SAHM- how much husband's income is enough?

apollo

should show my hubby this... his income is 5 digits but he still dont't let me be a stay at home mum...
it depends, it ur family is high maintanence, perharps 5 digits is not really enough =)

would would want to a stay at home mum??? to some pple they could get bored to death............first 3-4 days is like a well deserved rest! after 1-2 weeks you may be itching to go back to work
hmm ya sometimes might be abit bored but the time passes very fast for me. morning wake up feed ds, aft awhile he nap, wake up i cook for him play awhile nap again, aft he wake up i cook dinner, hubby comes back, eat dinner etc and one day gone liaoo. haha..

i feel tt is up to individual. some ppl cannot stay at hm one, even hubby is earning more than enough they also hav to go wk if not they will feel bored at hm. while some others (me), hubby earning slightly more than enough only but prefer to stay at hm to look af bb on thier own. both have pros n cons =)

jojoki

my hubs earns les than 2k, sitll have to pay alimony of 300 a month. I am sahm with one toddler. Can survive but really really tight! Eat macs also must think twice!

But I am LOVING it!!! Nothin beats being able to be with my baby, watch her grow, nurture her, spending quality TIME with her without interruptions or stress/worries.

I personally don't mind, I can always enjoy a better lifestyle when I go back to work in future. But I dont want to miss her first few years, which I believe is sooo important.

But of course, not all mommies enjoy being a sahm! But I do, there's soo much to do with her everyday!

jasobias

agree with jojoki
depends on ur priorities..hell i know pple who survive on 1k a month too!!
amazing pple n families out there tht we can all learn fr..sometimes its easy to get so caught up in this materialistic world..its little pleasures tht sometimes keep pple going

swee

would would want to a stay at home mum??? to some pple they could get bored to death............first 3-4 days is like a well deserved rest! after 1-2 weeks you may be itching to go back to work
I got a 2 year old girl who is very active and another one coming out in august... don't think I will be bored... plus I have my online store with regular customers... I would love to stay at home

it depends, it your family is high maintanence, perharps 5 digits is not really enough =)
my family not high maintanence at all... think 2k can settle all expenses...

Renzie

It depends on your lifestyle and how much you spend every month.

Hubby earns less than 5K, and with an extra mouth to feed and upcoming flat to pay for, need to tighten our belts quite abit. With a baby around, no chance/time to go for movies or window shopping as well, thus cut down on quite a number of luxuries this way. More home cooked food and just relaxing at home.

To see her grow and change so much every single month is something so precious to me, that I would never want to change anything. I don't want to go home at the end of the day and find out that she had given her first smile to someone else. lol.

meiteoh

I'm one of those few women who have experienced both sides of the coin and until today, I still prefer to be a SAHM - no pressure from crappy boss or colleagues, and well, like the others have said, just seeing my daughter grow up before my eyes is a good enough reward.

Unfortunately for a good many of us, we don't have the luxury of "choice" so we make do with what we have. It all depends on you and your hubby, and what is important for you as a family unit.

apollo

I'm one of those few women who have experienced both sides of the coin and until today, I still prefer to be a stay at home mum - no pressure from crappy boss or colleagues, and well, like the others have said, just seeing my daughter grow up before my eyes is a good enough reward.

Unfortunately for a good many of us, we dont't have the luxury of "choice" so we make do with what we have. It all depends on you and your hubby, and what is important for you as a family unit.
i agree with u meiteoh! if i were to choose again, i will still choose to be a SAHM. i rather cut down on my expenses etc and acc my boy for at least these 2 yrs =)

i agree with you meiteoh! if i were to choose again, i will still choose to be a stay at home mum. i rather cut down on my expenses etc and acc my boy for at least these 2 yrs =)
do you mean only for these 2 yrs? how about after that? back to work? For me........... i wanna go back to work.................but when im back to work i'll probably wanna go back to be a SAHM again.
its just like the classical dilemma of when your a kid, how u wish u can faster grow up, work and earn $ , then when u grow up, u wish u were still a kid in school.............. :001_302:

apollo

do you mean only for these 2 yrs? how about after that? back to work? For me........... i wanna go back to work.................but when im back to work i'll probably wanna go back to be a stay at home mum again.
its just like the classical dilemma of when your a kid, how you wish you can faster grow up, work and earn $ , then when you grow up, you wish you were still a kid in school.............. :001_302:
i meant AT LEAST! if can of cos i hope to stay at hm with my kids until they are older but who noes what will happen 2 yrs later?

Ting

do you mean only for these 2 yrs? how about after that? back to work? For me........... i wanna go back to work.................but when im back to work i'll probably wanna go back to be a stay at home mum again.
its just like the classical dilemma of when your a kid, how you wish you can faster grow up, work and earn $ , then when you grow up, you wish you were still a kid in school.............. :001_302:
weird, maybe i dun get u, but i find it so contradicting.
or maybe u still cant decide what u want? :)
for me, ive been a SAHM n now a FTWM.
if possible, i would love to go back in being a SAHM for the first 2 yrs if i hv my #2.
after tt, its back to work for me.
cos, though i love the idea of being a SAHM, like meiteoh mentioned, no crappy bosses n colliqs etc, but i know my character, i cant be a SAHM too long. not cos i will be bored, how can anyone be bored looking after their baby? dont u know how entertaining it is to look after a baby? too busy to be bored alr.
but my thinking is like that, i hv to work. it gives me a sense of achievement n security.
becos, in life, we cant hv the best of both worlds (perhaps u could if u work from home) most of the time, so we just hv to make the best out of it n choose which we prefer.

JMHO. :)

weird, maybe i dont get you, but i find it so contradicting.
or maybe you still cant decide what you want? :)
JMHO. :)
eerrrmmm im just saying dat being a SAHM may seem like a 'LUXURY' for other working ladies.................but its not just a bed of roses...........

Ting

eerrrmmm im just saying dat being a stay at home mum may seem like a 'LUXURY' for other working ladies.................but its not just a bed of roses...........
perhaps only those who doesnt hv kids yet, thus would think being a SAHM is a "luxury", well, FTWM n SAHMs r the same, we make an effort to give our kids the best, financially n emotionally. :)

Mummy to Baby V

I love looking after and educating children, so being an SAHM keeps me happy. To keep my mind active, I started a small biz and work from home when child takes his naps. When the kid(s) go to school in future, this would be a place to channel my energy.

I think it is important for SAHMs to plan for their own future emotional and financial needs. Otherwise, we could face an empty nest. Moreover, men have lower life expectancy than women, so ensuring enough money in the pocket is critical.

jojoki

I love looking after and educating children, so being an stay at home mum keeps me happy. To keep my mind active, I started a small biz and work from home when child takes his naps. When the kid(s) go to school in future, this would be a place to channel my energy.

I think it is important for SAHMs to plan for their own future emotional and financial needs. Otherwise, we could face an empty nest. Moreover, men have lower life expectancy than women, so ensuring enough money in the pocket is critical.
same her I love nurturing children too... in fact I love all babies, toddler n kids! They are sooo FUN to be with!

angelwendy

eerrrmmm im just saying dat being a stay at home mum may seem like a 'LUXURY' for other working ladies.................but its not just a bed of roses...........
Hmm... stay home mum is actually not a Luxury... but will still enjoy taking care of our kids... everyone got their tiredness i feel.. working can be stressful & tired... stay home is a 24/7 job i feel.. always on stand by mode... so depends on how we r going to look at it...

But i feel that... about how much ur husband is earning also depend on how we spend the money.. if choose to stay home... have to save here & there just to get by... but ur kids childhood has only ones in a lifetime.. if for working.. u can always go & find a job after ur kids is older...

In life there is always a Good & bad on everything.. so depends on how we think & look at it...:001_302: Cheers

meiteoh

I used to tell my hubby that as a SAHM, I don't get annual leave, medical leave...heck la, I can't even shower, pee or poo in peace. That is one thing people always forget when they say that SAHMs are tai-tais. Please. The only SAHMs who are tai-tais are those who are loaded.

I'm hoping that in the near future, I'll be able to work from home, be it for a company or my own business. *keeps fingers crossed*

apollo

Hmm... stay home mum is actually not a Luxury... but will still enjoy taking care of our kids... everyone got their tiredness i feel.. working can be stressful & tired... stay home is a 24/7 job i feel.. always on stand by mode... so depends on how we r going to look at it...

But i feel that... about how much your husband is earning also depend on how we spend the money.. if choose to stay home... have to save here & there just to get by... but your kids childhood has only ones in a lifetime.. if for working.. you can always go & find a job after your kids is older...

In life there is always a Good & bad on everything.. so depends on how we think & look at it...:001_302: Cheers
I used to tell my hubby that as a stay at home mum, I dont't get annual leave, medical leave...heck , I can't even shower, pee or poo in peace. That is one thing people always forget when they say that SAHMs are tai-tais. Please. The only SAHMs who are tai-tais are those who are loaded.

I'm hoping that in the near future, I'll be able to work from home, be it for a company or my own business. *keeps fingers crossed*
totally agree with the both of u! =)

angel_audrey

my hubs earns les than 2k, sitll have to pay alimony of 300 a month. I am stay at home mum with one toddler. Can survive but really really tight! Eat macs also must think twice!

But I am LOVING it!!! Nothin beats being able to be with my baby, watch her grow, nurture her, spending quality TIME with her without interruptions or stress/worries.

I personally dont't mind, I can always enjoy a better lifestyle when I go back to work in future. But I dont want to miss her first few years, which I believe is sooo important.

But of course, not all mommies enjoy being a stay at home mum! But I do, there's soo much to do with her everyday!

I totally agree! I love being stay home mom! the time flies so fast... it depends on how you do the chores or play with your baby. We don't have a maid, i do all the chores-going to market, cook, do laundry except for ironing-my dear hubby do that-hahaha... i even manage to play with my 8month old baby... again, it depends on the lifestyle of each family... once a month we eat outside just to reward ourselves-hehehe... we buy things that we need not what we want...:Dancing_tongue: