Reject my breast

Sheila

I need help.. My baby boy doesn't want Breastmilk any more... He's only 1.5 months... Is it because i used perfume and he reject it.. I want to BF him till he's 6 months and so.. But now he stop.. Feel very sad..:tno:

holeyman1

try not using any perfume at all strip yourself of all types of artificial smells even shower foams. My wife uses cetaphil.
To your child, the artificial smell could be overwhelming.

Ting

yeah remove your perfume.
its the natural smell from your body that your baby likes.
they go more by scent rather than sight for their age now.

Sheila

It's been 3 days he never like my breast.. I scared my milk will dry.. Is there any solution to make more milk???

Sheila

Thx.. But i have not BF my son for 4 or 5 days... I scared the milk will dried up.. Is there any solution to make the milk flow again???

ling.er

Thx.. But i have not BF my son for 4 or 5 days... I scared the milk will dried up.. Is there any solution to make the milk flow again???

Why nt u pump out the milk & feed ur baby ?? After few day then u try BF again & see hw it go ..

cmeilim

don't your breasts feel engorged if you have not bf your baby for a few days and also don't seem to have pumped out the milk? pl express your milk out every few hours to maintain supply. you can do manual expression by hand if u don't have a manual or electric pump. just google for the videos.

some babies are more sensitive to smell and taste. do watch your diet as well, esp if you have changed or added something new to your diet in the past few days.

Actually I got the same problem as well..baby reject BF so end up pumping the milk... but seems that my milk does not increase with pumping (is it due to baby not sucking)? Does anyone here got same problem? Or it's something I doing wrong? Pump 15 mins each side..correct mah.... but been one month ..supply still not increased?? :wong29:

Phoebii Cheng

You could try getting some supplements to increase your milk supply? and drink lots of water everyday, you can also try the fish soup with green papaya....

cmeilim

Actually I got the same problem as well..baby reject BF so end up pumping the milk... but seems that my milk does not increase with pumping (is it due to baby not sucking)? Does anyone here got same problem? Or it's something I doing wrong? Pump 15 mins each side..correct mah.... but been one month ..supply still not increased?? :wong29:

firstly, baby may 'appear' to be rejecting breastmilk, but actually it isn't. there is probably nothing wrong with your breastmilk. otherwise even if if is EBM, the baby also won't wanna drink.

secondly, baby may 'appear' to be rejecting the breast, but actually it may be because the latch is not right, and so it is not able to get the maximum flow of milk from the breast. when milkflow gets too slow, newborns will tend to fall asleep at the breast easily, while slightly older babies will show their frustration by 'rejecting' the breast.

the first and foremost thing to check and get it right to sustain breastfeeding for a longer time is the correct latch. are baby's lips flared out and covering most of your aureola such that your nipple is far inside his/her mouth? are hi/her ears and jaws jiggling/moving as he/she suckles, so it's not just the cheeks moving? can u hear the long slurrrrp sound as baby sucks in mouthfuls of breastmilk?

secondly, to help speed up milkflow, use one hand to press and squeeze your breasts rhythmically as you breastfeed your baby. this is called breast compression.

it's tougher and takes longer time to increase breastmilk via exclusive pumping than latching on demand, because baby's suction is stronger than any pump in the world. my advice would be for you to go back to latching on your baby and trying to correct your latch again. consult an LC to help you correct the latch while you are bfg your baby. then u can also drink some nursing tea or supplements to help you increase your breastmilk supply further eso if you are going back to work soon.

hope the above is helpful. =>

Sheila

Why not you pump out the milk & feed your baby ?? After few day then you try BF again & see hw it go ..

I try to pump but the milk flow very little.. Not even 10ml.. Haiyo.. i really dunno wat to do.. but it not even engorged...

annie

so many days never feed n not even engorge?? were u purely breastfeeding him before this? ive been feeding my girl for 18mths n even if i didnt feed her overnight( she sleeps through the night n drink only in the early morning), i got terrible engorgement even now though she has slept through since 5mths old!

btw, my breast dosent react to pumping too. i can only get about 20ml after pumping for 30mins! cant get any let down even.. so i give up pumping.. always direct latch

allycat

same here, if i miss a feed and am only able to feed/pump 5-6 hrs later, my breasts feel as if they are exploding

Sheila

Yest nite manage to let my baby boy to Breast feed.. He suck well, didn't noe there still milk.. he suck for nearly half an hour.. He only accept my left breast, my right breast he always reject.. My breast is quite big (42D).. Doesn't mean big breast got alot milk rite??? Hehehehe

Sheila

so many days never feed n not even engorge?? were you purely breastfeeding him before this? ive been feeding my girl for 18mths n even if i didnt feed her overnight( she sleeps through the night n drink only in the early morning), i got terrible engorgement even now though she has slept through since 5mths old!

btw, my breast dosent react to pumping too. i can only get about 20ml after pumping for 30mins! cant get any let down even.. so i give up pumping.. always direct latch

I mix BF and formula.. When he was newborn, used to give BF 4 to 6 times a days... Now, not so often.. sometime 1 time a day.. Feel sad though.. Becoz when u BF, u can sense the mother feeling..

cmeilim

Yest nite manage to let my baby boy to Breast feed.. He suck well, didn't know there still milk.. he suck for nearly half an hour.. He only accept my left breast, my right breast he always reject.. My breast is quite big (42D).. Doesn't mean big breast got alot milk rite??? Hehehehe
could be becos somehow he doesn't get the latch correct on your right side - you will have to look into the latch and your positioning and help baby adjust. the milkflow on our two breasts can also be unequal, so if your right side is slower than the left, then baby could be 'rejecting' it cos of this. use breast compression method and squeeze your right breast rhythmically as your pump.

but if u ask me, unless baby is not with me, all other times i always choose to latch on because latching on is the most effective way of clearing the breasts, satisfying a hungry baby and increasing milk supply. =D

annie

yes cmeilim mummy is right. i guess u seldom breastfeed thus milk supply going low. if u want to build up again the just let him latch on as often as possible.. when my girl was newborn, she pratically latch on every 2hrs day or night thus it means a total of 12 milk feed a day! even now im her free milk machine. she comes anytime. sometimes whole day on boobs...

n yes size of breast dosent matter.