Seat in MRT

camom

Good idea and I second it!
should give up the seat to the needy !
Just providing another train of thought...

How are they going to enforce that? If I am sick, do I need to wave my mc all around to prove that I need the seat?

It all boils down to basic courtesy la... we can't expect the govt to fine this and fine that, a bit too unrealistic.. don't hantam me ok!

CanCanMum

Just providing another train of thought...

How are they going to enforce that? If I am sick, do I need to wave my mc all around to prove that I need the seat?

It all boils down to basic courtesy ... we can't expect the govt to fine this and fine that, a bit too unrealistic.. dont't hantam me ok!
*HAMTAM~~~*

lolssss

normally if something "serious" happens den pple will start to do something~~~~

Ting

i think if u fine ppl, no very viable.
sure got ppl to complain.
if u r 4-5 mths preggers but nt obvious then how???
for me, tt time i preggers abt 4-5 mths only tiny bump.. arnd 7 mths then my tummy big enuf to see..

Oppsgal

For me very lucky. That time always got seats given to me by people. Must say 'thank you' when one give up their seat for you. Heard some cases, pregnant people never say thank you. Very rude.

For me very lucky. That time always got seats given to me by people. Must say 'thank you' when one give up their seat for you. Heard some cases, pregnant people never say thank you. Very rude.

Agree with that. Some just take the seat and even stare. Its like she is comment that you should have given up the seat the moment you see me and not when I walk over to you.

Like what I heard on the radio the other day. They were saying that the pregnant women in Indonesia are given a special badge/pin when they see the doc to confirm their pregnancy.

Each time they board the train or bus, people see them with the badge/pin thing, they will auto give up the seats to them. Its kinda useful for preggy women who has small bumps or their bumps are not that obvious yet.

:Dancing_wub:

temari

Agree with that. Some just take the seat and even stare. Its like she is comment that you should have given up the seat the moment you see me and not when I walk over to you.

Like what I heard on the radio the other day. They were saying that the pregnant women in Indonesia are given a special badge/pin when they see the doc to confirm their pregnancy.

Each time they board the train or bus, people see them with the badge/pin thing, they will auto give up the seats to them. Its kinda useful for preggy women who has small bumps or their bumps are not that obvious yet.

:Dancing_wub:
this is good also. for me plp only giv up seats to me when im 5months plus cos my tummy is not big.

still not many plp would give up "priority seats" to us preg women.even when im standing infront of the seat the whole row of plp will pretend to sleep.my leg feel shaky throughout the journey to work.

got one time got a girl sitting in priority seat and only awakes when im gg to alight.she saw me then ask me want the seat nt.i was lik --, i gg to alight next stop lo..i say no.

share with u my condition, i'm having spotting during early pregnancy about 6 weeks then, i took mc for many days and subsequently my husband fetch me to work untill my check up on 10 weeks when doctor said my baby is ok. after than my husband did not fetch me any more cos i'm working at centre ,my husband working at tuas, we live at west. If he were to fetch me i have to wake up at 6 and reach office 630. my working hr is 830 to 6pm... so i decided since gynae said ok then i will take public transprot to work n at the same time let my husband has more rest also cos he work late very often.

So whent taking public transport i will try to sit because i wan to avoid long standing (taking cab everyday to work is too expensive for me). so there is once i sit on priority seat (i'm 11 weeks tummy not shown up yet somemore i wear babydoll top) then this pregnant lady also stand in front me with a bigger tummy (about 6 to 7 month pregy?) i din giv up my seat to her cos i also need the seat . but to others ppl on the train, i'm consider as an inconsiderate comuters cos i occupy the priority seat n i doesn't look like pregnant. mayb some of u think i should giv up my seat to cos her tummy is bigger but to me i dun cos I hav spotting b4 so i will try every chance to sit if there is a place to sit even waiting bus in the bustop.

I mean some time we dun judge the person whether he/she should giv up the seat by the look. he/she could have some underlying problems which we dunno. I mean just my thought .

ccalsyh

Dear misstheblue, I can understand your point of view. However, I think most of the people here are just saying a lot of people " such as youngsters or young guys") who obviously are fine and well, but totally ignore the need for pregnant ladies.... We are not saying" yeah, coz I am pregnant , I am more important than you" , It's about ampanthy!! What happen to people's manner nowadays?! I used to live in HK and I am used to that people don't give seats to you as most of HK ppl are quite self-centered. When I was in Taiwan, people don't really seat on priority seat unless there's no one needs the seat and there's no other seats available. I always got people given seats to me in Taipei. I thought Singapore will be more civilized , but sadly, I was let down. So far, only one guy had ever given me the seat. One time I was in the train during rush hour and so many of them just pretend they don't see you. One young couple who were also standing saw me standing with belly stuck out and they seems to be rather upset and embarassed that seeing that none of their fellow singaporeans would give seat to a pregnant lady... It's just sad that nowadays, people don't seem to care about common courtesy anymore.... Very sad....

Dear misstheblue, I can understand your point of view. However, I think most of the people here are just saying a lot of people " such as youngsters or young guys") who obviously are fine and well, but totally ignore the need for pregnant ladies.... We are not saying" yeah, coz I am pregnant , I am more important than you" , It's about ampanthy!! What happen to people's manner nowadays?! I used to live in HK and I am used to that people dont't give seats to you as most of HK ppl are quite self-centered. When I was in Taiwan, people dont't really seat on priority seat unless there's no one needs the seat and there's no other seats available. I always got people given seats to me in Taipei. I thought Singapore will be more civilized , but sadly, I was let down. So far, only one guy had ever given me the seat. One time I was in the train during rush hour and so many of them just pretend they dont't see you. One young couple who were also standing saw me standing with belly stuck out and they seems to be rather upset and embarassed that seeing that none of their fellow singaporeans would give seat to a pregnant lady... It's just sad that nowadays, people dont't seem to care about common courtesy anymore.... Very sad....
ya...i agree with u... nowadays the psp are more important to the youngster . i have nvr encounter ppl giv up their seat for me too... all fall asleep when i stand in front them... haha...

sighz... maybe there should be a ruling that says that "If you want to sleep or play game, please don't sit in the Priority Seat!"
If you want to sit in Priority Seat then please stay awake and see if there's anyone else who is more needy than you, and give up your seat if necessary.
:wong29:

impulse41

I always go up to the piority seat ppl and ask them for the seat nicely, eg: "Excuse me, I'm pregnant, can i have the seat?" So far, nobody reject me. My tummy is showing but i don't think i look very obvious. But all my colleagues and friends, it's quite obvious that i'm pregnant. If i keep my mouth shut, nobody will give me the seat, then i feel very tired and my legs are shaky.

Maybe, mummies can try asking for the seat. Now i'm waiting to see whether anybody will reject me and tell me. " No, i don't want to give you the seat." haha That will be the ultimate rejection....

If you are not feeling well or pregnant and happen to sit in the piority seat, maybe you just tell the mummy waiting for you to give up the seat that you are also pregnant and try and speak to the person beside you to see whether he/she can give up the seat.

even thot i'm pregnant and sitting down. Many a times, i see other pregnant ladies, i will ask the person beside me to give up the seat. I can't give it up but i can ask others to give seat to the pregnant ladies cas they definately need it more than a young man/aunties or children(even).

by the way, even sleeping ones, i will wake them up cas i definately need it more than them. I have a young life in me to protect.

Last edited:

racheltan

They should reserve a cabin that is only for pregnant ladies/handicap/elderly etc. And have a staff inside the cabin who will help people with different needs. Having to squeeze with others in mrt during peak hours when u r pregnant is really inconvenient!

pkshl

share with you my condition, i'm having spotting during early pregnancy about 6 weeks then, i took mc for many days and subsequently my husband fetch me to work untill my check up on 10 weeks when doctor said my baby is ok. after than my husband did not fetch me any more cos i'm working at centre ,my husband working at tuas, we live at west. If he were to fetch me i have to wake up at 6 and reach office 630. my working hr is 830 to 6pm... so i decided since gynae said ok then i will take public transprot to work n at the same time let my husband has more rest also cos he work late very often.

So whent taking public transport i will try to sit because i want to avoid long standing (taking cab everyday to work is too expensive for me). so there is once i sit on priority seat (i'm 11 weeks tummy not shown up yet somemore i wear babydoll top) then this pregnant lady also stand in front me with a bigger tummy (about 6 to 7 month pregy?) i did not give up my seat to her cos i also need the seat . but to others ppl on the train, i'm consider as an inconsiderate comuters cos i occupy the priority seat n i doesn't look like pregnant. mayb some of you think i should give up my seat to cos her tummy is bigger but to me i dont cos I hav spotting before so i will try every chance to sit if there is a place to sit even waiting bus in the bustop.

I mean some time we dont judge the person whether he/she should give up the seat by the look. he/she could have some underlying problems which we dont know. I mean just my thought .
hi, IMO, i tink its ok for u to remain seated in the priorty seat cos u r also pregnant. in case anyone ask u to give up yr seat, u juz reply u r pregnant & feeling tired.

there was once when i took mrt with my hubby when i was 3mths+ pregnant. that time my tummy not obvious yet but i still sat on the piorty seat while my hubby stand in front of me(cos crowded train). when the train came to a stop, this aunty told me to give up my seat for an eldery man. before i could answer her, my hubby told her loudly "excuse me, my wife is pregnant". den the aunty apologised to me.she said cos my tummy not obvious yet so she duno. i told her its ok. endup she went to tel a student sitting on another priorty seat to give up her seat to the eldery man.

jasobias

Yup mummies..must always remember to thank the person who gives up his seat.I always do tht.But also i always ask for a seat when i was preggers.Most pple do oblige.
I sometimes take the priority seat if empty in train even though i am no longer pregnant but i make it a point to keep a lookout for someone who needs it more than me.Everytime pple come in i will look ard like some kpoh..hahhaha.But no choice lah.If anyone sits in priority seat then be prepared to give it up to someone who needs it more than u .

angelia286

Well I am now in my 38th / 39th week of pregnancy and out of the Mondays to Fridays that I take the train to work from my 1st week of pregnancy, I was offered a seat on the MRT a GRAND total of 2 times! :tlaugh:

I mean I don't mind as well I am paying the same fare as everyone else, so I guess I will have to accept the same treatment. In fact, I gave up hoping for a seat at the last month of my 2nd trimester and would usually just move to the doorway to lean against the railing.

But what I do not appreciate is that even though I don't expect a seat, don't expect people to give a seat to me and just wish that everyone will leave me alone standing for the next 45 minutes, I get pushed around and squeezed. And when they hit my stomach with their bags and I pushed back at them, they gave me a dirty look!

So in the end, instead of a 1/2 hour trip to work, I will go through the longer route to guarantee myself a seat - which is to take the train back to the end of the route - Pasir Ris and then to Raffles Place. That takes me a total of 50 minutes to reach my workplace. If i manage to wake up super early, I will choose to take the bus from my house in Tampines to Raffles Place taking 1 hour 45 minutes. But at the very least, I don't have to face the sardine feeling of the MRT.

Sometimes, I feel that perhapes pregnant woman have to just take own personal responsibility to gain the respect of those who are not pregnant. Reason being when I was not pregnant and I was obviously very sick (vomitting & nauseausness & cramps in my legs & giddiness) and I managed to get a seat and the people around starts to tsk tsk because I snatched the seat from a pregnant person.

Since I was in both positions - sick, pregnant positions, I can empathise with both.

This is just my two cents worth. Hopefully I have not offended anybody! :shyxxx:

xlan

They should reserve a cabin that is only for pregnant ladies/handicap/elderly etc. And have a staff inside the cabin who will help people with different needs. Having to squeeze with others in mrt during peak hours when you are pregnant is really inconvenient!
ya.. agree.. i tink is a great idea!

there was once when i was in week 7 or 8.. my lower abs feel so strained n cramped n i was super duper tired.. that i purposely missed 3 trains just to skip the crowd.. n i noticed there was this man in wheel-chair.. missed the 3 trains as well.. n even when i boarded the 4th train he was still waiting.. cos no1 willing to alight n make room for him to board.. not even a single train station staff was there to help neither.. sigh.. if only there's such special cabin catered then.. he would not have to wait like forever.. :msad:

Ting

a special cabin would be a good idea, but implementing it would take some time though.
esp during peak hrs, the cabins r alr over crowded, if they take out a section in each cabin(which is required given the numbers of elderly n pregger ladies) there will be lesser room, also, the extra manpower required to help the needy.
that would also mean, transport fees will go UP. n i would think majority of the public wont be too happy abt it since they r not entitled to the "special" treatment.

xlan

transport fees will still go up no matter if there's better service or colder aircon watever..

but i do agree is not easy to implement such special cabin, esp is not beneficial to the majority.. is more like a dream..