Should baby start on rice cereal at 3mths or 4mths?

snowbear

You may wanna read up on this at Is Baby Ready for Solid Food? Signs of being ready for solid foods at wholesomebabyfood.com. Take a look at the list of cues and see if your baby is ready.

In any case, the earliest to start is 4 months, not any earlier. You may wanna read this too for early introduction of solids.

If you really think your baby is ready at 4 months, go ahead and start. Otherwise, if your baby is gaining wt well on milk alone so far, it is advisable to hold back till baby is about 6 months. :)

Last edited:

thepinkdot

Usually its not really recommended... Their digestive system might not be too ready for food even though they do show signs of being interest. Try to hold it off as long as you can till 5-6 months?

uddermummy

You may wanna read up on this at Is Baby Ready for Solid Food? Signs of being ready for solid foods at wholesomebabyfood.com. Take a look at the list of cues and see if your baby is ready.

In any case, the earliest to start is 4 months, not any earlier. You may wanna read this too for early introduction of solids.

If you really think your baby is ready at 4 months, go ahead and start. Otherwise, if your baby is gaining wt well on milk alone so far, it is advisable to hold back till baby is about 6 months. :)
agree with snowbear and thepinkdot.

the prob is that the older gen always think that it's better to start on solids asap cos milk seems to be too liquid (duh!) and may not be nutritious enough.

guess what? They're wrong. :p bbs actually still get the bulk of their nutrients from milk even when they start on solids at the age of 6months, and do so until they are more than a year old.

I think it's also a competition thing. They have this mentaility that the earlier you start bbs on solids, the more developed and smarter bb is.

Catty

Can i try feeding my baby those "Heinz Organic" (Recommend for 4 mths and above) once or twice a week? :001_302:

Think should not start on solids or semi solids too early as advised by the PDs at Polyclinic and KKH. According to PDs, babies who start solids too early might developed allergies to certain food. Babies might not be ready too as their digestive system not ready.. Hope it helps.. :)

apollo

Think should not start on solids or semi solids too early as advised by the PDs at Polyclinic and Kandang Kerbau Hospital. According to PDs, babies who start solids too early might developed allergies to certain food. Babies might not be ready too as their digestive system not ready.. Hope it helps.. :)
ya seems lik alot ppl reco baby to start solid foods at 5-6mths... my mum also ask me not to start to early..

Regina.. according to PDs, best time to start is at 6mths and is on bab cereal for a month and at 7th month, start on porridge... And there are certain food like fish and fruits types to be introduced at different stage..

apollo

Regina.. according to PDs, best time to start is at 6mths and is on bab cereal for a month and at 7th month, start on porridge... And there are certain food like fish and fruits types to be introduced at different stage..
oh thanks... cos my friend and cousin intro cereal to their babies when they reach 4th mth.. think i shd wait until he's older then intro him cereal, or mayb seek for pd's advice when he goes for his 4th mth jab :001_302:

annie

it might seems interesting n exciting to start bb on solid but then u got a whole life to let them eat solid after that! y rush? a bit meaningless?

kenxf_03

Usually its not really recommended... Their digestive system might not be too ready for food even though they do show signs of being interest. Try to hold it off as long as you can till 5-6 months?
yap, my DS's PD also suggest to give Ds cereal at later stage, let say after 6 mths? His explanation is baby's digestive system is not fully developed yet and DS's tummy is still very windy. So his stomach may not be able to take it. Hence, Hb and I have decided to let Ds have his 1st cereal after 6 mth to play safe.

apollo

yap, my dear son's pediatrician also suggest to give dear son cereal at later stage, let say after 6 mths? His explanation is baby's digestive system is not fully developed yet and dear son's tummy is still very windy. So his stomach may not be able to take it. Hence, husband and I have decided to let dear son have his 1st cereal after 6 month to play safe.
then i better wait too since it's not impt to start early too.. haha..:tlaugh:

snowbear

it might seems interesting and exciting to start baby on solid but then you got a whole life to let them eat solid after that! why rush? a bit meaningless?
yeah, well said... there's a whole lifetime ahead for us to feed them with solids! :D

jasobias

Me i did feed my boys cereal really early about 3 months.They were ready fr my point of view.Cld hold heads steady at 2 months and when i introduced food they really enjoyed it.and they took it well so i just continued .But my boys were huge.about 8kg at 3 months and were feeding 150ml every 2 hours or less thts why i started solids.Guess it depends on individual babies.

Caroltpl

my baby doctor asked me to start rice cereal for her when she reach 4th month but bit by bit at a time till she fully acceptable to solid food...and they provide me with few packs of free rice cereal to try on...but she don't seems to like it...she will spit out when i feed her..

snowbear

my baby doctor asked me to start rice cereal for her when she reach 4th month but bit by bit at a time till she fully acceptable to solid food...and they provide me with few packs of free rice cereal to try on...but she dont't seems to like it...she will spit out when i feed her..
Do you mean that she'd push it out with her tongue? Then perhaps your bb isn't ready for semisolids because she hasn't lost the tongue-thrust reflex. Here's a list of cues to check if your bb's ready for semisolids:
Is Baby Ready for Solid Food? Signs of being ready for solid foods at wholesomebabyfood.com

Sometimes pd may suggest that bb can start semisolids at 4mths but if you observe your bb and think your bb isn't quite ready for it, there's really no need to rush into it. :)

uddermummy

it might seems interesting and exciting to start baby on solid but then you got a whole life to let them eat solid after that! why rush? a bit meaningless?
wahahaha! annie, i agree with you. It's fun to give bbs semi-sols but i really miss the convenience of not having to wash up after her.

now, must clean up the chair, the floor, the utensils, myself and bb!

uddermummy

yup, agree with snowbear. :)

btw, you might want to be careful if the doc seems to be recommending certain kinds of bb cereals cos the cereal companies give incentives to docs who recommend their products. :(

usually, doctors are v hesistant about handling out samples or recommending certain stuff cos they don't want to seem like they are promoting stuff.

another reason why we should wait till bb is older is because bbs younger than 6 months don't really have good tongue control. They tend to push out food cos they haven't learnt how to push the food in with their tongue.

also, young babies don't really know how to show that they're full, so it's really best to wait until they're really ready before starting semi-solids.