recommendation for a non-stick pan

tinkerball

bought this flat based frying pan of tefal brand some time back. i figure out since its of reputable brand nothing could go wrong. a few months after usage the base coat started to wear off and as a result whever i fry something my food would be partially stuck on the area where the coating came off. been washing it with soft sponge and never used the scrub at all so how can the coating came off? anyone can actually recommend a good brand which can last longer than a few months? im sick of having food stuck on my pan.

DodoTan

Best non-stick pan I ever used is the green pan. It is eco-friendly as it uses thermolon instead of teflon. thermolon is a ceramic-based non-stick technology while teflon is a plastic-based non-stick technology. The green pan is heavy and costs quite a bit, but is worth every penny. It even saves gas as the pan heats up much faster and maintains a much higher temperature than usual cooking pans. My hubby loves it too. Says my food tastes better when I cook with that pan.
Can get at taka. But really must be prepared to invest. And remember to cook with wooden or plastic ladel or spatular, not metal ones.
Green Pan : the original

LoVeS

bought this flat based frying pan of tefal brand some time back. i figure out since its of reputable brand nothing could go wrong. a few months after usage the base coat started to wear off and as a result whever i fry something my food would be partially stuck on the area where the coating came off. been washing it with soft sponge and never used the scrub at all so how can the coating came off? anyone can actually recommend a good brand which can last longer than a few months? im sick of having food stuck on my pan.
wah after reading tis i really wonder should i buy non stick pan or nt~ I really like the idea of non stick pan as it wont stick onto the pan for my foods but if really the case of the base coat coming off then i dun tink i wanna get 1~ Is there any non stick pan tat the base coat wont come off??

diymummy

I've been using Meyer for a while now. Bought from the bigger NTUCs and Giant.

It's cheap but it also uses teflon. I use a plastic spetular and after dishing food out, I will immediately soak the pan with water. I find that when I don't do that immediately after cooking, food tends to harden onto the pan and I end up using more strength to get the food off which scratches the pan.

LoVeS

I've been using Meyer for a while now. Bought from the bigger NTUCs and Giant.

It's cheap but it also uses teflon. I use a plastic spetular and after dishing food out, I will immediately soak the pan with water. I find that when I dont't do that immediately after cooking, food tends to harden onto the pan and I end up using more strength to get the food off which scratches the pan.
if tats the case why ppl still buy non stick pan?? Paiseh to ask tis kind of qns but i personally nv use b4 so i really wonder is non stick pan really gd when it cost so much more ~

diymummy

if tats the case why ppl still buy non stick pan?? Paiseh to ask tis kind of qns but i personally never use before so i really wonder is non stick pan really good when it cost so much more ~
When cooking the food won't stick. I can easily slide off what I am cooking onto a plate. But if I don't rinse the sauce or whatever off, it kinda hardens? It can still wash off easily but just need that little bit more strength. But sometimes that's enough to damage the pan.

Teflon, no matter how good is an added layer on top of the metal pan. It will wear off with time from washing and wear and tear. I've used Tefal and the sorts but with after awhile I didn't see the point in investing in such a good one since all uses teflon which comes off after frequent use.

I guess non-stick is just easy. No need to scrub or what..

allycat

I'm actually very sick of changing the pan as well. My mum said is the user's fault (meaning my maid), not the pan. Both my mum and I can get the same pan together, mine will be KO after a few months but hers is still as good as new :eek:11:

Dodo_Tan - how much does your green pan cost?

CanCanMum

recently i got a nonstick pan from Meyer, its a Non-Stick Teflon Pro Platinum Interior, i like it coz its heavy base, easier to do chinese cooking. I bought the induction one. SO far so good.

its selling at $62 at OG.

hubby is the one doing most of the cooking, coz i really dislike having to wash the chinese wok everytime after fryin haha, so i use non-stick pan kekekkee, easier to wash.

from wad i noe last time when i used tefal nonstick pan, i dunn really use high heat, always medium to low heat, coz the food oso gets cooked quite fast for nonstick pans.

DodoTan

I'm actually very sick of changing the pan as well. My mum said is the user's fault (meaning my maid), not the pan. Both my mum and I can get the same pan together, mine will be KO after a few months but hers is still as good as new :eek:11:

Dodo_Tan - how much does your green pan cost?
Depending on which size you choose, can be 3figure. I can't quite remember. But it's not hard to wash. Even if the foodstuff or sauce hardens, just soak it in water for a while and they'll all come off. I'm very happy with the pans so far.

stonston

I use this brand called Supor. Cheap & good. Bought my first set 4 years ago for our previous place. Still using it today :) Comes with glass lid which is very helpful.
Just bought my 2nd set over the weekend cos felt that need to change to a bigger one since I'm cooking larger portions now :)

allycat

I use this brand called Supor. Cheap & good. Bought my first set 4 years ago for our previous place. Still using it today :) Comes with glass lid which is very helpful.
Just bought my 2nd set over the weekend cos felt that need to change to a bigger one since I'm cooking larger portions now :)
Saw that brand at Giant over the weekend, but didnt take notice of the price. Will check it out again. Thanks!

camom

Actually you can get the same non stick effect with well seasoned and maintained wok. I've been using a cask iron wok for a long time and my food doesn't stick, incl frying fish n tofu.

When using, the trick is to heat the pan till smoking hot, add oil then add food. Of course, you must maintain the pan and season it well and regularly.

sandyteo

Actually you can get the same non stick effect with well seasoned and maintained wok. I've been using a cask iron wok for a long time and my food doesn't stick, incl frying fish n tofu.

When using, the trick is to heat the pan till smoking hot, add oil then add food. Of course, you must maintain the pan and season it well and regularly.
That's right! I use a SuperB anondised pan (from Tangs). It is not non-stick, but when sufficiently heated, food will not stick.

I also use Berndes pans. They are very good and the heavy duty bottom heats up quickly. Easy to wash and durable too.