So many types of cereal...blur!!

sharonyi66

Mummies,

I just went to NTUC, planning to buy a cereal to start Inez on but there's sooo many brands/types/flavours to choose from.. Seeing them just make me feel so blur :shyxxx:

Inez is now 4mths 3weeks old, turning 6mths in March 20.

Can advise on the following cereals or what types you all been giving to your baby?

Healthy Times - Barley Cereal for Baby
Healthy Times - Mixed Grain Cereal for Baby
Healthy Times - Brown Rice Cereal for Baby
Nestle Cerelac - Brown Rice Cereal
Nestle Cerelac - Rice Cereal

All these cereals can start giving to baby around 5mths plus? Or have to wait till 6mths?

Which type of cereal is better, Organic or normal?

Phoebii Cheng

Hi sharon

I gave my son heinz plain rice cereal tht can be given to bbs after 4mths....but tried it he did not like it, so waited a few weeks before trying again...

Some mummies here give organic rice cereal to their bbs.....

For me, so long as my son is healthy & well that is enough, so far I hv not given my son organic stuff

sharonyi66

Hi sharon

I gave my son heinz plain rice cereal tht can be given to bbs after 4mths....but tried it he did not like it, so waited a few weeks before trying again...

Some mummies here give organic rice cereal to their bbs.....

For me, so long as my son is healthy & well that is enough, so far I have not given my son organic stuff
I know about the Heinz Baby rice cereal (blue box) but seems to be OOS for very long time already..

I went to many supermakets (cold storage, shop & save, ntuc), still couldn't find it.. only their baby jar food is available...

diymummy

I used to feed my boy the Heinz rice cereal (blue box). Since it became OOS, the closest was Healthy Times brown rice cereal.

If you're just starting out, go for those that only has one grain instea of mixed grains so that you can weed out allergies.

I've also tried the Nestle one. It's sweet because it has added sugar. It also has glutten and some also includes milk. My boy is allergic to that line of cereal. I think it has too many things in it already.

Phoebii Cheng

Oh you mean it is all sold out?

Or another way u can do is you can grind your own rice or brown rice cereal for ur bb.....

Cos in abt two mths time u can start ur bb on porridge.....

sharonyi66

Oh you mean it is all sold out?

Or another way you can do is you can grind your own rice or brown rice cereal for your baby.....

Cos in about two mths time you can start your baby on porridge.....
Yup... not sure is it temporary OOS coz been looking for it whenever i'm in the supermart but to no available..

Maybe i'll try the healthy times brown rice cereal as Inez 1st solid coz understand that brown rice is still better then white rice..right??

sharonyi66

But few months down the road? My mil told me she's going to grind brown rice with ikan bilis to feed baby as porriadge when her demand for solids is higher...

apollo

ds has been taking HT brown rice cereal since he started on solid food. let him tried b4 Oatmeal one too.. he is okay with both. had bought a box of Heinz banana cereal but have yet to let him try. =)

diymummy

Maybe can grind white rice instead of brown rice if you scared heaty. My boy has been eating white rice porridge since he started porridge. Or if you scared heaty you can also feed some barley water to your baby.

apollo

But few months down the road? My mother in law told me she's going to grind brown rice with ikan bilis to feed baby as porriadge when her demand for solids is higher...
what i do was, to mix brown rice and rice to cook porridge. brown rice not only causes constiptation on ds, he also dont lik brown rice, so i gonna mix.. =)

Phoebii Cheng

I think two months later ur daugther can eat normal porridge with pureed veges....you can also still give her brown rice, if u scared too heaty then mayb give her once or twice a week...maybe u can ask ur mom if brown rice is heaty? then u let her know of ur daughter's condition and request her to only give ur daughter once or twice a week....

Your mom taking care of Inez?

Ting

im not sure if brown rice is really more "heaty" but brown rice actually makes the baby fuller n stronger.
as what my mum says, if baby takes brown rice will hv stronger legs, esp when they r learning to stand n walk.
if brown rice more "heaty" just give more water lorr.

btw, your baby poos only once every 7-9 days? tt seems bad ya know.

Last edited:

sharonyi66

I think two months later your daugther can eat normal porridge with pureed veges....you can also still give her brown rice, if you scared too heaty then mayb give her once or twice a week...maybe you can ask your mom if brown rice is heaty? then you let her know of your daughter's condition and request her to only give your daughter once or twice a week....

Your mom taking care of Inez?
My mil is taking care of Inez when im working. Will take over the 'task' once im home..

sharonyi66

im not sure if brown rice is really more "heaty" but brown rice actually makes the baby fuller n stronger.
as what my mum says, if baby takes brown rice will have stronger legs, esp when they r learning to stand n walk.
if brown rice more "heaty" just give more water lorr.

btw, your baby poos only once every 7-9 days? that seems bad ya know.
Spoken to private and kkh pd and all said is NORMAL!!! Kaoz... 1st time i heard bb nv poo for days are normal, somemore she's fully on my B-milk -.-"""

sharonyi66

what i do was, to mix brown rice and rice to cook porridge. brown rice not only causes constiptation on dear son, he also dont lik brown rice, so i gonna mix.. =)
ya think purely brown rice will taste awful.. so i'm gonna mix it as well

meiteoh

Personally, you don't have to start with cereal as a first foods but it has always been traditional to give rice (white or brown) as it's least allergenic compared to other grains.

What I did was give Eva rice for four days and then moved straight to just one fruit/veg puree. Reason being is that rice together with apples, and bananas are constipation - nothing to do with liang or cold. I didn't want to give her rice all the time so I intro-ed barley, millet and oatmeal which I read helps with constipation - especially barley. Together with these, I also intro-ed "poo" fruits like pear, peach and plum. I never give her cereals alone - always mix it with fruits and veg puree to give more variety and flavour. Plus I make my own multigrain mix by mixing all these grains up (after observing the four day rule). So far, she loves barley and doesn't really like millet or rice on its own.

All the brands for cereals are by HT except for rice which is the Heinz brand - I bought this while I was in KL.

Regarding poo frequency: It's okay for 100% BM fed babies (no solids or water) to go on for a week without poo-ing. But once they start solids, they should poo anywhere between thrice a day to once every three days. Any longer and it could lead or is already constipation as the longer poo stays in the body, the harder it becomes.

Last edited: