Potty Training

felicity

My mil says to start potty training during confinement then v fast bb will be potty trained n no need diapers...

Newmumi

Hi mummies,
I'm having a big problem. My son,16mths is Alws having the tendency to pull down his pants& walk around without his diapers. He's the only 1 doing it in his infant care. Actually this started around when he's 14mths & now it's more regular. What is it suggestion? I haven had the time to potty train though he knows where the toilet is as he goes inside there to bath, play water & urine... Seriously headache.

MamabbJ

Finally, my baby boy is fully potty trained! He can signal when there is a need to. Need persistence and consistency in training your child. Just to share some of my experience:
1) The child needs to be ready, eg. to have good bowel control, able to signal his needs, etc.
2) You need to be firm but not pushy. May need some coaxing and a little raising of your voice if he/she refuses to sit on the poty especially when there is a need to pass motion. My son was resistant at home but was was always ok at the nanny's place. (He bullies mummy...)
3) Be consistent in your routine: same timing every day (eg. after breakfast), same place, same potty.
4) Praise him when he does it well... now my son is able to say, "wow," "bubble" when he wee-wees...
5) Leave him seated on the potty to pass motion in a quiet place -- do not talk or distract him. You may let him hold a small toy or a book. Previously, I was always next to him trying hard to coax him but it didn't work. It work wonders when I just leave him on his own and check on him after a few minutes and when he tells me it is done!
6) Passing motion is easier after a main solid meal.

All the best, mummies!

Eliza

I think the kids knows when they are ready to use the potty. I started potty training him since he was two but at times he will only pee in the toilet bowl and not poo. From age two to coming three years old (last year to early this year), he poop in the toilet bowl four times.
My boy is three years old this year and he decided to wean off diapers yesterday (YES! JUST!) =). He insist on wearing underwear, so I gave him his favourite cartoon character underwear and tells him to make sure he doesn't wet or poo in his underwear. I don't think there is a need to push them. Just like what their PD says, the child knows when he/ she is ready.
BTW, he also decided to wean himself off pacifier four months ago. =) So, just go according to their timing and you will be less frustrated. No wonder old folks kept saying when you have another one or two kids, you will be a pro already and more relax. =)

JazN

if you're forcing your child to use the potty the more they'll refuse. Each child is different thus potty training them varies from each individual. consistency & timing is the key.

it's good to read up on potty training books as they inform you when your child is ready to be potty trained, tips to getting them train, when not advisable to intro, etc. Caregivers for the child also need to be consistent in potty training.

Usually children who starts initially will always say no pee/poo. you need to bring them to the toilet every 30-45mins interval even if pee/poop or not. Interval will depend on your gauge when 'accident' happens.

For me, I forgo with the potty after i find it not helpful for my dear daughter & went for potty seat instead.

Wonderfulsky

Kids can start to potty train as young as two years old. (Some even younger)

But most important is the child posture and the child must feel comfortable with the potty.

Personally for my own kids, they have been both potty trained when they were babies. Good luck in potty training your kids!

andieluv2

My mum potty train my girl.whn she is barely full month... she will usually poo in the.potty whn we put her there and.in diapers.only whn she cannot.tahan. She got her own ques. So.once.we.see that we will bring potty.

lasery2k

mine i started to teach him wat is poo n pee...n pu lulu.(fart)..

after tt show him his poo n pee after he done it in the diapers..

then teach him how to say the words loh..

he's now 26mths..i just decided to stop letting him wear his diapers n put him in his little briefs. starting he duno then just pee on his pants...once he does tt everyone (as agreed) will blamed him on y he pee on his pants..this also let him have a feel of peeing his pants coz will wet..pee on diaper still dry mah as the diaper will absorb the pee..

as for pooing...he will tell us once he poo in his diapers...but he can also live with the poo in his diapers n play happily without telling us until we smell it. n he's also those dirty fellow tt can poo in hs sleep n con't to sleep...*vomit blood on this*...must have inherited his dad genes.

recently without diaper the poo will drop into his briefs n he will faster open his leg n scream for help....coz he scared will step on his poo..Maid n MIL did a very good job in helping to train him..(mummy will be the bad person who does the scolding once he pee his pants or poo in his pants)..

after 2weeks of leting him pee n poo in his pants..this whole week..once he want to pee he will start jumping around n hold his birdy n cry for us...after tt we will faster bring him go toliet n let him pee...once he pee liao he will be super happi..as for poo..still trying to put him on the toliet bowl..we bought the kiddo toliet seat to fix on the toliet bowl for him..so far i think only success once which we manage to catch him trying to poo n faster bring him to the seat..

MamabbJ

Hi lasery2k,

Thanks for your very candid, honest and funny sharing! :001_302: I am sure many mummies will identify with your experience.

mine i started to teach him wat is poo n pee...n pu lulu.(fart)..

after tt show him his poo n pee after he done it in the diapers..

then teach him how to say the words loh..

he's now 26mths..i just decided to stop letting him wear his diapers n put him in his little briefs. starting he duno then just pee on his pants...once he does tt everyone (as agreed) will blamed him on y he pee on his pants..this also let him have a feel of peeing his pants coz will wet..pee on diaper still dry mah as the diaper will absorb the pee..

as for pooing...he will tell us once he poo in his diapers...but he can also live with the poo in his diapers n play happily without telling us until we smell it. n he's also those dirty fellow tt can poo in hs sleep n con't to sleep...*vomit blood on this*...must have inherited his dad genes.

recently without diaper the poo will drop into his briefs n he will faster open his leg n scream for help....coz he scared will step on his poo..Maid n MIL did a very good job in helping to train him..(mummy will be the bad person who does the scolding once he pee his pants or poo in his pants)..

after 2weeks of leting him pee n poo in his pants..this whole week..once he want to pee he will start jumping around n hold his birdy n cry for us...after tt we will faster bring him go toliet n let him pee...once he pee liao he will be super happi..as for poo..still trying to put him on the toliet bowl..we bought the kiddo toliet seat to fix on the toliet bowl for him..so far i think only success once which we manage to catch him trying to poo n faster bring him to the seat..

lasery2k

HI Mamabbj,

lolx...now after 1 mth of training he will tell us liao...finally the peeing of the floor paid off..unless nap time or nite time then we put him in diapers..

but at times at nite he will wake up n tell me he wanna go pee...<--evil mummy still wanna sleep coz i wake up at 6.30 to go work..i will tell him u wearing diaper..pee in the diaper...i know it's bad coz he might take it as a habit..but this mummy here want rest too..

haiz..