Refuse to drink from bottle

xtneqt

Hi Mummies,

My baby refused the bottle at different stages too. First at 2months, then recently at 7months. At 2 months we warmed the milk a bit and she started taking the bottle.
This time around at 7months, it was a bit harder. She would only take from a cup. And I couldnt find the Medela Feeding Cup, so we used a small cup, but she could drink as much as she would have if taking the bottle. I researched and read about "reverse cycling". More than the feeding, it;s the closeness with the mum that baby is looking for. This explains my baby's behavior as she could only nurse from me at night. Gladly, she's starting to take the bottle a few times a day now. It's a phase but we have to keep trying, yet not force our babies to take the bottle.
Every baby is different and there's no one single solution to this. Hope every mum out there finds what works out for them.

Mummy to Baby V

Hi Mummies,

My baby refused the bottle at different stages too. First at 2months, then recently at 7months. At 2 months we warmed the milk a bit and she started taking the bottle.
This time around at 7months, it was a bit harder. She would only take from a cup. And I couldnt find the Medela Feeding Cup, so we used a small cup, but she could drink as much as she would have if taking the bottle. I researched and read about "reverse cycling". More than the feeding, it;s the closeness with the mum that baby is looking for. This explains my baby's behavior as she could only nurse from me at night. Gladly, she's starting to take the bottle a few times a day now. It's a phase but we have to keep trying, yet not force our babies to take the bottle.
Every baby is different and there's no one single solution to this. Hope every mum out there finds what works out for them.
Since your baby is already 7 months, you may try the Combi Step 4 Mug, which is designed for 8 months onwards. My boy has been using it until now (16 months). It is reviewed here.

I like that it has handles and has a cover to slow down the flow for babies.

DodoTan

Sigh... finally found your people who have the same problem as me. I initially intended to tbf my little girl but she had rather high jaundice levels and I was told it was prob cos she lost too much weight by day 4. So during 1st mth she was on mixed feeding and used avent bottle very often. After that I went back to tbf and she had not used the bottle for 1 whole month. Now that my supply is good, I want to get her on the bottled ebm so that when I go back to work, my mom can look after her. But she refuse to take it. Will cry till she puke and then cry somemore. I tried avent, then tollyjoy, then tommytippee. No luck. I tried cup feeding she also don't want. I tried frozen ebm, chilled ebm, fresh ebm, even formula. No luck. My hubby tried to give also no use. Always the same result: cry till puke. :embarrassed: Anyone else with ideas?

camom

Sigh... finally found your people who have the same problem as me. I initially intended to tbf my little girl but she had rather high jaundice levels and I was told it was prob cos she lost too much weight by day 4. So during 1st month she was on mixed feeding and used avent bottle very often. After that I went back to tbf and she had not used the bottle for 1 whole month. Now that my supply is good, I want to get her on the bottled ebm so that when I go back to work, my mom can look after her. But she refuse to take it. Will cry till she puke and then cry somemore. I tried avent, then tollyjoy, then tommytippee. No luck. I tried cup feeding she also dont't want. I tried frozen ebm, chilled ebm, fresh ebm, even formula. No luck. My hubby tried to give also no use. Always the same result: cry till puke. :embarrassed: Anyone else with ideas?
I syringe & spoon feed til he cld go on cup feeds, no choice.

camom

camom, how old is your baby? can take spoon feed already?
He is 22 mths old now. We started spoon feeds when he was ard 3 mths. If I didn't remember wrongly, my friend who delivered her bb in Mt A also requested the nursery nurses to feed her newborn with spoon whenever she has insufficient colostrum then. Mine was spoonfed/syringefed till 5 mths +, he took to cup then.

xtneqt

Sigh... finally found your people who have the same problem as me. I initially intended to tbf my little girl but she had rather high jaundice levels and I was told it was prob cos she lost too much weight by day 4. So during 1st month she was on mixed feeding and used avent bottle very often. After that I went back to tbf and she had not used the bottle for 1 whole month. Now that my supply is good, I want to get her on the bottled ebm so that when I go back to work, my mom can look after her. But she refuse to take it. Will cry till she puke and then cry somemore. I tried avent, then tollyjoy, then tommytippee. No luck. I tried cup feeding she also dont't want. I tried frozen ebm, chilled ebm, fresh ebm, even formula. No luck. My hubby tried to give also no use. Always the same result: cry till puke. :embarrassed: Anyone else with ideas?
Have you tried NUK latex nipples? my friend tried this on her baby and he took it. Ive read some mothers use the Breastflow bottle too. Anyway for my daughter Ive tried all and still would take. Eventually, she went back to Avent bottle with the #3 teats.
A lactation consultant told me to just keep on offering the bottle, try to distract the baby and not force her to take the bottle, make it appear as a pleasant experience. Have you tried gong out of the house when your hubby or mother offer the bottle?
hang in there.

xtneqt

Since your baby is already 7 months, you may try the Combi Step 4 Mug, which is designed for 8 months onwards. My boy has been using it until now (16 months). It is reviewed here.

I like that it has handles and has a cover to slow down the flow for babies.
thanks! I will check this out. I have tried the Avent magic cup that also has a valve to slow down the flow, but baby just wants to bite the spout. Also tried the Pigeon MagMag straw cup, but it's hit or miss for her to be able to take the straw. Now she is back to Avent bottles.

bibiluvr

Have you tried NUK latex nipples? my friend tried this on her baby and he took it. Ive read some mothers use the Breastflow bottle too. Anyway for my daughter Ive tried all and still would take. Eventually, she went back to Avent bottle with the #3 teats.
A lactation consultant told me to just keep on offering the bottle, try to distract the baby and not force her to take the bottle, make it appear as a pleasant experience. Have you tried gong out of the house when your hubby or mother offer the bottle?
hang in there.

hi,
I've tried the nuk latex teat but now she doesn't wan it at all too.. last sunday, i've put ebm in her sippy cup and she drank a little.. i was so happy but when i tried again on monday, she refused again.. guess it was something new to her... sigh... i've two more months to train her...oh no...

Mummy to Baby V

thanks! I will check this out. I have tried the Avent magic cup that also has a valve to slow down the flow, but baby just wants to bite the spout. Also tried the Pigeon MagMag straw cup, but it's hit or miss for her to be able to take the straw. Now she is back to Avent bottles.
AVENT cup has a soft spout, which still needs sucking. My boy rejected that, only wanted to bite it. No luck with straws until now, 16 months old. The Combi Mug Step 4 is an open cup. After removing the cover that slows the flow, it becomes a regular cup.

soapsoap

my baby have being refusing bottle, have tred many many bottle but she still refuse to drink from bottle, will be going back to work soon can someone help me

bibiluvr

my baby have being refusing bottle, have tred many many bottle but she still refuse to drink from bottle, will be going back to work soon can someone help me
hey dear, how old is ur bb now? me too.. i'm going back to work in september.. right now, i'm trying to feed her using the sippy cup but she only takes one or two mouthfuls... argh!!! but she started on solids so my mum was saying if really cannot, give her cereal or porridge when i not ard.. (i've reduced my workload to half load so that i can spend more time with her and bf longer)

But, my mil was saying can start on formula... so if i'm not ard, train her to take formula then when i'm home, then latch on.. but i'm not willing to do that coz i wan to bf her exclusively for as long as i can.. My fridge is filled with ebm some more...

soapsoap

hey dear, how old is your baby now? me too.. i'm going back to work in september.. right now, i'm trying to feed her using the sippy cup but she only takes one or two mouthfuls... argh!!! but she started on solids so my mum was saying if really cannot, give her cereal or porridge when i not around.. (i've reduced my workload to half load so that i can spend more time with her and bf longer)

But, my mother in law was saying can start on formula... so if i'm not around, train her to take formula then when i'm home, then latch on.. but i'm not willing to do that coz i want to bf her exclusively for as long as i can.. My fridge is filled with ebm some more...

my baby is 11 week now, will be going back to work mid aug, really worry for her cos cannot start semi soild food yet, and she don wan to drink from bottle at all, my mum is now trying to coax her to drink from bottle

Mummy to Baby V

Mummy bibiluvr & soapsoap: Quite a number of suggestions have been shared in the earlier part of this thread. Even for newborns, may try feeding through small open cup, spoon or syringe (e.g. medicine feeder).

The cup we used is reviewed at Medela Disposable Baby Cup Feeder |
My friend used a small medicine feeding cup.

DodoTan

my girl has the same prob. She won't take from bottle or cup or syringe or spoon feed. She will rather just keep crying until I come back. She cried for over an hour today when I left her at my mother's place. sigh...

sg81hani

I've finally found this link. My daughter still doesn't want the bottle as of today. Probably will try using the syringe option.

DodoTan

I think my girl teething now, so she'll chew on the bottle teat, but it's not exactly drinking... I resorted to squeezing the milk into her mouth. hahaha... :p