Pregnancy Taboos ?

Jheyyy

I've heard of some food taboos from my sis-in-law, but sometimes i suspect she's a little too over. She listed so many stuffs that i couldnt take, & now i dont know which is true & which is not.

These are the stuffs she told me not to consume during pregnancy: -
  • Apple/Orange juice
  • Watermelon
  • Cold drinks
  • Ice cream
  • Coffee/Tea
  • Potato leaves/'Kang Kong'
  • Salted Vegetables
  • Crabs
  • Mutton

Are all these really food that expectant women should not consume ? :eek:11:

Other than food, she also told me i must not squat & tip-toe as well.
She nags a lot when i go to bed late. She says if i dont sleep at the proper bedtime, next time my baby will follow the same pattern. Really ?
I know we're not supposed to attend funerals. What about visiting patients at hospital ?

I'm confused.

She says if i dont sleep at the proper bedtime, next time my baby will follow the same pattern. Really ?
I know we're not supposed to attend funerals. What about visiting patients at hospital ?
not sure about this, last time during pregnancy, i slept around 11pm sometimes 1pm, now my boy sleep time around 10pm, and yeah once awhile he sleep arnd 10.30 to 11pm too, depend on his activity during the day. :001_302:

Logically hospital is full of virus and preggie women is vulnerable. so if not necessary, yeah better avoid ...

I've heard of some food taboos from my sis-in-law, but sometimes i suspect she's a little too over. She listed so many stuffs that i couldnt take, & now i dont know which is true & which is not.

• Apple/Orange juice - i drink it since my 1st trim. i tot its good to have more vitamins?
  • Watermelon - ya. i avoided watermelon. my mum says its too cooling for pregnant womans. so i didnt eat till now.
  • Cold drinks - during 1st trim i avoided drinking too cold drinks cos baby not stable. after that when im abt 3-4mths , i basically drink cold drinks daily, til now i drink 2-3 glass everyday. cos the weather too hot. and my mum didnt stop me either. but i do drink hot drinks too.
  • Ice cream - i got eat but not alot.
  • Coffee/Tea - i didnt drink, but i did drink ice milk tea often. i heard its becos of the caffeine?
  • Potato leaves/'Kang Kong' - potato leaves can, kangkong will cause leg cramp cos too much wind i think. i eat kang kong twice, twice oso kena super leg cramps at night!
  • Salted Vegetables - not too sure about it.
  • Crabs - i heard its because if u eat too much crabs, baby next time will have itchy hands, keep want to touch things. haha.
  • Mutton - they say will cause body odour for baby. so i avoided it.:)

She nags a lot when i go to bed late. She says if i dont sleep at the proper bedtime, next time my baby will follow the same pattern. Really ?

not sure abouting the squatting & tip.toe. ya. my mum did say if u slp at irregular hrs, next time baby will follow. but im not sure. she say it all depends, like now my edd approaching, i cant even slp at night! 3-4am and im still wide awake.
avoid hospital, alot of virus and bacteria.

I'm confused.

hope it helps u!. it all depends on each individual. im more half half. like dont nail, cut things on bed, bed room etc. i will listen to my mum. before moving the things in the room, check with my mum first. all these still believe a bit la. haha.

cheeseburger

• Apple/Orange juice
  • Watermelon
  • Cold drinks
  • Ice cream
  • Coffee/Tea
  • Salted Vegetables
  • Crabs
  • Mutton
Hmm...I remember my ob told me to avoid coffee, soda, and lessen my intake of rice. Coffee mainly due to caffeine, soda due to sugar, and rice due to carbo -- might result to me and my baby becoming too big. However, I still take. :001_302: Just lessen the amount, like, I usually drink coffee and soda everyday, and not just once. What I did was limit my consumption to once a week.
I also read from a book (forgot the author)that when pregnant, you could basically eat all that you used to eat, but with moderation.

Maybe she told you not to tiptoe to avoid accidents. Why tip-toe anyway? hehe. Cause once your belly starts to get big, it's easier to get off balanced. And I agree, try not to squat once your belly's big. I tried using those squat urinals when my belly's a bit big already, so uncomfortable I tell you. :embarrassed:

I'm confused.
Better get good rest when pregnant, eat well, and take your vitamins to boost your immunity.
But when I was still pregnant there were times when I slept past midnight... Changed habit when baby was born though, now we both sleep at 10:00 pm. :001_302:

apollo

• Apple/Orange juice
  • Watermelon
  • Cold drinks
  • Ice cream
  • Coffee/Tea
  • Salted Vegetables
  • Crabs
  • Mutton

I'm confused.
ehhh i ate ALL the above which ur SIL said CANNOT during preg.. LOL!

y cannot squat? squatting is good esp if u wan to go for natural birth!! i squatted daily tt time haha! and for bedtime, i think all NB babies slping time same: HAYWIRE!!! they slp more in e day, wake up at night, nth to do with the mother.

for funeral, if not close one, den dun go.. but what if it happen tt the person is a v close relative? but for this, most ppl can understand if u didnt turn up. Hospital: hmm... also depends on u. for me i not pantang but i'm more afriad of the germs. haha!:tlaugh:

Jheyyy

HAHAH !

Okay, i'm gonna satisfy some of my cravings !
Too much of "this cannot, that cannot" is killing me ! :001_302:

apollo

HAHAH !

Okay, i'm gonna satisfy some of my cravings !
Too much of "this cannot, that cannot" is killing me ! :001_302:
as long as u take those foods in moderation, actu is okay.. in fact oranges is good, full of vit C, i took tt daily during my preg =)

Justina

i agree with apollo because any food taken in moderation will be ok. but just be careful with cold drink and water-melon during the first trimester. you can have them more often after first trimester onwards.

i have friends who drink a cup of coffee everyday during pregnancy and still fine with it.

if you ask doctors, they will only ask you to avoid raw food like sushi and alcohol. other food taken in moderation are ok.

take care all mum-to-be's!

Jheyyy

YES !

I've started munching on juicy oranges & other fruits too !
Cold soya milk & ice water in this hot weather.... Shiokkkkkk !! :001_302:

Excited hubby

Alpha Male

• Apple/Orange juice - A good source of fluid if you do not have appetite
  • Watermelon - Too "Cold"
  • Cold drinks - Can drink
  • Ice cream - Can eat but Weight gain
  • Coffee/Tea - Caffeine
  • Potato leaves/'Kang Kong' - Never hear before
  • Salted Vegetables - Never hear before
  • Crabs - Scare baby next time itchy hands.
  • Mutton - Scare baby got "fits"
  • Dan gui - Those chinese herbs use to cook "lor mee", "lor duck", "kueh chap"
  • Pineapple - To strong it may cause miscarriage
  • Bird nest - If its pure bird nest consume too much baby will have phleam and even asthma because of the birds feather
  • Do not renovate house
  • Do not cut or saw on bed
  • Do not climb

I'm confused.
Just some knowledge gain during my wife pregneancy

Amulet

i agree with apollo because any food taken in moderation will be ok. but just be careful with cold drink and water-melon during the first trimester. you can have them more often after first trimester onwards.

i have friends who drink a cup of coffee everyday during pregnancy and still fine with it.

if you ask doctors, they will only ask you to avoid raw food like sushi and alcohol. other food taken in moderation are ok.

take care all mum-to-be's!
yeah.. mainly i just follow what my OB says.. apart from drugs n alcohol, i ate everything n anything i wan to eat.. I was given the green light on raw seafood even as long as it's from a reputable source.. so i had lotsa salmon sashimi, n even had my 1st fresh oyster back then at my company's christmas buffet..

• Apple/Orange juice I nvr heard of cannot take.. to me, it's FAR better than taking canned sugared drinks..
  • Watermelon I take those too coz it was jan-mar, the weather was FREAKING hot.. watermelon helps me feel cool..
  • Cold drinks I only had cold drinks throughout my whole pregnancy.. i'm not a warm drink person.. nvr like those.. my mum too, only had cold drink throughout her pregnancies.. she was lucky that there's no MIL to come n nag/haunt after her..
  • Ice cream No harm too.. For better benefits, choose those with high calcium.. but mind the fat value, sugar n calories ok..
  • Coffee/Tea This should be avoided due to caffine, but one cup a day is fine.. Note that even Coke is under this catergory.. I'm fine coz i'm not a coffee or tea person..
  • Potato leaves/'Kang Kong' nvr heard of.. i take all greens as they are..
  • Salted Vegetables nvr heard of.. I still love my kiam cais..
  • Crabs Had a few only as i was too lazy.. hahah..
  • Mutton Nvr heard that cannot eat.. But i myself don't eat mutton
Instead of listening to those 'tales', it's best to consult ur OB personally..

if cannot squat, thn how last time women poop before toilet bowls were invented?

Last edited:

luvjoanne

amulet, i'm pretty similar to u!
i still drink apple/orange juice and i think they are much healthier than soft drinks which i always crave for!
i still drink cold drinks.. i eat watermelons.. i even ate cheng tng but i limit myself to probably once a week.
i haven't ate any crabs, but wont mind eating haha..
i drink canned drinks (coke/coke light) at most 1x a day or every alternate days. i totally cut on my caffine from coffee/tea.
i was told not to squat but then again, i read from yoga websites squatting helps in delivery! so.. i am not too sure on this. though i think as long as we dont squat too long, it should be ok?

in all, i think moderation is the key.. my gynae says no problem to all the food mentioned above, so i just enjoy my diet as long as i have appetite :p

Amulet

amulet, i'm pretty similar to you!
i still drink apple/orange juice and i think they are much healthier than soft drinks which i always crave for!
i still drink cold drinks.. i eat watermelons.. i even ate cheng tng but i limit myself to probably once a week.
i have not't ate any crabs, but wont mind eating haha..
i drink canned drinks (coke/coke light) at most 1x a day or every alternate days. i totally cut on my caffine from coffee/tea.
i was told not to squat but then again, i read from yoga websites squatting helps in delivery! so.. i am not too sure on this. though i think as long as we dont squat too long, it should be ok?

in all, i think moderation is the key.. my gynae says no problem to all the food mentioned above, so i just enjoy my diet as long as i have appetite :p
yeah.. n my appetite was really good during the pregnancy:Dancing_tongue:

evie

Goodness me :eek:

I have eaten every single item that u have listed.........:err:

As for my caffeine intake, I have greatly reduced it. From 3 cups of coffee daily b4 I got pregnant , to 1 cup of tea daily nowadays.

I guess that I consider great improvement already...

Amulet

i feel that of all pregnancy taboos, this HIGH importance one is simply to keep away from alcohol, cigg(2nd hand smoke included), and unnecessary drug usage.. other than that, do and eat in moderation..

I saw some pregnant women, keep along with those pregnancy taboo myths, but still smoke throughout their pregnancy.. haiz..

apollo

i feel that of all pregnancy taboos, this HIGH importance one is simply to keep away from alcohol, cigg(2nd hand smoke included), and unnecessary drug usage.. other than that, do and eat in moderation..

I saw some pregnant women, keep along with those pregnancy taboo myths, but still smoke throughout their pregnancy.. sigh..
hw true!!! rather than following those old wives tales blindly, might as well keep oursleves (and bb) healthy. =)

jespang

Goodness me :eek:

I have eaten every single item that you have listed.........:err:

As for my caffeine intake, I have greatly reduced it. From 3 cups of coffee daily before I got pregnant , to 1 cup of tea daily nowadays.

I guess that I consider great improvement already...

I m a coffee person too.. must hv a cup of kopi or tea in the morning or else I will yawn n yawn none stop n feeling tired. But since I m pregnant, I try to drink half a cup or maybe coffee with more water and less sugar but doesn't taste that nice anymore:wong5:

Read some info from Chinese Physician, they warned abt taking barley and ginseng. But I thought ginseng is a good tonic for both mother and baby? Any mommies out there that hv been taking ginseng since the pregnancy?? How abt birdnest??

sunburst

I took all the items tt u listed while I was expecting... It's ok to eat just keep in mind moderation & variety. Variety to ensure u get a variety of nutrients. Really it is up to individual whether u want to follow or not. As for cooling & heaty food, supposedly not to take any cooling food... But if ur body is too heaty it will also be bad. I took plenty of cooling food as my body is generally heaty. I even ate sashimi as I had cravings for it... But of course I took in moderation & only went to reputable restaurants.

My personal take is tt if following such restrictions makes me uncomfortable or unhappy... I won't follow coz I believe in happy mummy = happy bb.

apollo

I m a coffee person too.. must have a cup of kopi or tea in the morning or else I will yawn n yawn none stop n feeling tired. But since I m pregnant, I try to drink half a cup or maybe coffee with more water and less sugar but doesn't taste that nice anymore:wong5:

Read some info from Chinese Physician, they warned about taking barley and ginseng. But I thought ginseng is a good tonic for both mother and baby? Any mommies out there that have been taking ginseng since the pregnancy?? How about birdnest??
hmm thru out my preg, i only had ginseng soup for 1x, tt was when my MIL boiled it for me.

as for birdnest, since 2nd tri onwards, i've been taking once to twice a week. usually 1x brew type plus 1x instant every week =)