Re: Any Mum Still Pumping Breast Milk While At Work?

p00h84

Hi Mummies out there,

Any of you still use breast pump to pump out your breastmilk while working? Coz my office there's no nursing room and it's located in the Industrial area.. so there's no nursing room elsewhere.

If that's the case how do I go about pumping breastmilk for my baby without letting others to know? Was thinking of doing it in the toilet.. but hmmz.. not v.hygiene..

Any mums in this kind of situation? Please share... :embarrassed:

toys_r_us

Any meeting rooms you can utilize?
I didn't realize there was a nursing room in my office building the first week i was back at work, so I just used a meeting room, locked the door and pumped

Lynnie

I also use the meeting room... No lock in our meeting rooms, so just inform my colleagues i'm using it (the meeting room is now our "milking" room)... haha...

Try not to do it in the toilet, kind of unhygenic...

Lynnie

How come - quoting you "without letting others know"? Are your colleagues mostly guys, or are they unsupportive of nursing mothers?

chiro

im still pumpin...since end may 2009..we have a sick bay room which can b used as a lactation room..

Maybe u can ask ur office to see if there any well concealed room?

M&M

i am still pumping milk while at work. pump in the meeting room most of the time. meeting room got see through glass... so i have to use breastfeeding bib to cover while pumping... there's once my colleague came in to the room asking me about our product and saw me covered in bib and asked me why am i hiding here so cold huh? hahaha! i dun even now how to reply him lo!
i will pump in toilet when meeting room is in use.

p00h84

hi mummies, thanks for the feedback..

Well, first of all, my office indeed has a meeting room but there's a glass panel there.. so if my colleagues (guys) walk past, they'll know what i'm doing.. myabe needs to purchase a nursing bib to hide the pump.. :shyxxx:

well, my office has 3 guys and 2 of them v.auntie.. including my boss.. so far i'm the only mummy that still wan to continue breastfeeding my bb when i return back to work, but the thing is, my office very small and there's no place to pump milk out coz all very open, including the rooms.. as we have small galss panel on it and i really dun wan to do it in the toilet.. i'm nt v.sure whether my boss will support a not as he is a guy.. maybe will tok to my mgr and see what she says.

anyway, what "equipment" or bags u all used to preserve the milk.. and what else shd i buy too? i only have a breast pump and a few milk storage bags.. :err:

Mummies, please share

PinkDiamonds

You can get a nursing cover, so you can even pump at your desk, as they cannot see. You will need to purchase a cooler bag to keep the milk chilled when u go home. Best if your office has a refrigerator you can use :)

snowbear

hi mummies, thanks for the feedback..

Well, first of all, my office indeed has a meeting room but there's a glass panel there.. so if my colleagues (guys) walk past, they'll know what i'm doing.. myabe needs to purchase a nursing bib to hide the pump.. :shyxxx:

well, my office has 3 guys and 2 of them very.auntie.. including my boss.. so far i'm the only mummy that still want to continue breastfeeding my baby when i return back to work, but the thing is, my office very small and there's no place to pump milk out coz all very open, including the rooms.. as we have small galss panel on it and i really dont want to do it in the toilet.. i'm not very.sure whether my boss will support a not as he is a guy.. maybe will tok to my mgr and see what she says.

anyway, what "equipment" or bags you all used to preserve the milk.. and what else should i buy too? i only have a breast pump and a few milk storage bags.. :err:

Mummies, please share
Before my workplace gave the mummies a nursing room to pump milk, the mummies used to pump milk in a room similar to your described room (with small glass panel) or in the toilet. Those who didn't like the toilet used the room and covered that glass panel with newspaper or anything that blocked the view then leave a note outside. :)

diymummy

I also bought an ice-pack... It's Tommy Tipee brand. Those types when you put in the freezer and it will become ice-hard.

Once I finish pumping, I will put the milk in the storage bags and put them in the fridge. When I'm going to go home, I would put the milk into my Avent cooler bag together with the ice-pack which would continue to keep the milk cold until I get home.

p00h84

hi mummies, thanks for the contribution :red:now i know what to prepare.. and it's nt easy being a working mum.. cheers to us:red:

cmeilim

i am back at wk for abt 3 weeks. still pumping. but i am fortunate to hv my own office (=privacy) and a kind colleague lent me her bar fridge to put in my room as she's done with breastfeeding. i bought cheap cooler bags and reusable ice blocks from Daiso, at $2 each, and got glass bottles from the hospital. The bags and ice blocks work fine for me so far keeping the milk cold for up to 2h outside the fridge. No need to buy the more expensive fridge-to-go bags, i feel, if u want to save money. :Dancing_wub:

Since the last one month i pumping milk in my office. Before resume my work i consult with my HR (lady) and asked to arrange any room. In my office has some meeting room but it also glass. So she arrange the file room. Everyday after lunch she give the room key. Also she mentioned in the freezer "dont open this".
:Dancing_tongue:

CarolOng

I'm still expressing BM after i've came back to work. As my girl doesn't latch, i die die mus express for her.

Thank God that my office does provide nursing room with sterilizer & water point.

I think the suggestion of using the meeting room & nursing cover is do-able... that's the 2nd best way ba... =)

nightingale

I'm also in a dilemma about whether to continue expressing at work. Just returned to work 2 days ago after ML and gosh, I'm finding it so hard to make time to go and express! Not just that - it's also awkward to explain to colleagues that you need to excuse yourself to go to the nursing room, especially to male colleagues. Lunchtime is the only time I can do it, and even so, I feel quite embarrassed having to tell colleagues I can't join them for makan because I have to rush back in time to pump. Sigh!

After so much effort and struggling for the past few months to keep up my low supply, now that I have to give it up, really feeling very heartpain! :(

Last edited:

geminifun

I am pumping milk at IT store room. The IT personnel set a mini desk for me at 1 corner of the room.

Yes, you should let ur HR manager know you need a room with privacy, equip with a desk and power point earlier before u report to work.

As for milk storing... it will be good for you to use bottle in office. Bottle can be wash and reusable. Long term is save. Normally, your milk pump come with milk storing bottle, use it.

I would recommend you to put ur milk at normal compartment of fridge. If you are putting at freezer, it will be frosten. When u are on the way home, it will defrost. I read before defrost milk must consume within 24hrs and not recommended re-freeze frozen milk.

4mummy

I'm also in a dilemma about whether to continue expressing at work. Just returned to work 2 days ago after ML and gosh, I'm finding it so hard to make time to go and express! Not just that - it's also awkward to explain to colleagues that you need to excuse yourself to go to the nursing room, especially to male colleagues. Lunchtime is the only time I can do it, and even so, I feel quite embarrassed having to tell colleagues I can't join them for makan because I have to rush back in time to pump. Sigh!

After so much effort and struggling for the past few months to keep up my low supply, now that I have to give it up, really feeling very heartpain! :(
For my previous one, I pumped only during lunch & yes, it's quite rushing - totally agree. I didn't prep b4hand & son mostly on formula. I kept on pumping at lunch & let him latch on once I'm home - till he was 8 mths, which by then my supply dipped & I stopped.
Last week, I just returned to work after maternity leave. This time, I prep better than before. Bought ice-packs, cooler bags, storage containers for my pump accessories etc from Daiso. Keep stock of breast milk in fridge before work starts.
Back at work, I am grateful that one of my bosses actually recommended me to pump twice at work. She let me excuse myself to pump the 2nd time.
Even though pai-seh :shyxxx: to inform colleagues where I'm going (males especially), my supervisor told me that it's a natural thing & we're all adults, so I ended up telling & they understand.
So for now, must tahan & eat lunch while pumping. All in all, it's worth it! :) :wong19:

floramay

I'm still expressing BM after i've came back to work. As my girl doesn't latch, i die die mus express for her.

Thank God that my office does provide nursing room with sterilizer & water point.

I think the suggestion of using the meeting room & nursing cover is do-able... that's the 2nd best way ba... =)

hi,

I am returning to work in a month's time. Right now I am pumping every 3-4 hourly. I think when I am back to work, I can only pump twice everyday the most. I would like to ask mummies out there, how to 'reduce' from 6 pumps to 2 pumps per day? I worry that my supply will dip. Really hope my boy can drink bm for as long as possible. Kind mummies please share. Thanx!

pinkapple

... I would like to ask mummies out there, how to 'reduce' from 6 pumps to 2 pumps per day? I worry that my supply will dip. Really hope my boy can drink bm for as long as possible. Kind mummies please share. Thanx!
reduce supply is one thing. the other thing u should watch out for is blocked ducts and engorgement.
Dont' wear wired bras for a start.

start lengthening the interval between expressing now. but the time u go back to work, baby will be starting solids soon so should be ok.