Sterilising breast pump at work

gentlemum

I will be returning to work soon and in addition to the worry of dip in milk supply, not sure how to sterilise breast pump parts at work. Currently, during maternity leave, I sterilise after every pump. But how to do so in the office? Any advice? Thks!!

U can sterilize using sterilizing tab. U can buy a big container n throw the tablet inside, leave it in office, everyday just bring the pump parts. The water w sterilizing tab inside can last whole day. After each pump wash the parts n throw inside the water. Before next pump take out n use. If not buy one more set of pump parts.

gentlemum

Thks Pauline. But my friend says tablets have a smell. Which brand are you using? PigeoN
? can we get from Taka?

I haven't buy the tab. I happened to try one tab given by my coll when I go back office during maternity, her brand is Milton. I think baby dept at departmental store or kiddy palace should have? Yes that water will hv chlorine smell. So I will shake the parts n bottle until as dry as possible. Anyway on the box it stated is for baby use.

Suddenly remembered, my coll do this: after she pump, she put the pump parts in a ziplock bag n keep into the fridge. I think maybe because cool temperature protect it from bacterial growing. Same logic as we keep ebm in fridge . Gentlemum, u can do this if office has fridge.

Alisa

actually i never sterlise after i came back to work. i will wash with detergent after every pump only.

Jode

I soak the parts in hot water after each pump.
Yes. The tablets does have a smell. I used the Pigeon ones before. But since its safe for baby use, should be ok i guess.
Also read somewhere that you can keep the parts in the fridge until the next pump.
My colleague uses the Medela bag, where you can put the parts in the bag and fill with water, and then put in microwave to sterilise.

gentlemum

Thks for replies . My colleague uses medela sterilising wipes from Taka . Wil get them instead of the tablets before I put in fridge .

Actually there's no need to sterilize after each pump..just wash with warm water...only need to sterilize once a day according to the medela instruction manual..