sleeping positions

Hi all!

I read that it's best to sleep in your left side and I tried doing so but whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, I would be sleeping on my back, which is said to be no good. Is it ok? I can't control my turning around when I'm asleep.

I used to sleep sideways, with a little tilting towards my belly but I stopped doing that since I reach my second trimester cos belly getting bigger and no good. Anyone experience the sane thing as me?

Vonn55

Dun worry too much, it's ok to slp with ur back position, as long as u dun feel breathless or uncomfortable... But yes, it is good to slp with side ways, especially left side...
But u really dun need to worry about what position I ended up with.. No harm actually..

PinkDiamonds

I think sleeping on the back too long tends to constrict the vessels which are sending oxygen/food to the baby, thus it's not advisable. You may try to sleep in a reclining position if you want to sleep on your back though. :)

How does reclining position works?

The prob is I started with Sideway but when I woke up I'm lying on my back le. Can't help it. I seldom move from left to right position now like last time cos maybe now heavier, stop at centre. Haha

Vonn55

Try hugging a bolster (1 leg cross over the other side) and maybe get extra pillow to support ur back while u're on ur side..
I use that method during pregnancy:)
It helps alot, hope it helps u too..

Dragontail

May I know why sleeping on the left side is recommended?

When the tummy gets bigger, do get a flat cushion to pillow the tummy when you're lying on the side. This will help to comfort the mother a bit. I did ask my gf who recommended this that what if i turn to the other side in the middle of the night? She said subconciously you will switch the cushion to the other side when you turn :p

Hi Cherry Blossom, I have the same issue as you as I am a regular back sleeper. Was a little conscious about it and affected my sleep then decided I cannot be bothered and just sleep in whichever position I want. Now that I'm 23rd week and tummy getting bigger, I realised I will naturally sleep on my side at night because it's more comfortable than back sleeping so I think nothing to worry about,

Hi Katherine57,
I see.. So u feel bb movement at week 23 ?

I'm week 20 tmr but still don't feel anything. Sometimes do feel something but I dont know it's my tummy or baby cos my stomach always not well .. Haha. So looking forward to feel bb moving inside!

Yes I felt baby moving at week 19. First day I actually felt it was very light ticklish feeling but next day, it became stronger and more obvious. Need to lie still then will feel it. Don't worry too much, it will come and will get stronger and stronger as each day passes. My baby tends to move more in early mornings like 6am and late at night like 10-11pm

Hi katherine17

I think I start feeling movement or some light feeling touching my stomach from side from 20 weeks after my detailed scan. :) still waiting to feel it more strongly. :)

PeiPei A

Try hugging a bolster (1 leg cross over the other side) and maybe get extra pillow to support your back while you're on your side..
I use that method during pregnancy:)
It helps alot, hope it helps you too..
Think I'm having water retention, left feet looks swollen. Heard need to raise the legs higher..
But how to raise while sleeping on the left side? Contridicting hahahaha...
:wong31:

I think raising during sitting down will helps also. I'm starting to have cramps in right leg now if I walk too much during the day.

Cherryblossom, If the feelings get stronger day by day then it is the one! :)

Peipei: I think still can raise while sleeping sideways.. Just raise while you are sideways. My feet already swollen since week 17 so early Serious right.. Haha. but I have the habit of kicking the pillow on the floor when I put it st my feet.

Katherine: today whole day stomach bloated, and very busy work day using lots of brain cells.. Don't feel baby much leh :( even if did, seems to be the wrong position cos the feeling inside seems too high on my tummy, almost like below my breast bone!

MamaDT

Peipei: I think still can raise while sleeping sideways.. Just raise while you are sideways. My feet already swollen since week 17 so early Serious right.. Haha. but I have the habit of kicking the pillow on the floor when I put it st my feet.

Katherine: today whole day stomach bloated, and very busy work day using lots of brain cells.. Don't feel baby much leh :( even if did, seems to be the wrong position cos the feeling inside seems too high on my tummy, almost like below my breast bone!
Hey Cherry Blossom

I just went to see my gynae yesterday, she mentioned that sleep facing right or left is ok as long as dun sleep on the back can already :)

She also advised me to ensure that there is at least one baby movement a day from now. usually lie down and wait slowly sure can at least feel abit.. below belly button (slightly left to right) area dear.. if not, try talking / singing/ humming while lying on the bed to baby for awhile then u just suddenly stop your singing/hums and wait for awhile to see if there is any feeling. :) that's what i do to feel the little one's light kick on me at this stage

Jia you Jia you!

Hi mamaDT

So far I felt some poking on my tummy at times but I'm not sure is it baby or not. Sometimes thought could it be my own heart beat that cause the thud thud feeling. Really confused! Many MTB say they can hear baby heartbeat but when I asked the radiographer during my detailed scan, she say cannot be must be our pulses. Haha

I guess when the kicks get stronger, I can better regconise it. Can't wait to feel my baby kicking!

By the way mamaDT, how many weeks are you into now?

Hi Cherryblossom, it's normal to feel your heart thumping faster because it really is!! But the feeling under breast bone should be baby. At around 20 weeks, it should still be below belly button. I'm at 23 weeks now and the movement have migrated to belly button sometimes :) agree with mamaDT, need to lie down for a while before can feel baby moving. Or you can try talking to baby, sometimes it works for me. Good luck!