Porridge

chrisgal

bb refuse to take porridge.. wat's wrong

hi all mummies... dear son is 6 months now! try cooking porridge for him tried 4 times, but he didnt like it. he will puke out everytime i feed him porridge. any mummies having this problem before?

i've tried cooking plain porridge with pork
i've tried cooking plain porridge wit fish and pumpkim

autumn82

Re: bb refuse to take porridge.. wat's wrong

hi all mummies... dear son is 6 months now! try cooking porridge for him tried 4 times, but he didnt like it. he will puke out everytime i feed him porridge. any mummies having this problem before?

i've tried cooking plain porridge with pork
i've tried cooking plain porridge wit fish and pumpkim
Maybe he's not ready for it yet? Has he taken cereal yet? U might wanna try that 1st? Or purees?

Alternatively, u can try plain porridge with pumpkins. :) See if he likes sweet taste?

apollo

when i 1st intro ds porridge, he also lik tt. want him eat machiam wan him die lik tt...

but now so far okay.. but he still prefer his cereal than porridge..

btw, izzit he use his tongue to push out the porridge? initial stage confirm will lik tt. very normal, cos they 'dont know' hw to eat via spoon..

chrisgal

Maybe he's not ready for it yet? Has he taken cereal yet? you might wanna try that 1st? Or purees?

Alternatively, you can try plain porridge with pumpkins. :) See if he likes sweet taste?
ya... i bought nestle brown rice cereal... and wen he is four mths old.. i fed him wit friso cereal also... he is fine wit both... i feed him wit banana he also take it.... 6mth too early?????

chrisgal

when i 1st intro dear son porridge, he also lik that. want him eat machiam want him die lik that...

but now so far okay.. but he still prefer his cereal than porridge..

btw, izzit he use his tongue to push out the porridge? initial stage confirm will lik that. very normal, cos they 'dont know' hw to eat via spoon..

no he didnt push out the porridge... he eat and give me the " super bad taste" look den gag... den eat few more mouth-all gag, den after tat he puke everything out. i've start feeding him wit spoon since he 4 mths old for his cereal.... he is ok.... but once i intro him porridge... he become like this

today i tried feeding him carrot and potatoes alone without porridge, he also like this... haiz

should i not continue trying??

autumn82

ya... i bought nestle brown rice cereal... and wen he is four mths old.. i fed him wit friso cereal also... he is fine wit both... i feed him wit banana he also take it.... 6mth too early?????
I think he's used to the commercial cereal's sweet taste.. So when u give him porridge which taste slightly blander than it, he refuses to take it.. :001_302:

chrisgal

I think he's used to the commercial cereal's sweet taste.. So when you give him porridge which taste slightly blander than it, he refuses to take it.. :001_302:
huh.. den how? aiyo... i so headache... or he still doesnt noe how to swallow properly that's why when i feed him porridge or other things he will gag and puke??? coz i oni feed him wit cereal on and off during that time.... and stop for quite long b4 i intro it to him again? do i have to feed him wit cereal everyday to "train" him in swallowing till he "expert" den intro porridge to him??? haiyo.... reli so upset lo:wong19:

jojoki

hi chirsgal, i think 6 mths a bit early too.. ? i started to intro (intro only hor) at 7 mths n at 9 mths now he eats like quarter of a bowl twice a day. n dats very little.. i think its ok la... if he eats one two spoonful thn let him be,, but dun make the experience unpleasant fr him.

apparently babies have clean palate,, so it may not be the taste dat he doesnt likes but the texture??
jmho!

autumn82

huh.. then how? aiyo... i so headache... or he still doesnt know how to swallow properly that's why when i feed him porridge or other things he will gag and puke??? coz i oni feed him wit cereal on and off during that time.... and stop for quite long before i intro it to him again? do i have to feed him wit cereal everyday to "train" him in swallowing till he "expert" then intro porridge to him??? haiyo.... reli so upset :wong19:
If he still doesn't know how to swallow properly, you can blend the porridge and let him try. See if it's the texture problem. :)

I started Iggy on rice cereal at 5mths+ and blended porridge when he was 7-8mths all the way until 11mths+ then I stopped the blending.

chrisgal

If he still doesn't know how to swallow properly, you can blend the porridge and let him try. See if it's the texture problem. :)

I started Iggy on rice cereal at 5mths+ and blended porridge when he was 7-8mths all the way until 11mths+ then I stopped the blending.
how to blend??? erm... let's say i cook the porridge in like cantonese way?? very nua de porridge... haha... den use blender and blend it again??? these few days i feeding him brown rice cereal.... and he is ok wit it

autumn82

how to blend??? erm... let's say i cook the porridge in like cantonese way?? very nua porridge... haha... then use blender and blend it again??? these few days i feeding him brown rice cereal.... and he is ok wit it
Try and gauge for yourself if the brown rice cereal's texture is the same as the cantonese porridge which you cook, with no lumps and bits & pieces of rice in it. If both foods are of same texture, then u can rule out texture. :001_302:

I used braun handheld blender to blend the porridge after cooking it. Some mummies grind the rice grains before cooking. :)

If he's fine with brown rice cereal, why not stick to it 1st and add veg/meat purees in it? :)

chrisgal

Try and gauge for yourself if the brown rice cereal's texture is the same as the cantonese porridge which you cook, with no lumps and bits & pieces of rice in it. If both foods are of same texture, then you can rule out texture. :001_302:

I used braun handheld blender to blend the porridge after cooking it. Some mummies grind the rice grains before cooking. :)

If he's fine with brown rice cereal, why not stick to it 1st and add veg/meat purees in it? :)
i jus bought an organic pumpkim puree today... so let's say if i wanna mix the puree into the brown rice cereal... shall i heat up the puree first??? how to heat up? use microwave can??? sori .... was reli blur in all this...

autumn82

i just bought an organic pumpkim puree today... so let's say if i wanna mix the puree into the brown rice cereal... shall i heat up the puree first??? how to heat up? use microwave can??? sori .... was reli blur in all this...
Usually the pumpkim puree is ready to be eaten, so dont need to heat up. If you really wanna heat up, u can put the bottle into a glass of hot water to warm it up. :)

snowbear

i just bought an organic pumpkim puree today... so let's say if i wanna mix the puree into the brown rice cereal... shall i heat up the puree first??? how to heat up? use microwave can??? sori .... was reli blur in all this...
You can scoop out what u need with a clean spoon and put the puree into a bowl safe for microwaving. Or steam it to make it warm.

JazzJewel

hey chrisgal:

what i did with Gwen (when she was 6mths old), for those commerical purees, was to scoop out the required portion into a small bowl, and submerge the bowl into another bigger bowl of warm/hot water. I felt this is safer. If you need to microwave, pls do ensure that there arent pockets of steaming hot lumps. As for the unused portion, must refrigerate. IIRC, must discard after 48 hours after opening.

As for your baby's gagging and puking, could it be the spoon that you are using? say, perhaps too big, and the portion scooped is too much for your Jr? Cos cereal's textures are usually smoother than compared to porridge. Hence, even if you scoop the same amt of cereal or porridge, baby might gag cos porridge is "more textured"?

Good luck!

annie

actually.. if u wanna mix into the porridge, i would mix it in without heating cos porridge itself is already very hot.. so after mixing into the porridge, it should bring the porridge to a good temp to be consume.. these jar bb food can be consume without heating if your bb is ok with taking food at room temp

Hi mummies

can teach me how to cook porridge step by step?

1) i dont have a slow cooker so intend to use a claypot to cook. is it possible?
2) for 7 months baby, do i have to cook the porridge till the rice break down into like a paste or what.. ?
3) my son still eat very little, so how much rice and water to cook the porridge... pls advise...

thanks!!!

Ting

chillaxville, eh, i dunno if possible to cook with claypot, but i think it shld work like normal pot right? if not, buy a small pot to cook (like those metal pot u use to cook noodles).
since your son just started, best to cook til smooth, meaning like congee like tt.. then easier for him to swallow.
as for amt, i starting only use abt one small handful of rice to cook, water, just agar cover the rice n slightly more. (while cooking, if not enuf, can add in hot water)
when the rice is starting to break down n soften, can add in yor ingredients...then as long all is cooked, let it cool then feed your boy..
first few times they might just only eat a few mouths, u can try abit more day by day.
n if not enuf, u can increase the portion slowly. :)

thanks for the reply, Ting!
do i have to keep stirring or can just leave it? low fire? how long it takes for the rice to become smooth?
cos im alone with him at home, i cant effort to watch out for the porridge till it's cooked. somemore now he wants to b carried all the time...