal? Maybe he likes the smell of milk? How long have you tried feeding porridge?

My boy also prefered commercial cereal at first because that's what we started him on. We just kept trying to feed porrdige. From once a week, to twice a week, then more often until he is accustomed to the taste.

Maybe it works something like plain water. My boy hated water. So I trick him to drink my adding some milk powder but not a lot. Slowly I added lesser and lesser milk powder until now he is able to take plain water.

joycegian

My boy started with commercial cereals too.
Currently all his cereals are the Nestle one which I think already has formula milk mixed with it so I just mix with warm water and feed.
Sometimes may add vege puree / fruit puree.

I tried feeding him once in awhile.
But everytime he just take a mouth and den spit it out and crys refusing to take the second mouth.

I don't like to try it often as he does not even want to take in a mouth full.
So I'm afraid he would be hungry.

And if he crys refusing to take the 2nd mouth and then me, afraid he'll be hungry, make cereal after he refuse, I'm afraid it will be a habit that he gets things his way.

So very lost now as I don't know how to make him eat brown rice porridge.

diymummy

How abt trying white rice porridge?

My colleague's son loves white rice... But don't like brown rice.