So many types of cereal...blur!!

isabelandrew

Mummies,

I just went to NTUC, planning to buy a cereal to start Inez on but there's sooo many brands/types/flavours to choose from.. Seeing them just make me feel so blur :shyxxx:

Inez is now 4mths 3weeks old, turning 6mths in March 20.

Can advise on the following cereals or what types you all been giving to your baby?

Healthy Times - Barley Cereal for Baby
Healthy Times - Mixed Grain Cereal for Baby
Healthy Times - Brown Rice Cereal for Baby
Nestle Cerelac - Brown Rice Cereal
Nestle Cerelac - Rice Cereal

All these cereals can start giving to baby around 5mths plus? Or have to wait till 6mths?

Which type of cereal is better, Organic or normal?
hi there, i started feeding my bb ard 7 months but PD said can feed earlier like 5 mths if bb dun drink milk well.

i gave her healthy times - one grain only. the brown rice cereal. it actually smell great :)

try for a min of 1 week then i let her try barley, oatmeal, etc.

I started Isabelle with HT brown rice at 4.5mths (recommended by pead), she has brown rice for lunch and she loves it to bits. Going on to oatmeal soon. Personally, i dont think brown rice are heaty, as Isabelle poo once or twice everyday. Before, weaning her brown rice, she poo 4 days once. So far for her puree (at 5 mths, for dinner), she tried HT butternut, apple, pear, sweet potatoes, Heniz organic pumpkin, organic papaya ( she dont like it ) I'm giving her HT sweet peas later on. And like what mabel says: 4 days rule, to test for allergies.

Last edited:

newbie2009

After you give your baby solid food (cereal or brown rice) do we have introduce water to the baby? So far my baby has been on only BM. No water yet.

meiteoh

It's advisable to as babies need the extra water to help their kidneys handle the load of flushing out impurities from the body. Plus water will also help prevent constipation especially with high fibre foods like brown rice and oatmeal. But not too much. I read that anywhere between 1-2 oz for BM-fed babies is good enough as too much water can spoil their appetite for milk which should still be their main source of nutrients.

Ein

My son is 5mths 10days old :) ive started him on solids at his coming of 5mths. Feeding him organic rice cereal from this brand called "Only Organic" from New Zealand. I bought it from Carrefour at Suntec. I don't know if other places sell this brand or not. So far my son seems happy to eat it. I mix 2tbs of ceral with 1sp of his milk and add water to the desired consistency. This keeps him full for abt 2-3hrs. After feed will let him drink 1-2oz of water to wash it down. Afternoon will give him half a bottle of heinz baby food as a snack. But this only keeps him full for 2hrs MAX. He's a big eater and i don't think he's fussy (hopefully). He poos almost every other day. If not twice a day! Main thing is when your baby starts on solids, you need to give them water if not quite difficult for them to do biggie :)

Mummies,

I just went to NTUC, planning to buy a cereal to start Inez on but there's sooo many brands/types/flavours to choose from.. Seeing them just make me feel so blur :shyxxx:

Inez is now 4mths 3weeks old, turning 6mths in March 20.

Can advise on the following cereals or what types you all been giving to your baby?

Healthy Times - Barley Cereal for Baby
Healthy Times - Mixed Grain Cereal for Baby
Healthy Times - Brown Rice Cereal for Baby
Nestle Cerelac - Brown Rice Cereal
Nestle Cerelac - Rice Cereal

All these cereals can start giving to baby around 5mths plus? Or have to wait till 6mths?

Which type of cereal is better, Organic or normal?
my babysitter recommended me to get nestle cerelac - rice cereal (without infant milk). there's 1 with infant milk. i attended the weaning talk from BMSG and the speaker also said the 1 with milk is too tasty, end up baby will reject porridge. so my babysitter usu will add 1 baby spoon of this cereal to the milk to make baby feel fuller, else every 3 hours has to feed him 240ml of FM. on wkends i will use this cereal and add a bit of FM to make it into porridge-like and feed son if i very busy, else i will cook own porridge for son to eat then add some heinz puree to give the porridge flavour. coz bbsitter started son on fish porridge n meat porridge when he was 6mths old so i cant feed him plain porridge anymore. son is 7mths old now.

personally i would prefer to wait till 6mths old then start, no harm starting late. if start too early we not sure if baby organs can take it or not, esp the liver. and outside made cereals, no matter how little, sure have additives etc in it. so home made porridge is always preferred lo. but if really busy then bo bian, use instant cereal is ok. brown rice maybe can wait till baby is 8mths coz i heard brown rice can cause indigestion easier than normal rice cereal.

meiteoh

Not all instant cereals have additives - need to read the ingredients list; organic brands have just the said cereal (rice/oatmeal/barley) and an iron component. :)

cmeilim

we've been giving DS organic brown rice/oatmeal/barley from Healthy Times, Earth's Best and Bellamy since he was 6 mos old. Yesterday, I let him try Heinze Banana Breakfast Cereal for the first time, and he took a long long time to eat less than half of his usual portion. I gave up feeding him. Seems like DS has expensive taste, LOL.