Starting with porridge at 6 months?

Feliz

Can i ?? cos edlycia hav been having cereal with fruit, veg since 4months old.. So tot wanna let her try something diff..

If can,

what can i give for a start?

How much to give & at what time of e day??

So i can subsitube milk to porridge? like wise for cereal also?

am i doing it right this way?? If not pls advise

7am - Milk
10am - Cereal
1-2pm - Milk
5-6pm- Porridge

milk till tmr morn and contiune agn..

apollo

Can i ?? cos edlycia hav been having cereal with fruit, veg since 4months old.. So thought wanna let her try something diff..

If can,

what can i give for a start?

How much to give & at what time of e day??

So i can subsitube milk to porridge? like wise for cereal also?

am i doing it right this way?? If not pls advise

7am - Milk
10am - Cereal
1-2pm - Milk
5-6pm- Porridge

milk till tomorrow morn and contiune agn..
felz, when ash was 5.5mth old, i intro cereal to him and at exact 6mth old, i started giving him porridge. 1x cereal, 1x porridge.

as for whether to replace solid food to milk. it depends whether ur bb is drinking enough. tt time if we dont replace ash's the milk feed, and still gif milk aft his cereal/porridge, he would be drinking 1.2litres of milk (exclude plain water) per day. so we just replace. 2x solid meal + 4x milk feed per day.

meiteoh

According to what I read, babies around 6 mths should be taking in at least 24-32 oz of FM a day BUT irrespective of how much they are drinking and whether they are on FM or BM, solids should NOT be a meal replacement as what you're intro-ing now is just to get them used to digesting new foods as well as new textures. Solid complements milk feeds at this stage and is not complete in terms of nutrition.

I started Eva on porridge at 6.5 mths (or slightly later) - can't really remember. Quantity and timing depends on you because there is no hard and fast rule. I usually alternate between cereal and porridge, if I'm serving the later to her, as she's taking in three meals a day now (been like that since 8 mths or slightly earlier) and still being BFed six times min.

vinder79

Hi my baby is 8 mths and i intro him porridge at 6 mths i gave him cereal starting 4 mths.Since u said ur baby has been taking veg/fruits since 4 mths u should intro porridge to him u.I started with white "broken"rice found in medical halls cooked with veg or apples/papaya for natural flavours to enhance taste and healty eating.(u can add fish meat if u comfortable but i recommend plain porridge first)i started by replacing the porridge first at lunch time.(Pls do not lessen milk feeds)Once he was comfortable with white rice i switched it to brown rice also cooking with fruits/veg.
His meals were like this at 6 mths
6am-BM ABT 180ML
8 Plus-Cereal WITH EBM
10 Plus-BM
12 NOON-Porridge/Water
2pm-BM
4 pm-Snack steamed fruit/Veg/Biscuits and BM
6PM-Dinner Porridge/.water
8pm-BM
11PM-EBM abt 180ml-240 ml
and he sleeps all the way till 6am.
But the facts are babies are different and so are their needs.Trial/error and advise is the only way u can make up your own eating plans 4 baby.

Ting

felz, now your girl taking in how much milk??
milk til tmr morn= how many feeds after her porridge?

she is still young, so shldnt replace one feed with porridge, just feed her abit to let her get the idea of spoon feeding.

but from 7am-6pm only 2 milk feeds, that seems very little.
i wont suggest u replace her feeds, porridge wise, just give her a little bit, then give her milk.
til she is arnd 8-9 mths (arnd there or later) then u can start to replace one feed with porridge.

Feliz

Thanks all for ur reply.. now edlycia milk & cereal feed are like this .. Pls tell me if im doin it wrong.. :embarrassed:

(plus minus)

3am - 120ML
6-7am 120ML
10am - Cereal + 30ml puree + 90ML milk or less
1pm - 90ML
3pm - 90ML
5pm - 90ML
7pm - 90ML
9pm - 90ML
11pm - 90ML

and contiune...

sometimes she will drink up to 120ML in e day but when we are out, she can go milkless for hours..

Feliz

Hi my baby is 8 mths and i intro him porridge at 6 mths i gave him cereal starting 4 mths.Since you said your baby has been taking veg/fruits since 4 mths you should intro porridge to him you.I started with white "broken"rice found in medical halls cooked with veg or apples/papaya for natural flavours to enhance taste and healty eating.(you can add fish meat if you comfortable but i recommend plain porridge first)i started by replacing the porridge first at lunch time.(Pls do not lessen milk feeds)Once he was comfortable with white rice i switched it to brown rice also cooking with fruits/veg.
His meals were like this at 6 mths
6am-breast milk about 180ML
8 Plus-Cereal WITH EBM
10 Plus-breast milk
12 NOON-Porridge/Water
2pm-breast milk
4 pm-Snack steamed fruit/Veg/Biscuits and breast milk
6PM-Dinner Porridge/.water
8pm-breast milk
11PM-EBM about 180ml-240 ml
and he sleeps all the way till 6am.
But the facts are babies are different and so are their needs.Trial/error and advise is the only way you can make up your own eating plans 4 baby.
Hi vinder, got a stupid ques.. :001_302: if u r goin out, like whole day.. how u feed ur son porridge?? Cos im always going out, seldom home mum.. hehehhe:tlaugh:

apollo

Thanks all for your reply.. now edlycia milk & cereal feed are like this .. Pls tell me if im doin it wrong.. :embarrassed:

(plus minus)

3am - 120ML
6-7am 120ML
1pm - 90ML
3pm - 90ML
5pm - 90ML
7pm - 90ML
9pm - 90ML
11pm - 90ML

and contiune...

sometimes she will drink up to 120ML in e day but when we are out, she can go milkless for hours..
usually when we go out and ds dont cry for milk, we will still gif him. =)

Hi vinder, got a stupid ques.. :001_302: if you r goin out, like whole day.. how you feed your son porridge?? Cos im always going out, seldom home mum.. hehehhe:tlaugh:
for me, i bought a thermal food jar, cooked the porridge at hm, pour in, bring out. plus his bowl and spoon =) if u wan more convenient, can bring cereal. =)

Feliz

usually when we go out and dear son dont cry for milk, we will still give him. =)

WORSE if i jus give to edlycia.. cos she wouldnt want to suckle! nw she wan to b spoon fed or cup fed for milk.. :eek:

for me, i bought a thermal food jar, cooked the porridge at hm, pour in, bring out. plus his bowl and spoon =) if you want more convenient, can bring cereal. =)

Oh ok.. at 6months old, how much porridge u give ash?

apollo

Oh ok.. at 6months old, how much porridge you give ash?
iirc, at 6mth ols he was drinking 180 every 3hrs. and at tt time, he was still an 'infant' will WAILED badly for milk once 3hrs is up, sometimes 2.5 hrs he started his whining liaoo.. now better, hungry will follow me ard the hse or 'complain' to my mum, instead of crying :tlaugh:

Ting

Thanks all for your reply.. now edlycia milk & cereal feed are like this .. Pls tell me if im doin it wrong.. :embarrassed:

(plus minus)

3am - 120ML
6-7am 120ML
1pm - 90ML
3pm - 90ML
5pm - 90ML
7pm - 90ML
9pm - 90ML
11pm - 90ML

and contiune...

if possible, give her more milk each feed, n try to drag to 3 hrs interval.

Hi vinder, got a stupid ques.. :001_302: if you r goin out, like whole day.. how you feed your son porridge?? Cos im always going out, seldom home mum.. hehehhe:tlaugh:
use a thermal jar.

vinder79

Oh ok.. at 6months old, how much porridge you give ash?
I either use a thermal jar so porridge is still hot/warm. Or i go to porridge stalls buy plain porridge (no salt/sauce)add in jerber spinach or squash.My son is veg so very difficult to just buy porridge and give it 2 him plain.
Sorry mummies but i dont intro meat to my kids till 1 yrs.I feel that their digestive system needs to be establish first.
But 5 mths plus is good to start broken rice porridge.

vinder79

(plus minus)

3am - 120ML
6-7am 120ML
1pm - 90ML
3pm - 90ML
5pm - 90ML
7pm - 90ML
9pm - 90ML
11pm - 90ML

and contiune...

your baby might be overwhelm with her surrondings so she does not cry fr milk but what i do is establish feeding times with my baby in between if he cries i give him water or juice.At each feed i monitor and if after the feed he starts chewing or crying i just give him a bit more cause he is growing and eating amt changes.

Feliz

iirc, at 6mth ols he was drinking 180 every 3hrs. and at that time, he was still an 'infant' will WAILED badly for milk once 3hrs is up, sometimes 2.5 hours he started his whining liaoo.. now better, hungry will follow me around the house or 'complain' to my mum, instead of crying :tlaugh:

HAHAHA.. Very cute.. :tlaugh:

Feliz

if possible, give her more milk each feed, n try to drag to 3 hours interval.

use a thermal jar.

Ting, cant give her more cos she doesnt want more den that.. n also most time 90ML i hav to "force" feed her.. :Dancing_hmm:

Feliz

I either use a thermal jar so porridge is still hot/warm. Or i go to porridge stalls buy plain porridge (no salt/sauce)add in jerber spinach or squash.My son is veg so very difficult to just buy porridge and give it 2 him plain.
Sorry mummies but i dont intro meat to my kids till 1 yrs.I feel that their digestive system needs to be establish first.
But 5 mths plus is good to start broken rice porridge.

Vinder, so nw i can try giving her broken rice porridge? Wat shld i add inside for a start? and how much to give her??

Sorry if i still sound so stupid in askin e same ques.. cos i still catch no ball lehh.. :shyxxx:

Feliz

your baby might be overwhelm with her surrondings so she does not cry fr milk but what i do is establish feeding times with my baby in between if he cries i give him water or juice.At each feed i monitor and if after the feed he starts chewing or crying i just give him a bit more cause he is growing and eating amt changes.

Thats what her PD say.. My girl wouldnt cry if she doesnt want anymore milk, she would close her mouth tightly and/or spit out e milk...

Im afraid if i give her juice in between, she would wan e juice and not milk anymore!.. :err: thats also e reason why i hav not intro juice to her..

vinder79

Vinder, so now i can try giving her broken rice porridge? what shld i add inside for a start? and how much to give her??

Sorry if i still sound so stupid in askin e same ques.. cos i still catch no ball lehh.. :shyxxx:
Nope pls dont feel that way.
u go to medical hall cause the rice they have in my opion is more cleaner.Buy broken rice.Buy spinach.
5 tbs broken rice washed till water is clear.Put in pan add 1 glass of water and boil on low fire.Cut 3 stalks spinach wash and put into blender with 5 tbs water.blend.Once u see porridge has been cooked add in spinach puree and cook for 8 mins.for first few days make the porrdge slightly watery then u can slowly in days make it thicker.

You can make porridge with squash,potatoes,sweet potatoes(natural sweetness)Brocolli,carrots,apples,pears.If u wanna u can add ikan bilis to the rice u are boiling so there is taste(sorry my baby veg for now so i dont do it) when the rice cooks remove the ikan bilis.the porridge will have the taste.
I even steam the carrots and veg mention above and mash them for him to eat with the porridge or by themselves.
U can blend the veg for 1.5mths more or when your baby gums start hardening.

vinder79

Thats what her pediatrician say.. My girl wouldnt cry if she doesnt want anymore milk, she would close her mouth tightly and/or spit out e milk...

Im afraid if i give her juice in between, she would want e juice and not milk anymore!.. :err: thats also e reason why i hav not intro juice to her..
When outside and u wanna feed her or its her feeding time put her down on her pram making her face u so she does not see any one else and will feed.Otherwise bring her to the nursing room.Tried and tested with my sons.

As 4 the juice maybe u should go one at a time first porridge then juice.My son till 2 day has juice diluted with water.

Dont be so afriad till u have tried u will nvr know.But since your baby is like my 2nd one during mealtimes u must put her down not let anyone pick or attend to her till she has eaten be firmm with her/them la.