Porridge

Girafee

hi,

I use the normal stainless steel pot to cook the fish + carrort/pumpkin porridge for my 7 months old baby. The water just slight cover the rice. Don't put too little water if you can't afford to watch the porridge all the time. More water than you cook it become burned. Burned porridge you need to throw away, porridge with more water you still can give it to your baby, treat it as drinking water...

I set the timer to cook for 20 mins and leave it become cool then i will blend the porridge with blender till smooth. My experience is 15-20 mins with small fire just nice. ( by the way, i am using induction stove which can set timer)

My baby will finish the whole big bowl in 30 mins.....quite good.:)

mandymtb

i m using a slow cooker and i put in 2 tbsp (those measuring spoon to be exact) of rice grain with 250ml of either water or soup stock and leave it cooking for bout 3hrs.... the porridge is jus nice, soft and not too watery for feeding

Ting

thanks for the reply, Ting!
do i have to keep stirring or can just leave it? low fire? how long it takes for the rice to become smooth?
cos im alone with him at home, i cant effort to watch out for the porridge till it's cooked. somemore now he wants to b carried all the time...
alternatively, u can use a slow cooker.
u can prepare the ingredients in the morning n put all into the cooker n let it cook by itself. by noon shld be done.
but, as ur son just started only, it will only be a tiny portion, so i think quite a waste of time.
normally i cook only take abt ten mins max to cook everything.
soak the rice in the water for abt 10-15 mins so that it will soften the rice for faster cooking.
or, u can blend the rice first then cook.
for me i use high temp, cos im using a insulator, n not gas stove at home, lowest temp alr 100deg.
the porridge after cooking wont be tt smooth (like cereal) so some ppl wil blend it after cooking b4 giving to the baby.
for me, im lazy to do so, n pin can take unblended porridge well, so i dun hv to.

wawa

My boy coming to 8mths now, still struggling to get him to eat cereal and porridge. Don't understand why he doesn't like it. Rarely he finish up his cereal, usually only eat a few spoons and will cry. Tried with apple n banana puree, he doesn't like it as well. The only 2 foods he eat are bread and milk. Any suggestion?

Ting

do u add his FM/BM to the cereal??
also can add pumpkin or carrot to make it sweet. :)
texture its very impt too. try to make it as smooth as possible to let him get used to it, then slowly make it thicker n chunkier. :)

Oppsgal

Hi mummies

can teach me how to cook porridge step by step?

1) i dont have a slow cooker so intend to use a claypot to cook. is it possible?
2) for 7 months baby, do i have to cook the porridge till the rice break down into like a paste or what.. ?
3) my son still eat very little, so how much rice and water to cook the porridge... pls advise...

thanks!!!
Think claypot cannot cook porridge? Will stick? Never try before also. Just use stainless steel pot or use non stick pan cook porridge. Add lots of water and boiled until rice soften. Maybe you eat the rest of the porridge if your baby eat little.

I cook then give my baby 2 tablespoon, the rest I eat. :embarrassed:

Oppsgal

i m using a slow cooker and i put in 2 tbsp (those measuring spoon to be exact) of rice grain with 250ml of either water or soup stock and leave it cooking for bout 3hrs.... the porridge is just nice, soft and not too watery for feeding
Cook so long? I only cook about half hour to 1 hour if slow cook.

I never measure how much rice. I happy then put more...as long water is more than twice the rice grain. :001_302:

annie

my girl also sometimes does this. sometimes she likes porridge, sometmes she reject it for weeks! so have to try other things like rice balls, fried rice, pasta, noodle etc.. troublesome girl...these few days she is having problems with porridge once again. think i need to rack up new ideas again. hai~

mandymtb

Cook so long? I only cook about half hour to 1 hour if slow cook.

I never measure how much rice. I happy then put more...as long water is more than twice the rice grain. :001_302:
hee... i jus leave it there once i put the things in... i think 1-2 hrs ba... but i always check 3hrs later... cos i usually dump in the things aft her milk feed, and when its time for her nxt feed, i check the porridge :))

meiteoh

Just a note to mummies - our babies are tiny versions of us. So imagine if you eat cereal or porridge every day? Sian right? So try to intro some variety in terms of flavours, textures, colours and even herbs/spices into your baby's diet.

annie

meiteoh, i used to think babies wont be that 'smart' to feel sick of eating the same kind of carbo daily but it seems tat im wrong haha. but then again, maybe im the strange one, i dun mind eating the same carbo daily.. even if its the same dish! lol. i need rice everyday.. if not i dun feel full at all.. when i was in sg, i eat fish soup with rice or fried rice everyday! i dun remember how many yrs ive been keeping this daily menu though..so much so that all my frens know wat i like to eat! of cos ocasionally i have other things eg herbal chicken with soup plus rice(again) but not often. i seldom have noodles.. everyday, every meal is rice rice n rice n i dun feel sick of it because they are presented in different ways so i thought as long as the ingredients in porridge is differnet, it should be fine. anyway until now, ive yet to find out what my girl likes...whether she is just plain picky, whether she likes variety of carbo instead of just rice or porridge..

these few days ive been giving her udon, beehoon, macaroni, noodle n not porridge and so far so good. she has been eating them though super slowly~ im looking forward to cooking her porridge/rice again and hopefully she will welcome them back into her menu.

wawa

do you add his FM/breast milk to the cereal??
also can add pumpkin or carrot to make it sweet. :)
texture its very impt too. try to make it as smooth as possible to let him get used to it, then slowly make it thicker n chunkier. :)
i didnt add any milk as the cereal has added milk in so I only add hot water.

Try pumpkin, and he hates it as well. I tried to use soup base to cook his porridge (like old cucumber soup, Dong Gua soup, Yu Chi Gua soup, ABC soup) but none of them get him to eat. Most of the time he ate 5 spoons with most of the food being dig out using his finger. Tried fish and half egg yolk as well.

Make fruit purees also don't like to eat, is like feeding poison to him. T.T

I really had no idea how to get him to eat, it's like impossible task. Felt disappointed and depressed, kept thinking is it that I didn't cook it tasty.

Last edited: