Steam vegetables

atkht

Hi, is it alot of difference to steam brocoli / spinach / carrot instead of boil them interms of retaining the nutrients?

May i know how long we need to steam brocoli / carrot /spinach..
i think i always overcooked brocoli because it turns a bit yellow.. :(
As for spinach.. i'm really confused whether if its cooked... it seldom turn yellow... so i worried not cooked..
Carrot, i havent try yet

Any experienced mummies , pls advise me.

Thanks.:Dancing_wub:

Last edited:

Mummy to Baby V

Boiling is no-no cos the water-soluble vitamins end up in the water.
Unless you are cooking vegetable stock and using the stock to cook porridge/rice or let baby drink as soup.

Usually, I steam vegetables for 15-20 minutes using electric steamer, with timer, so it'd switch off. Remove promptly so it won't overcook.
For harder items like carrots / potatoes, cut into small cubes and steam for about 20 minutes until soft. As long as can poke a fork easily into the cube is fine.

For spinach, 15 minutes should be enough time. Young babies may be affected by nitrates in spinach and carrots, so I usually get organic ones and don't add the steam water into baby's food. For toddler, should be fine.

atkht

Unless you are cooking vegetable stock and using the stock to cook porridge/rice or let baby drink as soup.

Usually, I steam vegetables for 15-20 minutes using electric steamer, with timer, so it'd switch off. Remove promptly so it won't overcook.
For harder items like carrots / potatoes, cut into small cubes and steam for about 20 minutes until soft. As long as can poke a fork easily into the cube is fine.

For spinach, 15 minutes should be enough time. Young babies may be affected by nitrates in spinach and carrots, so I usually get organic ones and don't add the steam water into baby's food. For toddler, should be fine.

Thanks ya
!!

smallsmallhand

Does the nitrates come from the fertilizers that's why you only buy organic?